“Very poor” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Alexandria

You added Super 8 Alexandria to your Saves list
Super 8 Alexandria
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   700 MacArthur Drive, MacArthur Dr & I-49, Alexandria, LA 71301   |
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Alexandria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Kempner, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Where to begin.....lets see. We check in and the CSR, Mike, I believe was his name, was great. No problems there. We get to our room and there it began. We decided to stay at this hotel because our cousin had told us how fantastic the pool was and our boys wanted to swim. I should have known something was up when we got such a cheap rate. We go into our room and the first thing I noticed was the bathroom floor was damp, a greasy type film covered it. Quick fix, damp towel fixed it up. The rooms were run down and could use a good remodel. The plus side, and the only one that I can really add, is that the patio door in back led straight to the pool.

Now to the fun, the swimming area. As long as you don't mind your little kids getting assaulted while trying to swim, it's a great place. There was a huge family reunion going on and people were all having a great time, then random people come off the street with back packs and change there at the pool area and swim. While my boys were in the shallow area trying to swim and a group of about 10 people, age ranged from middle teens to adults, start rough housing. I don't mean just wrestling and dunking each other, I mean all out ROUGH HOUSING. One man was taking young girls, grabbing them by the neck, picking them up in the air and slamming them into the pool repeatedly. The rest of the group was running and doing cannon balls and back flips into the shallow area. My youngest son was standing by the side and when the man picked up one young girl and slammed her in the water, he missed my sons head by only a few inches. I made my sons move to the deep end thinking they would be safer. NOT! The said adults in the shallow end picked up a plastic buoy from the side and start to toss it back and fourth into the deep end near my kids again. Needless to say I pulled my kids fro the pool and called security. They came and asked them to settle down, which they did for all of 5 minutes until the security man left. We waited a couple of hours until it cleared out a little, just as we started to walk back to the pool a fresh group of pool crashers showed up with back packs and proceeded to intrude on the guests pool time. My husband called the front desk and they sent the security guard with a room list to empty out the people that are not guests in the hotel. With the pool now pretty much empty now, we were able to enjoy a little pool time with the kiddos. After the pool closes its another story. I stepped out on the patio to smoke and there are homeless people sleeping less than 50 feet from where we are sleeping and I realized that patio door is broken and there are holes where the locks are suppose to be. the only thing that secures the door is a chain lock.

Now the man who works the night shift, my sons and myself went to the lobby to get snacks from the vending area and to ask for extra towels. I took the wet towels that we used at the pool and put them in a laundry bag to exchange them for dry towels. I was told that he could not exchange them, I was given 1 towel and told that housekeeping was the only ones that could exchange towels......I call [--]. He told me I could just hang the wet towels on the shower and let them dry and use them in the morning. Now, I have worked in the hotel industry for over 15 years, I know for a fact that when a guest brings wet towels up they can be exchanged. I understand that some guests will abuse the towels and keep all of them, but when a guest brings towels up they will be exchanged. Next, the man then decided to go into the lobby and sit down and get on the computer. I put a dollar in the machine and the skittles bag got stuck and was hanging there. He did nothing to help. I bumped it, my son bumped it over and over. For a good 5 minutes we beat on this machine with the CSR sitting less than 5 feet from us. I finally had to ask him to help. He walked up and said, word for word, "Get out of the way." He then proceeded to tilt the machine, which worked and I appreciate it, but really, do you have to finish updating your Facebook status before helping someone? Yes, I could see what you were doing on the computer. Check out was okay and like I said, you get what you pay for. The fantastic pool is great, but not worth taking the chance of my kiddos getting hurt. Management should really buckle down and evaluate what is going on in his hotel. This place has great potential and I would love to say that if I come stay again there has been a big improvement with security and guest services.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
s8macarthur, General Manager at Super 8 Alexandria, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
I'm sorry you had bad time at pool. We do our best to keep people out that does not belong but they do slip in sometimes.I'm also sorry my desk clerk was rude. I have had a talk with him. WE will take all your comments and use them to improve. Hope to see you again
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Checkin was quick and easy. Staff polite and helpful. Rooms are big and beds are comfortable. Rooms and grounds just need a little tlc because it looks old. And small details could use a little fine tuning. But overall, this is one of the 3 cheapest hotels in the area, so it was really nice for the price definitely. Free breakfast was very limited, but hey, its free and some of the higher priced places in the. area don't even offer breakfast. So we were pleased. Finally, the pool exceeded our expectations by far. It was huge and crystal clear, very clean. Its old but very clean. We stayed at Super 8 in Biloxi a couple weeks ago, and this pool was double the size and much cleaner. So we would definitely come back.

• Stayed June 2013
s8macarthur, General Manager at Super 8 Alexandria, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thanks for nice comments. We hope to see you soon
Hammond, LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Had to be in Alexandria early one morning, looked for a super cheap place just to sleep at and decided this one. Location is easy to find and one of the better features. Felt like a safe location. There was a bar/lounge kind of attached, but I didn't notice any noise or issues with it.

Pro's:
-Super cold A/C (very important to me!!)
-Decent tv with channels
-Bed was fine
-That about sums it up

Con's:
-Had no shampoo or soap in bathroom upon arrival
-The knob in the bathroom to turn the lights on was missing, no bathroom lights was interesting. Had I noticed before I went out drinking I would have said something. But when I strolled in around 10:15, didn't even bother
-Wall had scuff marks all over it, black marks?
-Whole room felt old and worn out
-A/C was set to 80 when I got into room, muggy as all hell
-Obv no bathroom lights was strange, but I made it work

They did have a free breakfast, but I didn't eat anything, just got some coffee. To sum it up, it basically is what it is. If you need a place just for a night or two (I couldn't last more than 1 night personally) then this place is no problem. If you HAVE to have the top of the line amenities, then I'd probably look elsewhere.

I doubt I'll stay here again, but for the $43 I paid for a night, really wasn't that bad of a deal. Like anywhere else in the world, you get what you pay for. I didn't go in expecting much, wasn't let down.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We do appreciate your comments and thank you for taking the time, we are older property but a good one. Hope to see you again soon
Gonzales, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We checked in and checked out in about 5 minutes. I called and reserved the room for 3 adults and 1 baby age 5 months, for a non smoking room, handicap. When I spoke to the lady on the phone she was very friendly and i thought she understood what I needed. I had told her that my husband and I had stay there several times prior to his death in 2009 and enjoyed our stays. Upon our arrival my daughter went inside to check us in, she was told that the room was reserved for only 1 person and if he wanted to he could refuse our reservation. I don't know what happened with the reserveration mistake. The room was at the back of the motel away from the parking area. The only enterance was to walk though a slanted, drainage area to get to the rear entrance, diffently not an area for a handicap person with back and knee problems and having to use a cane. A very friendly security guard came up to us, I told him about the problems we ere experiencing. My daughter was ahead of me, when she got to the door of what was to be our room, she found a do not disturb sign on the door. She walked back to the security guard and I, to tell us about the sign. The security guard went to the door knocked, then entered the door, then said that housecleaning must have forgotten to remove the sign. We went into the room, my granddaughter pulled the comforter back to lay the baby down to change him. On the white underneath side was a glob of long dark human hair. The pillows (?) were worn out. When I sat down of the second bed (?) to rest from my walk, I discovered the bed (?) was in the same shape as the pillows (?). The room had and unclean odor, and stale cigarette odor, even though I was told it was a non smoking building. I told my daughter and granddaughter to give me a few minutes to rest and then I would walk down the hallway seperating the rooms, up to the office and check us out. I did not realize I could not reach the office without going outside and around to the office. I met the security guard again and he asked if he could help me. I told him I was on my way to check out. Needless to say, by the time I got there I was hurting pretty bad, then I had to stand there while the only attendant finished taking a phone reservation. I asked to speak to the manager and was told the name on the broad was the daytime manager and there wasn't a manager there. My daughter came in the door about that time to make sure that I was able to get to the office and wasn't having a problem. She told me she and her daughter just about had everything back in the van and she would bring it to the front, for me not to try to go back to the room. The clerk had told me that was the only room available, so he issued me a refund and we went to another motel. I was very sadden and disappointed to see the condition of the motel. Needless to say I will not be staying there on my future visits to my family and I will not advise anyone to stay at this Super 8 motel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
s8macarthur, Manager at Super 8 Alexandria, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
I am so sorry you had a problem.I have addressed all the issues that you talked about. What can I do to make it better for you. I appreciate your comments and concerns, we take them very seriously. if I can be of more assistance please feel free to call me.

Been to Super 8 Alexandria? Share your experiences!