“Not up to Hampton's usual standards” 3 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6124 West Calhoun Drive, Alexandria, LA 71303   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 20 hotels in Alexandria
decoho
“Not up to Hampton's usual standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Hampton Inn is usually my hotel of choice, and when I became ill on a recent trip I stopped here for the night. I never did get the room cooled off. I had problems with the thermostat the whole time, and the internet kept throwing me off. The coffee pot was on a shelf behind the bathroom door and I didn't find it until I got ready to leave. But of course, there is always coffee in the lobby. I really wish hotels would offer more gluten free choices. At least one cereal. The bed was comfortable and the shower was great. It is still better than most of the hotels in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Stan C, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is a nice comfortable friendly hotel! I have stayed a few times and been pleased each time! Jeron is great at greeting the customers and makes them feel welcome! Will definitely stay again! Hotel sits next to Cracker Barrel & Eddie's Bar B.Q. McDonalds & Burger King very close. Good proximity to airport. Best choice for staying in Alexandria.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

It is a nice and clean hotel with close acess to the airport and I-49. It is also close to a really good BBQ joint whixh is next fdoor. I did not notice the noise complaints logged by others. I was on the 4th floor, odd number (facing north I think)

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Kuwells, thank you for your review of our hotel. We appreciate your recognition of the standard Hampton values and services you have come to expect when staying with this brand. Our goal is to ensure that our staff, hotel and values are perfect examples of Hamptonality!
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

1 night, king room on 4th floor. Typical Hampton layout, clean fairly fresh and nice all in all.

They were painting when I got up to the 4th floor so hallway smelled a bit, no big deal. Carpets and furnishings looked fairly new and fresh, room was clean but the little things I noticed were showing wear like the caulking in and around the shower, the holes that were patched up and painted carelessly, the towel holder that was mounted far from level.

Small gym, didn't use it as I was still under the weather. Breakfast was nice, little evening reception was also a suprise, they served wine and homemade meatballs.

The one thing I noticed while walking in but didn't think much of it was the freight train that passed but blowing it's horn as other reviewers had mentioned. It was several times throughout the nigth and it was loud and quite audible. That would be a major issue for me on future stays because I am a light sleeper and this train woke me up 3 times throughout the night. The bed was comfortable but not comfotable enough for a sound sleep, was up and down all night either due to the train, cars passing on the highway outside or the HVAC going on and off.

Not much in terms of quality food in the area unless you like Wendy's and McDonalds.

Stay again? I think I would drive a bit farther to reach my destination before staying in Alexandria again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Appleton, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Booked a night here over the Thanksgiving weekend (the Fri-to-Sat night) while touring in the area. Arrived at around 6:30PM and there was no "rush" occurring, and yet the sole front desk clerk seemed overwhelmed and poorly trained to handle anything not "by the book"...when I arrived he was on the phone with a prospective guest and had to keep asking his manager (who for some reason did not stay out front to handle me standing there waiting) what to do.

When I was finally assigned my room, I opened the door and it was stifling hot and the blower was blowing hot air, even though when I checked the thermostat was set to a much lower temperature. I immediately returned to the front desk to have my room re-assigned, and the overwhelmed clerk was on yet another call, and again he was stumbling through it. His manager again came out (still couldn't figure out why he wasn't just STAYING out front by this point), indicated that some thermostats had recently been "upgraded", but I didn't care, all I wanted was a functional room. They re-assigned me to an upgraded room (which I appreciated, but didn't need given that I was a solo traveler), and again the thermostat did not accurately regulate the temperature of the room. This time, I simply elected to shut the unit off altogether and use ambient temperature for the night, given outside temps in the 40s this night (the room stayed around 70 for the night). That worked out well enough, but obviously if it were hotter or colder out this would not have worked.

I should also note a couple of other issues I experienced:

- There was no acknowledgement of my HiltonHonors Diamond status, and the Hampton amenities accdorded by said status (water/snack) were not provided, either in my originally-assigned room (reserved well in advance), or at the desk upon check-in. I don't particularly care about being personally acknowledged for my status, but I DO expect the status amenities.

- This property is located directly adjacent to an active railroad line, and the train conductors DO seem to like blowing their air horns as they approach the crossings nearby this property. This was not a problem for me during my night here, but it's worth noting as I've read other reviews here on TA where the guests WERE affected.

This property has a staff training problem, a manager presence problem (I'm sure there had to be a reason why the manager didn't stay out front, but whatever it was, it didn't reflect well to this HH Diamond guest), and of course a thermostat problem in at least 2 rooms (and probably more, given informal conversations I had with other guests in the elevator and at breakfast). Very disappointed; I stay at Hampton properties all over the country and this one was definitely not up to even minimum standards for the night I stayed here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bossier City, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I usually stay at the Marriott Courtyard in Alexandria but they didn't have a room available so I stayed here. A little inconvenient due to being north of town although there is a BBQ place, Cracker Barrel, Burger King, and McDonald's nearby. Wasn't as clean as I'd like - there was someone else's hair in the bathroom sink, the shower curtain had mold all over the bottom of it, and the carpet in the bedroom part of the room felt sticky somehow. What really bothered me was this room was $149/nite - same as I pay at Marriott and there's no comparison in what you get for the money. Both offer free buffet breakfasts by the way, but this hotel is near the railroad track!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Nice, clean stay. You won't be disappointed.

It is a little bit of a quirk trying to get to the location - just remember it is on a frontage road.

There is a wonderful Cajun place within walking distance of the property.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!