“Typical Hampton Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Alexandria
Santa Barbara, California
“Typical Hampton Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

It is a nice and clean hotel with close acess to the airport and I-49. It is also close to a really good BBQ joint whixh is next fdoor. I did not notice the noise complaints logged by others. I was on the 4th floor, odd number (facing north I think)

• Stayed March 2013
Stan C, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Kuwells, thank you for your review of our hotel. We appreciate your recognition of the standard Hampton values and services you have come to expect when staying with this brand. Our goal is to ensure that our staff, hotel and values are perfect examples of Hamptonality!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

1 night, king room on 4th floor. Typical Hampton layout, clean fairly fresh and nice all in all.

They were painting when I got up to the 4th floor so hallway smelled a bit, no big deal. Carpets and furnishings looked fairly new and fresh, room was clean but the little things I noticed were showing wear like the caulking in and around the shower, the holes that were patched up and painted carelessly, the towel holder that was mounted far from level.

Small gym, didn't use it as I was still under the weather. Breakfast was nice, little evening reception was also a suprise, they served wine and homemade meatballs.

The one thing I noticed while walking in but didn't think much of it was the freight train that passed but blowing it's horn as other reviewers had mentioned. It was several times throughout the nigth and it was loud and quite audible. That would be a major issue for me on future stays because I am a light sleeper and this train woke me up 3 times throughout the night. The bed was comfortable but not comfotable enough for a sound sleep, was up and down all night either due to the train, cars passing on the highway outside or the HVAC going on and off.

Not much in terms of quality food in the area unless you like Wendy's and McDonalds.

Stay again? I think I would drive a bit farther to reach my destination before staying in Alexandria again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Appleton, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Booked a night here over the Thanksgiving weekend (the Fri-to-Sat night) while touring in the area. Arrived at around 6:30PM and there was no "rush" occurring, and yet the sole front desk clerk seemed overwhelmed and poorly trained to handle anything not "by the book"...when I arrived he was on the phone with a prospective guest and had to keep asking his manager (who for some reason did not stay out front to handle me standing there waiting) what to do.

When I was finally assigned my room, I opened the door and it was stifling hot and the blower was blowing hot air, even though when I checked the thermostat was set to a much lower temperature. I immediately returned to the front desk to have my room re-assigned, and the overwhelmed clerk was on yet another call, and again he was stumbling through it. His manager again came out (still couldn't figure out why he wasn't just STAYING out front by this point), indicated that some thermostats had recently been "upgraded", but I didn't care, all I wanted was a functional room. They re-assigned me to an upgraded room (which I appreciated, but didn't need given that I was a solo traveler), and again the thermostat did not accurately regulate the temperature of the room. This time, I simply elected to shut the unit off altogether and use ambient temperature for the night, given outside temps in the 40s this night (the room stayed around 70 for the night). That worked out well enough, but obviously if it were hotter or colder out this would not have worked.

I should also note a couple of other issues I experienced:

- There was no acknowledgement of my HiltonHonors Diamond status, and the Hampton amenities accdorded by said status (water/snack) were not provided, either in my originally-assigned room (reserved well in advance), or at the desk upon check-in. I don't particularly care about being personally acknowledged for my status, but I DO expect the status amenities.

- This property is located directly adjacent to an active railroad line, and the train conductors DO seem to like blowing their air horns as they approach the crossings nearby this property. This was not a problem for me during my night here, but it's worth noting as I've read other reviews here on TA where the guests WERE affected.

This property has a staff training problem, a manager presence problem (I'm sure there had to be a reason why the manager didn't stay out front, but whatever it was, it didn't reflect well to this HH Diamond guest), and of course a thermostat problem in at least 2 rooms (and probably more, given informal conversations I had with other guests in the elevator and at breakfast). Very disappointed; I stay at Hampton properties all over the country and this one was definitely not up to even minimum standards for the night I stayed here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bossier City, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I usually stay at the Marriott Courtyard in Alexandria but they didn't have a room available so I stayed here. A little inconvenient due to being north of town although there is a BBQ place, Cracker Barrel, Burger King, and McDonald's nearby. Wasn't as clean as I'd like - there was someone else's hair in the bathroom sink, the shower curtain had mold all over the bottom of it, and the carpet in the bedroom part of the room felt sticky somehow. What really bothered me was this room was $149/nite - same as I pay at Marriott and there's no comparison in what you get for the money. Both offer free buffet breakfasts by the way, but this hotel is near the railroad track!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Nice, clean stay. You won't be disappointed.

It is a little bit of a quirk trying to get to the location - just remember it is on a frontage road.

There is a wonderful Cajun place within walking distance of the property.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Hotel got the job done, but it was nothing special. Close to airport and interstate, north of Alexandria proper. They are undergoing front desk/breakfast area renovations, so a bit displaced. When I checked in the front desk lady was not so friendly, but informed me of the breakfast and happy hour in the room down the hall because of renovations. When I came back to get my free beer I walked into the room, but they were having a alcohol class. When I asked the front desk lady she was like oh not tonight...um why would she tell me 1 hour before they had happy hour?? Also, I'm a gold HH member and I hate when you have to ask to get your water/snack/extra points. Just awkward. Breakfast was nothing to write home about not as good as some other Hamptons. Rooms quiet and bed comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

This hotel is in a good location, situated near many good places to eat, gas stations, etc. It's right off the highway, but we had zero noise from there. The beds were very comfy, the updated furniture is really nice, all the amenities were great. However, they might want to update the HVAC system. Ours was one that sits directly under the window, and it was VERY loud. It also couldn't regulate the temp very well. It was either freezing cold or very hot (because the heat would kick on after it had cooled the room down so much). Other than that, we had a great stay, and the breakfast the next morning was yummy. It was really busy, but they kept bringing out more food, so that was nice. I'd definitely recommend this location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!