“Nice hotel in Alexandria” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 20 hotels in Alexandria
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Nice hotel in Alexandria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a very nice and apparently relatively new facility. Our suite was very large, with a comfortable chair and ottoman in the bedroom, which also included a very large TV. The living area was furnished with a sofa and coffee table and a 32 in TV. It also included a wet bar (i.e. a bar sink, refrigerator, microwave, plus cabinet space). All the furniture was high quality and contemporary styled.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Alexandria, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Will never stay here again. Upon arrival, the receptionist was more concerned about getting off shift in an hour than helping me out. She did not tell me any of the information about the hotel or what time breakfast is served, like any hotel employee that has been to hospitality school would do. All of the equipment in the gym is broken except for one treadmill and despite several weeks of business travel, the signs saying the repairman has been called never budged. The rooms are filfthy- the floors are sticky (even the carpet) the rooms are missing things like channel lists, menus/phone numbers for the pizza that is advertized on the desk stand, even when set to full blast, the alarm clock isn't louder than a whisper, the maids are lazy and forgetful- not replacing towels when they remove dirty ones from the room- leaving trash cans sitting in the middle of the room, leaving their cleaning spray on the table. One day when I came back to my "cleaned" room, the sheets had fresh brown spots on them that weren't there when I left that morning. The circuit on the air conditioner was broken when I first entered the room. There were bugs everywhere. Look out the window and there are washclothes covered in brown filfth all over the grass behind the hotel. The pool has more sweat from swimmers than water/cleaning chemicals (One dense hotel guest actually said "ohh this is a salt water pool, my momma has one of those"... yea it wasn't salt water). The A/C unit and fridge in the room were extremely loud, waking me up several times during the night. I was leaving for work one morning as they were setting up breakfast (They should set it up earlier than they do in my opinion) and politely asked if I could take a cup of cereal with me and was rudely yelled at that I had to wait until breakfast was set up... Meanwhile the cereal is sitting right on the counter infront of the lady- not like I was asking for the hot breakfast items. Then when I had to extend my business trip it took three times of talking to rude and in competant employees who promised they'd check and get back to me if a room was available before they finally charged my credit card for the extra nights without telling me/checking if the room they found was acceptable for me since it wasn't the same type of room I had booked. It is insane what kind of hospitality being a polite/patient hotel guest gets you around here- not impressed at all, maybe I need to start yelling and being rude to get treated like a normal human being around here.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear angry g,

Ben J
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

At check-in the desk clerk and a housekeeper where too busy degrading a fellow employee. I was not treated as a platinum member of this hotel group nor on this very hot day was I offered a bottle of water. The next morning I was awakened to the staff yelling to each other down the hallway. And my bill was under the door. I called the front desk. They had realized that I was staying an extra day using points, but would not make me move since it was not my fault. I consider points hard earned not a default. Also what is up with the stained entrance and rank and unkempt flowers. THANK GOD THERE IS NOW A CANDLEWOOD!

Room Tip: Stay next door at the Candlewood!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Theressa C,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your stay and in particular with the benefits you are entitled to as a valued IHG Rewards Club Platinum member. We do always ensure we provide the benefits according to each level of our loyalty scheme. Please accept our sincere apologies for the challenges you experienced with our staff. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests.

We value you as a IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Lera P
Plainview, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Unfortunately my review starts with no sleep. This was a business trip stay over which required 15 hours of drive time (with a prisoner) the next day to get home. The room was on the first floor (ugh) and the noise level from the room above us lasted all night long. Really sounded like they let loose a bunch of monkeys in that room. Our mistake was not calling the front desk then but instead waiting till check out to express our disappointment. Still paid for the room, but left tired and irritated. Now on a lighter note, the hotel itself was really nice and the upkeep was great. The room was of good size and clean. The AC was quite noisy going on and off. The thermostat clicks constantly when the AC is adjusting to the temperature. You really need earplugs to keep this from being annoying. Also the elliptical machine in the fitness room was broken. Very seldom do I write a bad review, but these were things that needed to be said. Overall, would probably give them another chance if ever in the area again.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay on the first floor! I recommend and request the highest floor on all hotels.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Hagensmom70,

Thank you for your feedback. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We are sorry for the noise challenges you experienced during your stay with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Connie D
Lake Charles, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I booked this hotel on Holiday Inn's website when my daughter was going to play in a softball tournament in Alexandria. When you fill in the information to check to see if there are any rooms available for the dates that you selected, there is a dropdown menu at the bottom that says "rate." The default setting is "best rate available." Obviously most people would choose this. When you click "submit" to check for availability, the first rooms that show up are rooms that cannot be cancelled or refunded. Hidden in very fine print someplace that I have not been able to find, the company claims to have this disclaimer. On my confirmation that I printed out, it does not state anything about this policy. Because I unknowingly chose a room that was $6 cheaper than the normal rate, I am out $150 because our softball tournament was canceled. I tried to cancel three days before our arrival date. My family stays in hotels almost every weekend because my daughter plays travel softball. I always book online, and I have never had another hotel do what Holiday Inn Express did. The hotel is making a killing receiving twice as much for a room when they take someone's money who cancelled, and then rent it to someone else. Nowhere on the website does it state this about the policy. My credit card company cannot even find the information that Holiday Inn claims to be there. These hotels are individually owned, operated, and managed so they can pretty much do whatever they want to do. I'm pretty sure that if this wasn't a problem with the hotels, then the problem would not be so widespread. The people at the hotel and at corporate were very rude when I called to inquire about this unfair policy. They obviously know that it is a problem, but they are making so much money by doing it, they refuse to change the website. Google is full of this same complaint!

Room Tip: No cancellation policy so they charge you even if you try to cancel and still do not stay there. Thi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear KRosteet,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I would like to apologize for any confusion surrounding this hotel’s reservation policies. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
Alexandria, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We booked a block of rooms for out of town wedding guests at this Holiday Inn Express. Management was helpful with changes in reservations as guests changed plans at the last minute. Everyone liked the convenient location near I-49, church and reception.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Shreveport, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Stated here when leaving on a 6am flight the next morning. Accidentally booked a smoking room when using the Holiday Inn app. They moved me to the last non-smoking room which was nice. Room seemed dark for some reason. But overall this hotel met expectations and the staff as very nice.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!