“Pricey with nice ambience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Posta

La Posta
Calle Uruguay, Entre Calle 47 y Calle 48 | A Un Lado de Hotel Waldorf Astoria, Panama City Bella Vista, Panama
+507 269-1076
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #33 of 582 Restaurants in Panama City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Pricey with nice ambience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I went to this restaurant based on the nice TA reviews. It was an easy walk from the Hotel Intercontinental. Ambience was quite nice, and it has a fair wine selection. Be advised, the menu is in Spanish, so brush up on your fish and meat vocabulary before you go! I, unlike other reviewers, had no complaints about the service. Our waiter was not the most friendly, but sufficiently attentive. FYI I did dine early in the "dinner time frame" (7pm.) Our food, however, was not up to par. We did enjoy the bread basket. I had the vodka pasta with salmon. It was so salty as to be inedible. I was able to eat the peas in the sauce, but I left nearly all the noodles, and the salmon was very fishy and over salty as well. The side dish of the creamed spinach is the only thing that saved my meal, and it was quite good. The frutti di mare pasta cleverly came in a paper pouch. That cooking method should keep the fish from getting overdone, but the calamari was somehow a bit too rubbery for my taste. The flavor/seasoning was nice on the di mare. La Posta is one one of the more expensive restaurants for what we got. For price, ambience, and food quality, I prefer Rino's and Tre Scalini.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Clear disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

It has been some time that we have wanted to try this restaurant, the owner of The Market is also owner of La Posta. Our friends tell us it is great, and trip advisor and Frommers had mixed reviews.
Last night, we finally went.... how disappointing.
The location is great, just off Calle Uruguay, and there is plenty of parking in a lot just next to the restaurant.
A renovated house with nice decorations, quite a bit more intimate than The Market.
We arrived early for our reservation as many reviewers suggested an early arrival to have an apero at the bar.... The waiter did not even consider asking us, just showed us to a table (set for 4 although we had reservations for 2) and proceeded to take the other two table settings away. Not a very good way to start when you have made a reservation.
I must say, the best is the selection of wines. (we never did receive a drink menu even though people suggest their mojito's). We had a wonderful Pinot Grigio from Sicily....
Now for the food experience.
My husband wanted to order a nice light and refreshing yellow finned tuna carpacio, but the waiter immediately suggested the seafood mix. It turned out to be a very heavy and fried mix of seafood on a very heavy and fried plantan.... something we have had in much smaller quantities on beach restaurants.
I ordered the octopus served 3 ways.. the carpacio was wonderful, but the rest so so.
For the meal, my husband ordered the salmon medium rare,
I ordered the special fish.
My husband had to send the salmon back twice. The first time it was completely over cooked, the second time raw... the third time medium. It was served with something that he could not eat. We still do not know what it was.
My fish was good, grilled very nicely, but the accompanying dish was not suitable for the fish.
Interesting to note, there was a couple sitting next to us. The husband ordered some meat dish, and he could not saw through it and had to send it back. The second time, he barely could cut through it, but pulled the meat off the bones with the help of a knife and his hands and ate the meat off the bones with his hands.... fork would not help!
The food was expensive (dishes more expensive than Maito's) and was just not a very good quality.
One other thing to note, we have children and we take them out to restaurants, even when they were young and they were very well behaved. On a saturday night, a couple with young children, very noisy and running around the restaurant was not well taken. When we left, we had to walk around them playing on the stairs to leave the restaurant.
I cannot recommend this to others, but I do recommend The Market. Although it is noisy, the quality of food is there and the prices are much more reasonable. A mix of The Market Chef and the wine list from La Posta would be a good combination.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Timbuktu, Mali
“very nice experiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

we had the three way octopus as an entry and steak for main course. both delicious. service is for panamanian standards also very good. nice colonial style ambiance.

Visited October 2013
London
“Pleasant enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

On entering the restaurant it was full, so we knew we could be waiting a while. The main wAiter said 15 mins for a table please get a drink at the bar. We were not acknowledged for nearly 10 mins by the one token barman who in fairness was run ragged poor chap., the main wAiter saw this and just carried on swanning around the place doing nothing. We eventually got a drink, and then went to our table. It was a bit of a struggle as our Spanish isn't great. Luckily another waiter stepped in to help and translate, which was a first in Panama. We had the asparagus with parmesan, balsamic and egg, it was nice enough and the yellow fin tuna carpaccio, after just visiting Japan it was pretty tasteless and non descript. For mains we had the pork chop with red cabbage and apple, my husband liked it a lot, and I had the seafood pasta, it came in a paper parcel, and was tasty enough, but maybe a little less time in the oven and it wouldn't have Been as dry. Overall not bad at all, I wasn't blown awAy, prices were pretty good, wine was nice, and the atmosphere wAs bustling. The same few wAiters were doing the work whilst others stood and watched. The paper questionnaire at the end is old hat and needs to go. If you want to know what people think, read tripadvisor.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, United States
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We ate there twice during our 2 week stay in Panama. It was within walking distance of our hotel. My husband has a gluten allergy and they were very accommodating. We ended up with the same waiter "Frank" both times. He remembered us and our "allergy". We had wonderful meals and great service. Will definitely be on our agenda on return trips to the area. Reservation is highly recommended. They get very busy after 7:30 pm. Only suggestion would be that I wish the menu had a little more English on it. But most items had an English translation under it. But it is a Spanish speaking country ;)

• Visited August 2013