I did a lot of careful research to decide where to stay for my visit to Panama City. I chose the Balboa Inn because I wanted to be in close proximity to everything the city had to offer but in a quiet neighborhood where I could see some wildlife. The Balboa Inn was perfect.
• Thorwald was a wonderful host.
• The Inn was clean and comfortable.
• Breakfast was good and plentiful and is included in the price of the room: eggs, cereal, ham, yogurt, juice, coffee, toast, peanut butter, etc.
• The Balboa Inn is just a few blocks (maybe 4) from a major roadway so catching a cab is easy or the staff will call a cab for you.
• It’s a quiet, pretty neighborhood in which to relax after navigating the crazy, energetic city.
• The staff can help you book excursions.
• It was like staying in someone’s home. One night it was pouring rain and Thorwald and I ordered pizza for delivery and chatted over dinner. It was good pizza too!
For me these were not disadvantages, but be aware…
• There are only a few choices to eat near the Inn. There is a nice restaurant that I didn’t try, a food stand near the mini mart, which had great grilled chicken and Niko’s Café. Niko’s is a cafeteria with super cheap eats and a great bakery.
• Hiking to the top of Cerro Ancon and a little artists market is about the only activities within walking distance. You’ll have to take a cab everywhere else. However, I doubt there is any place you could stay that would be within walking distance to everything you want to do. The city is sprawling. Cabs are fairly cheap. Although, I think they’re cheaper for locals than for tourists! Oh, well, what’s a buck or two?
• The Balboa Inn is a bed and breakfast, so don’t expect the Waldorf Astoria or a Trump property. No chocolate on the pillow, no turn-down service, no room service. It’s not uptight or stuffy or gilded. It’s a good, clean, sweet little inn run by super nice people.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Balboa Inn is a small Bed & Breakfast at the foot of Panama's main landmark, Ancon Hill (Cerro Ancón) in Balboa. Conveniently located between the downtown area, Amador Causeway and just minutes away from the domestic Albrook Airport, Casco Viejo, and the Panama Canal you are away from the city noise yet have access to all its services. The Balboa Inn: a great location, personal service, a real breakfast. Simply good value. Why settle for less? ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Balboa Hotel Panama City
- The Balboa Inn Panama/Panama City