“Clean and friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Milan

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Panama City
Hotel Milan
You added Hotel Milan to your Saves list
Calle Eusebio A. Morales, 31, Panama City, Panama   |
Ranked #46 of 111 Hotels in Panama City
Montevideo, Uruguay
“Clean and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

For our first night, we stayed in one of the basic rooms, and it didn't work for us at all. Although the price was very cheap ($65 in cash), and the room was very clean, the bed was only a full size bed, there was no refrigerator, the bathroom was very small, and the floors are all tile, plus there are no extra blankets or pillows or even extra towels. So, in other words, if you're a single person and you don't need a refrigerator, the cheapest room may be fine. For me, my husband, and our 13 month daughter...it didn't work too well. Usually while traveling I make a "bed" for her on the (carpeted) floor with blankets and a couple pillows to keep her from rolling into things; that was totally impractical since the floors were so hard and there were no blankets or pillows. So, instead, all three of us--sweaty from moving around the airport/city with our luggage--shared the little bed.

The next day we arranged to switch to a suite ($90ish cash) for our other couple nights that we had planned to stay in Panama City. That worked a lot better for us. There was still a hard floor (turns out everywhere in Panama has hard floors because of all the rain), BUT the suite had a small couch that I was able to barricade with our luggage to make a bed for our daughter. It also had a king size bed, a little fridge, and a very large (not-jetted) jacuzzi tub. The view was not amazing, but not bad either; we could see some of the city from our room.

We were depending on the wifi internet for my husband's work. There is wifi internet, and even different routers for different floors...but it is not the best. It seems to work really intermittently. If you wanted to do something that required a better connection, like watching videos online, that would probably not work. It did (usually) work fine for our searches about directions or places we were going, as long as we had time to wait. We did not try using the computers downstairs, so I don't know if those are faster.

The people who worked at the front desk were very patient with our limited Spanish. They were friendly and helpful. The ladies that cleaned our room were also friendly. I talked to them one day about finding some fresh milk and we had a great conversation about goats in the Panama City region and the prevalence of goat milk in the area, etc.

We ate breakfast down at the restaurant a couple times. Honestly, I didn't think the food was amazing, but it was ok, and it was fairly inexpensive. The ladies who worked there were also friendly and patient with our limited Spanish. I had to check with them on how they prepared different items because of an allergy, and they were very helpful and cooperative about that. One thing that we all really liked was the fresh juice--especially the mixed fruit kind. That was very good (and has no sugar added, unlike most juice here).

The location is excellent. Lots of stuff nearby, and it feels really safe walking around the "el congrejo" district. We took taxis while staying at Hotel Milan: $33 from the airport to Hotel Milan, $15 to and from the Panama Canal, $2.50 to $5 to and from various places in the Panama City area (and the one time it was $5 was during a lot of traffic so we spent at least 20 mins in the taxi).

Overall, I don't know if we would stay there again. We chose it because at $65 it seemed like a really great deal...but at $90, I don't know if it was actually better than other places for that price range, and the problems with the Internet were a big deal for us since my husband was needing to work while we were there. But, if you just need one full-size bed, and you don't care about a fridge or having great Internet access, then yes, it is a great place. It is very clean and the AC works well.

Room Tip: The basic rooms have a full size bed and not much else--no fridge or tub. The suites have a king si...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Penonome, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Have put off trying this Hotel due to reading some negative reviews a few years ago. Definitely my loss. Location is perfect, close to supermarket, casinos, souvenir shops, restaurants, much other shopping, and the bus. Half the hotel is new and half is remodeled. This is an upscale, low end hotel. I stayed 2 different times on this trip for a total of 13 nights, once in the old part and once in the new. There is no difference, they both appear new. The rooms are large and clean with a good, comfortable bed and good air conditioning. The bathrooms are large and have real hot water and good water pressure, both of which are rare in low end Panama hotels. Along with the usual toiletries, they even include a shower cap. There is an ice bin, which is kept full, in the middle of every floor. There are 2 elevators. Every member of the staff that I interacted with was wonderful although none spoke much English and I don't speak much Spanish. The Milan has two levels of excellent indoor parking which they allowed my friends to use since I did not have a car. There are 2 internet connected computers available, in the very large lobby, at no extra charge. Never had a problem of any kind. The photos are of my first room, the second room actually had a dining table and chairs. Room comes with a large bottle of water which they replace if you use it. My only negative is that the restaurant is closed on Sundays which makes no sense to me. However, the El Parador hotel down the block does serve breakfast and the Toscana hotel around the corner has a daily breakfast buffet which is great. The posted room price is $70. With my Pensionado Card, I paid $38 for a weekday night and $49 on the weekend, which includes the 10% hotel tax. This is now my hotel for Panama City.

Room Tip: I honestly don't think there are any bad rooms. I was on the street side but it was quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Great hotel if you don't need all of the amenities. Centrally located, friendly staff, and very clean rooms!!! Lots of restaurants, a casino, and shopping within a few blocks! The restaurant for breakfast is great as well!

Room Tip: The suite has a king bed and a jacuzzi tub for a reasonable rate!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I cannot recommend Hotel Milan enough. Right in the heart of Panama city and El Cangrejo, this hotel offers fantastic value for money. My room was large, clean and comfortable. The bed was enormous and each room has a large modern flat screen TV along with complimentry water and toiletries each day. There are numerous bars and restaraunts near by and good shopping during the day. My only reservation was that I had to leave my room key at reception every time I left the hotel and then collect it again upon entering. This became a chore as my Spanish is poor and the receptionist was different almost every time I went to collect the key.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Copan Ruinas, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Great location in a very nice neighborhood. Clean, functional rooms, some w/ nice views of nearby skyscrapers. Exc value/price at $63 cash dbl per night. Nice lobby w/ comfy couches, all the daily papers and computer terminals. The restaurant is simple, food is nothing special. Hotel stores luggage which is a nice help. As in most of Panama, front desk/reception staff offer a minimal/basic level of service - no more and no less. The doormen at the hotel are more service oriented, helping with bags, calling for taxis, etc. Front desk staff for the most part aren't interested in providing much in the way of customer service. All in all a great hotel ... and it ticks off all the B's ... Bueno, Bonito y Barato!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Panama City, Panama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stay at this hotel a lot; retired so get the Panama Jubilado discount (50% weekdays && 30% weekends). It is perfect for a quick in and out and mild on wallet!. Can not find a cleaner and safer hotel in Panama (or most places ... but do not look for elegant ... spartan and practical.

The restaurant serves a nice hot breakfast for less than $5. Hot water, hard bed, limited lighting are the only reasons for less than 4 stars. Ask for the new wing ... rooms bigger and better equipped.

Room Tip: No fitness or pool
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We selected this hotel because we had to send staff members from various levels of the organization and our mid-levels stayed here. A good value for the $$. Good internet, clean showers and comfortable bedding. The hotel met our needs and was under $70.00 per night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Milan? Share your experiences!