“Classical Elegance with Great Service” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #105 of 558 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: Central American
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Savor the essence of authentic Panama at Salsipuedes Restaurant, the marvelous new restaurant located within Bristol Panama hotel. Under the direction of renowned Executive Chef Cuquita Arias de Calvo, Salsipuedes offers a rich showcase of gourmet Panamanian cuisine.The restaurant’s name honors Panama City’s legendary - and sometimes notorious -Salsipuedes Street, which has been a city landmark since 1671. Today, up and down the street, you can find Chinese and Panamanian merchants offering handmade crafts, Panamanian clothing, montunos, hats, books, magazines, school supplies, articles, Jewelry, vegetables, fruits, dishes, pots, pans, medicinal plants, teapots, among other items.In this regard, Salsipuedes Street and Salsipuedes Panama City Restaurant share several traits. Each celebrates the spirit of the Panamanian culture and is as cheerful and spicy as the people themselves.
“Classical Elegance with Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

The Bristol is one of those classical hotels and restaurants, high class is the only way to describe it... the food is very good, and the service is great.

Kunkletown, Pennsylvania
“Chef's off night or Chef's night off?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

I made reservations for my husband, a friend and myself at Las Barandas, the restaurant inside the Bristol Hotel, thinking we would be in for a real treat with the kind of publicity received by Cuquita.

I thought the Bristol a charming colonial style hotel in keeping with a number I've seen during my travels. We were escorted to a very cozy bar area to wait for our reservation time. The waiters were attentive and the drinks were very good. We entered the restaurant relaxed and excited. The first bit of less than stellar performance came when we were brought the bread and three bread plates where two had pats of butter but one had none. It took three tries to get butter for that plate.

My husband ordered the Crocodille and while it was a novelty to say we ate some it was not a successful dish. The sauce was a rather jarring sweet like sweet and sour Chinese pork and, we thought, the crocodille a bit over cooked (this was to be a reoccuring theme of the night). I ordered the Fried Cerviche which came in a very nice sauce with a bit of heat but, once again, I thought the fish over cooked. Our friend ordered the Caesar Salad and found it bland with no anchovies and no ground pepper offered. (I spotted the pepper mill at the end of the meal tucked away behind some large leafed plants). My husband next ordered the Cream of Plantain Soup. A bowl was delivered with a mound of over cooked seafood which was then covered with the soup. The soup was quite tasty but very rich and a little went a long way. Also you could not get a spoonful of soup without getting a lot of hard seafood bits too. I ordered a salad which came with a corn pudding like addition which I felt didn't go with the salad greens.

My husband ordered Rice Pot for his main course. The rice was nicely seasoned but the seafood that was mixed in was, once again, overcooked. You could not eat the rice without getting some of the seafood so it just wasn't pleasant to eat. I ordered the New York Strip and it was sinewy, tough and had a mouth feel of mealiness as if tenderizer had been used. The potato tart which came with that was good. My friend ordered the Tuna and asked that it be cooked well done. Because the tuna entre comes with nothing but tuna and a fanciful construction that includes a radish, she also ordered Jasmine Rice. The tuna arrived rare and had to be sent back to be cooked a bit more and the Jasmine Rice never showed up till the bill came and we saw it entered there as a charge. I had to flag down the manager as the waiter laid down the bill and disappeared. The manager did an investigation to determine that we had, in fact, NOT gotten the rice and then the bill was changed.

Over riding all of this was slow, poor service and a hostess who, even when apprised of something like more water please, would go find a waiter rather than just grab a pitcher and fill our glasses. That added to the tedium of our wait for a number of things; butter for one plate, tuna cooked to specifications and a correction of the bill.

I don't know if Cuquita was there but busy with something other than supervising the meals coming out of her kitchen or if she was just off for the night and without her there nothing runs well. Whatever the problem we will not return and do not recommend the restaurant. Too much hype for too little delivery.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Mexico City, Mexico
“Outstanding food, however it was empty when I visited”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

We found the restaurant as maybe one of the nicest we visited in Panama. Great food, very nice and elegant decor, service was OK.

Highly recommended for a beautiful and romantic dinner.

• Visited March 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Canada
“Fantastic service, great wine list, but not as fine dining as I would have liked or expected.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

Great wine list, great service, and the setting is lovely. My only issue would be the little details that I expect from fine dining restaurants. My tuna tartare was excellent - very flavourful, and the bread that came with was excellent. The fish I ordered, which was recommended, was under-seasoned, and I had also asked for the truffle french fries (I love white truffle), which they did not bring me until later after asking if I still wanted them - I suspected they had forgotten - and even then, the presence of truffle on what seemed to be frozen fries was fleeting. I ordered creme brulee at the end to get a sense of the dessert menu and was disappointed with this too - it was without the texture that I usually expect, rather, is was a creamy custard with sugar on top. In any case, the food was fine, but not what I usually expect from high end, fine dining restaurants. I should add that the service was excellent, and the prices for a high-end place were very reasonable.

• Visited February 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Canada
“Fantastic service and setting - but not as fine dining as I would expect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011