“Good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #82 of 107 Hotels in Panama City
Calgary, Canada
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Definitely worth the price! My friend and I each paid $20/night to stay in a room with 2 double beds, good view, very clean, good wifi connection. We stayed 2 nights and got a free airport pickup. Nice TV and AC in the room. There was a fridge but it was broken. The breakfast was lame, but I didn't expect much anyway. The staff was moderately helpful and the location was ok. I would highly recommend to anyone on a budget.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Rooms are clean with AC and a fridge. There is secure parking on site. Continental Breakfast is included in the rates and comes with some really good Cafe Americanos

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Margarita Island, Venezuela
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I spent 3 nights at $36 and was pleased with the service. I had been approached at the bus terminal and was given a free ride to the hotel. Breakfast was included, rolls, jam and fresh pineapple juice and coffee. Computer was $1 per hour and it saved any extra time for a return visit. It is clean and quiet, located near hospitals and medical and dental facilities. A fridge was in the room but I had to request a bedside lamp that was promptly brought. AC and Cable TV, several channels in English. I booked a fantastic tour on a trolley-like air-conditioned bus. The guide spoke English and Spanish. For $30 we spent 4 hours out at the Canal. the fish market, the duty-free shops at the causeway, and the old town, very reminiscent of Cartegena, Colombia, and to the vendors plaza where hats, molas and baskets made by the Kuna Indians could be bought. One is not allowed guests in your room. Hot and cold water in the bathroom. I would recommend this hotel and staff to anyone on a budget. For $10 I was delivered to the airport when I left.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Marbleton, Quebec
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

The best reason to stay in this hotel is the location. But for the rest, not so good at all! To start with, we asked to see the room beforehand, our request was met with some rudeness and we had just a few seconds to inspect it! Breakfeast was poor with very dry bread and tastless coffee. We had a problem with the A/C unit, so they had to change us to another room; the annoying point about this is that the technician who came to the room told us that the A/C unit was not in order to function for some weeks before we occupied the room! Personnel was not friendly, no smiling faces here...The rooms were very basic but clean enough.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ajijic, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

I spent 2 nights here. My room cost $36/night for a single. My room was quiet, on the 4th floor, and was air conditioned, with a decent bathroom. I'm not too crazy about the neighborhood. Seems like no one picks up the trash anymore in Panama City?!
The breakfast that is included with the room consists of 2 yucky while rolls, some watered down OJ, and a cup of coffee. You can find fruit salad around the corner for $1.25 which is what I ended up doing. I had to catch a cab at 1:00 am to get the airport, and a staff member walked me down 2 blocks to get me a good cab. The front desk personnel are friendly and helpful. There are 2 computers that you insert dollar bills to get one hour of online time. The hostel I was going to stay in charges about the same for a single room without a bath...so I do believe the value is worthwhile. It's my 2nd trip to Panama City, and frankly, I hope it's the last. Not my favorite place on the planet!

Room Tip: Rooms that don't face the street are quieter. Panamanian drivers use a lot of horn.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Sheets weren't changed on bed, as evidenced by hairs between sheets. AC didn't work in some rooms, staff was very curt and not helpful. Information re: shuttles was not reliable. Very poor place to stay; I would not recommend it unless you're desperate.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Damp, smelly, dirty, noisy rooms with leaking showers and hairs in the bed. If that sounds like your cup of tea, you'll be right at home here, if not, avoid this hotel and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Marparaiso? Share your experiences!