“Definitely not a business hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of TRYP Panama Centro

You added TRYP Panama Centro to your Saves list
TRYP Panama Centro
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Veneto | El Cangrejo Bellavista, Panama City 00000, Panama   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 111 Hotels in Panama City
Zurich, Switzerland
“Definitely not a business hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel opened only recently. Breakfast buffet is rather poor. The room was clean, modern and quiet. Hotel staff was friendly, but not very efficient. If check-in did take quite some time, check-out was a pain as it needed too much time and was not organized.

Conference rooms are available. The fee is rather high though. We could not use it on time as the room needed to be cleaned first (and still would have needed some more cleaning). Rooms were poorly equipped with a table and some old chairs that didn't actually belong there. A printer was not available.

The hotel is not in the financial district. For business trips, there are definitely many other hotels in Panama City that are closer to the financial district and that provide an appropriate business area.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Jose C, General Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our entire staff I would like to apologize for the experience you had during your visit to our property. I will talk with front office manager to review the Check in and Check out process in order that everything gets line up with our Wyndham standards and services. It is not normal that the check in or check take more than 5, but sometimes we try to answer all our guest question and it takes that other guest wait in line for the check out. We will do our best to correct any deficiency in this area to speed up the process so our guest can have a better experience.

Our hotel is located in the heart of Panama walking distance to major banks, the 50th Street and Panama stock market in Uruguay street (Less than a Kilometer). Many guests consider our hotel a great location for business or pleasure all depends were the business is or what type of activity is planned, but we do our best to give as much information about our location in order that every guest can select our services and property for their main purpose.

Hope you can serve one more time if the travel bring back to Panama again..

Warmest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My overall impression of this hotel is a very good one. The place is obviously very new and is kept very clean and tidy. Unlike other reviewers here (and no, I don't feel the need to name drop - of what relevance is the name of staff members?!), those on reception were friendly and very helpful. That said, one did inform me that it was impossible to get to Miraflores Locks by bus. Arduous, yes, but not impossible - just head to Albrook Mall and you'll find a bus that heads there no problem.

The food in the hotel is good, if not spectacular. However, you get what you pay for. I enjoyed the complimentary breakfast even if the "English Breakfast" tea by Bigelow was a disgrace. After three minutes brewing, a good tea should be dark, not paler than Robert Pattinson's face. However, I've grown accustomed to poor tea outside of our green and pleasant land so it's not that much of a big deal. I do recommend having lunch in the hotel - you can get a decent three course meal for two for less than $20.

The roof-top pool and gym is probably the highlight of this hotel - the view is simply spectacular both in the day and at dusk. For once, I found working out a pleasure rather than a necessary chore - even if a bilingual Peter Perfect was in there making me look like a chump.

One tip - stay clear of the Veneto down the road. That is, of course, unless you like having a drink/gamble in a place chock-FULL of hookers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high up as possible to make the most of the view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your visit and comments about your experience at the hotel. We are glad that you overall stay was pleasant but that also are some areas that need improve in service like giving directions on how to get the farther areas in Panama like Albrook, it is no easy and I think that our Front Desk agent didn't want you to have a bad experience with the public bus services in Panama. Either way they should provide you with the info in order that you can decide if take it or not.

Please don't hesitate to contact us anytime if the travel bring you back again and let us try to exceed your expectations.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

When headed to Panama for two weeks we booked this hotel for the first three nights without an agenda for the rest of the trip. The hotel was great! The rooms were good size and very clean with great air conditioning. When we left for a couple days to Bocas they held our luggage and we ended up using this hotel as our home base to come back to on the many trips we made throughout the country. The price can't be beat for a hotel of this quality in my opinion (as long as you're paying less than $100 which seems to be easy to find). The rooftop pool is great! The jacuzzi wasnt warm but do you need it to be when its 90+ degrees out? There usually isn't anyone working that bar in the afternoons but if you call down to room service they bring drinks up quickly. There are a lot of good bars and restaurants in close proximity and casinos too. Sure there were some service inconveniences such as our keys not working on 3 separate occasions and our room not being cleaned one day but we found service throughout Panama to be a little bit that way, which we were fine with.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose C, Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our entire staff I would like to thank you for your visit at our Tryp by Wyndham Panama Hotel. We are glad that you had a great stay at our property and that you felt like home which is for what we work hard for our guest every day.

There are some areas like the rooftop that we are paying attention in order to improve our everyday services at the pool. We are now serving Food and Drinks from 2:30pm to 9pm in order that can we provide service during the afternoon for all our guest...

We hope that you can visit us one more time if the travel bring you back to Panama and let us exceed your expectations one more time..

Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed in two rooms in your TRYP hotel in the center of that City.

The location is very good, but we had problems from the start. We had confirmed several times adjoining rooms, yet they had our two rooms in separate floors. We insisted on at least the same floor since we were traveling with our two kids and my elderly mother-in-law, miraculously two rooms on the same floor were found. The rooms are comfortable.

But a very NEGATIVE and unbelievable thing happened at check out. They had two miscellaneous charges on the room that not even the front desk clerk knew why they were there. He called the person in charge of the maid service and she explained that the $32 plus tax was basically for two dirty bathroom rugs! Yes those little rug/towels you put on the floor! Imagine that, in a country that rains all the time where you come to see a rainforest and a canal (which means you will encounter mud and other stuff) they expect to keep the bathroom ‘rugs’ clean! I asked why this was not brought to my attention when it happened since according to the bill it had happened two days prior and there was no response. I asked how am I suppose to know that these were my ‘rugs’ and they brought me two dirty rugs and told me they were from my room!

I asked to speak to the manager since I did not agree with the charge and I was told that there was no manager on duty that he was traveling! Eventually the person “in charge” showed up at the front desk and in a very intimidating and in your face manner basically told me that I can either pay it or he could call the POLICE! Since he did not want to give me his name, I asked the front desk clerk and he told me the guy’s name is ‘Ricardo’. We did not want to miss our flight so we paid it.

My family travels often in and outside of the US and we have NEVER been treated like this.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jose C, Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our staff please apologize for the inconvenient you had during your check out at the hotel, unfortunately I was not in Panama at the moment this happened. After doing a research with our housekeeper manager, the towels were stained with some king of shoe polish and we had to declared this towels unusable for the operation. Hotel will not charge any amount to our guest only if the towels are use in a proper manner, when a towel is use for other propose then we will need to check if we can restore it for use, if not then we need to advise our guest that a small charge my be apply.

I already spoke with the manager and I want to apologize on behalf of Ricardo who spoke with you during this situation.

Please don't hesitate to contact us in order to make it right for you.

Regards
Framingham, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is a new hotel that opened in 2012. It's in the financial district with quite a few good restaurants and bar nearby. It was convenient to go out at night for dinner (Machu Piccu was nearby). Additionally, a grocer store is just around the corner, where we got big bottle of water to stay hydrated. The room was clean, spacious, modern and quite. I particularly like the large size on the vanity counter top. Water pressure is very good. There is also a retractable clothes line installed in the shower for hanging small pieces of garment, e.g. swimming suit that I found quite useful. Although the hotel has Jacuzzi, swimming pool, steam room and sauna, for some reason, they are not operating (particular the Jacuzzi) during the posted open hours. These facilities are on the roof top with a bar and sit area, I found the waiting stuff here is scarce and hard to get help. The other issue we ran into was that the toilet tank didn't refill water after flush. But right after we reported the issue, a plumber came and fixed it right away. The staff are friendly but not all of them speak good English, and the check-in is extremely slow (took us about 30 min to complete). The hotel restaurant offers good breakfast for $9, but if you eat light breakfast, there is a small restaurant almost next door that offers GREAT coffee and other breakfast items.

There are a couple of things that confused me in this hotel:
1. During the check in, I was charged $250 as deposit, and then refunded to me immediately after I questioned it, and after the staff found out i already pre-paid my stay via Expedia. Then a $75 was charged as the deposit of which will be refunded to me during checkout. I seldom ran into this situations and I traveled quite a bit internationally. Due to the language barrier, I didn't argue but made a note to ensure the refund took place during check out and it did.
2. One bottle of water was provided to the room and I found that's a bit odd as we have two travelers. But this is a small thing that doesn't bother me much.

There is also a safe, a tiny (one cup) coffee maker, and a hair dryer available in the room. I rate the room as 5 but services and facilities as 4 due to the slow check-in and Jacuzzi I mentioned earlier. One last thing, my last day in Panama city, it was a Sat and the Post Office is closed so I could not get a stamp for my postcards. Even though the front desk mentioned they normally will not mail the postcard without a stamp, the staff mentioned he could try after I provided fee of the postage. I will see if I get the postcard in the mail, then I will come back to upgrade the service rating for 5. For now, I am keeping it as 3 due to the slow check in and confused deposit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Jose C, General Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our staff I would like to thank you for your stay with us at the Tryp by Wyndham Panama and let us know that we do our best for you.

Regarding the issues with the Rooftop bar we are taking the steps to improve our services and make of this area one of the most enjoyable in our hotel for our guests.

Also please apologize us for the situation with the check in since there a new personal that need some tune up regarding some process but I will make sure that this get corrected..

And last, I will do my best that your mail will arrive as promise...Please don't hesitate to contact me if this don't get to destination..

Beaver Creek, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The actual facilities were great with an overall modern, clean look and feel. The rooms were overly spacious, the beds were really comfortable, and the A/C cranked. The rooftop pool/hot tub were awesome, but the rooftop bar was never staffed over the 3 days we were there. We had to call down for beers and about 20-30 minutes later, someone would finally come up with them. I'm not picky about housekeeping and since I carry a lot of electronics with me, I left the "do not disturb" sign on the door only to continue coming back to find the room cleaned. Although relatively helpful, each time I approached the front desk for anything, I got the impression I was a nuisance and inconvenience - even when checking in. The location is good, but it's a $20+ taxi ride to any of the main "sights" around Panama City.

Again, overall the stay was good, but I think a few small changes could make it great. However, with what I experienced, I think it's highly overpriced and would look somewhere cheaper next time. I didn't see the value for what I paid.

Room Tip: The views are pretty spectacular so request a high room. No worries if you don't get it because...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Please apologize us for the inconvenient during your stay at hour hotel and that your room was done during your visit with a Do not Disturb. After reviewing our policies,If the "Do Not Disturb" sign is left on the guestroom door after 4:00 p.m., no later than 6:00 p.m., the designated manager will call the room to inquire about service. If there is no answer, a designated associate will inspect the room. At this time the room should be prepared for the next day. We encourage our guest to give us a call to not make the room since, many times, guests forgive the sign hanged in the door and claim that the rooms was not done during day.

I will do our best to correct any deviation in our processes so a situation likes do not happen again.

Looking forward that you visit us one more time and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Regards
Maracaibo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The hotel is pretty great. The room was amazing, I'm very much into clean looks, white sheets brown/dark brown or grey accesories. I hate patterned or flower desings on the covers, those duvets you don't even want to touch, tacky decorations and so on. This room had none of that, as you can see in my pictures. Very clean look and modern. Lots of room space, big comfortable beds, great A/C and a huge bathroom. It had an iron and a safe box. Breakfast was included and it was great, it had variety. Free high speed wifi in the room. Pool in the rooftop with a great view of the city, and a great looking spa and gym (we didn't try it but it looked great).

Not much to do around the hotel, there's a tiny, dark and sad covenience store next to the hotel but it was good enough to buy water and snacks if we wanted to. I'm not sure about the location. There are some stores and casinos on each side of the hotel, but nothing that great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

On behalf of our staff and our managers I would like to thank you for your comments and visit to our Tryp by Wyndham Panama Hotel. Is good to hear that you had a great stay to our hotel and that our staff went above and beyond to make your visit as comfortable as possible.

If the travel brings you back to the area please don’t hesitate to contact us in order to make your next stay as best as your last one. We work every day to exceed our guest’s expectations and make every stay as pleasant as possible.

Warmest Regards

Been to TRYP Panama Centro? Share your experiences!