“They were going to call the Police when I disputed a charge!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of TRYP Panama Centro

You added TRYP Panama Centro to your Saves list
TRYP Panama Centro
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Veneto | El Cangrejo Bellavista, Panama City 00000, Panama   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 112 Hotels in Panama City
Miami, Florida
“They were going to call the Police when I disputed a charge!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed in two rooms in your TRYP hotel in the center of that City.

The location is very good, but we had problems from the start. We had confirmed several times adjoining rooms, yet they had our two rooms in separate floors. We insisted on at least the same floor since we were traveling with our two kids and my elderly mother-in-law, miraculously two rooms on the same floor were found. The rooms are comfortable.

But a very NEGATIVE and unbelievable thing happened at check out. They had two miscellaneous charges on the room that not even the front desk clerk knew why they were there. He called the person in charge of the maid service and she explained that the $32 plus tax was basically for two dirty bathroom rugs! Yes those little rug/towels you put on the floor! Imagine that, in a country that rains all the time where you come to see a rainforest and a canal (which means you will encounter mud and other stuff) they expect to keep the bathroom ‘rugs’ clean! I asked why this was not brought to my attention when it happened since according to the bill it had happened two days prior and there was no response. I asked how am I suppose to know that these were my ‘rugs’ and they brought me two dirty rugs and told me they were from my room!

I asked to speak to the manager since I did not agree with the charge and I was told that there was no manager on duty that he was traveling! Eventually the person “in charge” showed up at the front desk and in a very intimidating and in your face manner basically told me that I can either pay it or he could call the POLICE! Since he did not want to give me his name, I asked the front desk clerk and he told me the guy’s name is ‘Ricardo’. We did not want to miss our flight so we paid it.

My family travels often in and outside of the US and we have NEVER been treated like this.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jose C, Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our staff please apologize for the inconvenient you had during your check out at the hotel, unfortunately I was not in Panama at the moment this happened. After doing a research with our housekeeper manager, the towels were stained with some king of shoe polish and we had to declared this towels unusable for the operation. Hotel will not charge any amount to our guest only if the towels are use in a proper manner, when a towel is use for other propose then we will need to check if we can restore it for use, if not then we need to advise our guest that a small charge my be apply.

I already spoke with the manager and I want to apologize on behalf of Ricardo who spoke with you during this situation.

Please don't hesitate to contact us in order to make it right for you.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Finnish first
Framingham, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is a new hotel that opened in 2012. It's in the financial district with quite a few good restaurants and bar nearby. It was convenient to go out at night for dinner (Machu Piccu was nearby). Additionally, a grocer store is just around the corner, where we got big bottle of water to stay hydrated. The room was clean, spacious, modern and quite. I particularly like the large size on the vanity counter top. Water pressure is very good. There is also a retractable clothes line installed in the shower for hanging small pieces of garment, e.g. swimming suit that I found quite useful. Although the hotel has Jacuzzi, swimming pool, steam room and sauna, for some reason, they are not operating (particular the Jacuzzi) during the posted open hours. These facilities are on the roof top with a bar and sit area, I found the waiting stuff here is scarce and hard to get help. The other issue we ran into was that the toilet tank didn't refill water after flush. But right after we reported the issue, a plumber came and fixed it right away. The staff are friendly but not all of them speak good English, and the check-in is extremely slow (took us about 30 min to complete). The hotel restaurant offers good breakfast for $9, but if you eat light breakfast, there is a small restaurant almost next door that offers GREAT coffee and other breakfast items.

There are a couple of things that confused me in this hotel:
1. During the check in, I was charged $250 as deposit, and then refunded to me immediately after I questioned it, and after the staff found out i already pre-paid my stay via Expedia. Then a $75 was charged as the deposit of which will be refunded to me during checkout. I seldom ran into this situations and I traveled quite a bit internationally. Due to the language barrier, I didn't argue but made a note to ensure the refund took place during check out and it did.
2. One bottle of water was provided to the room and I found that's a bit odd as we have two travelers. But this is a small thing that doesn't bother me much.

There is also a safe, a tiny (one cup) coffee maker, and a hair dryer available in the room. I rate the room as 5 but services and facilities as 4 due to the slow check-in and Jacuzzi I mentioned earlier. One last thing, my last day in Panama city, it was a Sat and the Post Office is closed so I could not get a stamp for my postcards. Even though the front desk mentioned they normally will not mail the postcard without a stamp, the staff mentioned he could try after I provided fee of the postage. I will see if I get the postcard in the mail, then I will come back to upgrade the service rating for 5. For now, I am keeping it as 3 due to the slow check in and confused deposit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Jose C, General Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our staff I would like to thank you for your stay with us at the Tryp by Wyndham Panama and let us know that we do our best for you.

Regarding the issues with the Rooftop bar we are taking the steps to improve our services and make of this area one of the most enjoyable in our hotel for our guests.

Also please apologize us for the situation with the check in since there a new personal that need some tune up regarding some process but I will make sure that this get corrected..

And last, I will do my best that your mail will arrive as promise...Please don't hesitate to contact me if this don't get to destination..

Beaver Creek, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The actual facilities were great with an overall modern, clean look and feel. The rooms were overly spacious, the beds were really comfortable, and the A/C cranked. The rooftop pool/hot tub were awesome, but the rooftop bar was never staffed over the 3 days we were there. We had to call down for beers and about 20-30 minutes later, someone would finally come up with them. I'm not picky about housekeeping and since I carry a lot of electronics with me, I left the "do not disturb" sign on the door only to continue coming back to find the room cleaned. Although relatively helpful, each time I approached the front desk for anything, I got the impression I was a nuisance and inconvenience - even when checking in. The location is good, but it's a $20+ taxi ride to any of the main "sights" around Panama City.

Again, overall the stay was good, but I think a few small changes could make it great. However, with what I experienced, I think it's highly overpriced and would look somewhere cheaper next time. I didn't see the value for what I paid.

Room Tip: The views are pretty spectacular so request a high room. No worries if you don't get it because...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Please apologize us for the inconvenient during your stay at hour hotel and that your room was done during your visit with a Do not Disturb. After reviewing our policies,If the "Do Not Disturb" sign is left on the guestroom door after 4:00 p.m., no later than 6:00 p.m., the designated manager will call the room to inquire about service. If there is no answer, a designated associate will inspect the room. At this time the room should be prepared for the next day. We encourage our guest to give us a call to not make the room since, many times, guests forgive the sign hanged in the door and claim that the rooms was not done during day.

I will do our best to correct any deviation in our processes so a situation likes do not happen again.

Looking forward that you visit us one more time and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Maracaibo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The hotel is pretty great. The room was amazing, I'm very much into clean looks, white sheets brown/dark brown or grey accesories. I hate patterned or flower desings on the covers, those duvets you don't even want to touch, tacky decorations and so on. This room had none of that, as you can see in my pictures. Very clean look and modern. Lots of room space, big comfortable beds, great A/C and a huge bathroom. It had an iron and a safe box. Breakfast was included and it was great, it had variety. Free high speed wifi in the room. Pool in the rooftop with a great view of the city, and a great looking spa and gym (we didn't try it but it looked great).

Not much to do around the hotel, there's a tiny, dark and sad covenience store next to the hotel but it was good enough to buy water and snacks if we wanted to. I'm not sure about the location. There are some stores and casinos on each side of the hotel, but nothing that great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

On behalf of our staff and our managers I would like to thank you for your comments and visit to our Tryp by Wyndham Panama Hotel. Is good to hear that you had a great stay to our hotel and that our staff went above and beyond to make your visit as comfortable as possible.

If the travel brings you back to the area please don’t hesitate to contact us in order to make your next stay as best as your last one. We work every day to exceed our guest’s expectations and make every stay as pleasant as possible.

Manhattan, NY, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed at the Tryp Panama Centro for three nights at the end of March, two people in a King bed room.

All in all, the hotel is really terrific. Check in was easy. Several of the front desk staff people provided below-average customer service, but a couple went above and beyond -- so much so, that it masked the shortcomings of the others. We had breakfast included in our rate (~$110 per night), which was decent -- fruit assortment, waffle station, eggs etc.

The room was very well-appointed and modern. The bed was extremely comfortable and the shower was really nice and large. Absolutely no complaints about the room.

The pool on the roof was perfect -- not a huge pool, but has a jacuzzi, great exposure to the sun and expansive views of the city. We spent a couple late afternoons here having some of their cocktails (again with so-so customer service), and taking a break from the city. There was a small fitness center with treadmills, as well as a steam room and sauna.

Other things about the hotel -- the location was pretty good and always central to wherever we were going. There's a large casino nearby which is nice and the area is reasonably lively though not at all wild or anything. There are always cars and drivers waiting outside the hotel, but if you speak Spanish, I'd recommend just using taxis as they're quite a bit cheaper and get the job done.

Overall, I'd highly recommend staying here if you're vising Panama City; and if I visit the city again, I will for sure stay at the Tryp.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose C, General Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our staff and myself I would like to thank you for your visit during your stay at our hotel Tryp by Wyndham Panama. It is good to hear that you had a great stay and that our location and services fits your needs.

We hope that you can visit us one more time if the travel bring you back to Panama. Don't hesitate to contact us for your needs and we will do our best to make your stay a great one more time...

Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This hotel is only around 9 months old and the price right now is a true steal! Excellent rooms with great service at the front desk, bars, everywhere. Amazing view from the rooftop pool and the fitness room on the top floor. I never woke up once during my 6 nights of sleep here. Ultra comfy beds. Happy hour every night was a great way to come back after work. Modern decor, helpful staff, definitely a place I'll come back to again. The location was great, but the downside is the horrible traffic around here due to lots of infrastructure construction.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

On behalf of our entire staff at the Tryp by Wyndham Panama I would like to thank you for your comments and stay at our property. It is good to hear that you had a great and pleasant visit.

Please don't hesitate to contact us in the near future if the travel bring you back to the area and give us the opportunity one more time..

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed one night. We arrived at 5pm, checked in reasonably quickly and then waited while they "made sure our room was ready". And waited. And waited. Around 5:45 we were finally given a key to our room. Rooms are nice enough, modern minimalism, clean, no complaints there.
Called for an extra pillow but they said house keeping was gone for the night. "Sorry." Really?
The vibe was 'tour group' when we were there. Lots of luggage in the lobby and lots of folks from these tours standing about. They weren't relaxing, being on vacation, but standing there waiting for something.
We had to catch a cab early and I found myself with a single hundred dollar bill. I didn't expect the cab driver to have change so tried to get change at the front desk. The employee I talked to asked his manager if she could break it (right in front on me). She didn't look at me or him, simply shook her head and said no. In most parts of Central America I would completely understand but in a $150+/night hotel in modern Panama City where the local currency is the US dollar, I expected more than a head shake. I asked the manager directly and explained I needed to catch a cab to the airport and it was all I had, could she help me out, please. She looked at me and my two young kids (and our bags) and told us we should try the casino a block away. Really? I gave up on that. Went outside and flagged a cab, explained to him all I had was a $100 bill. He took the bill walked in the hotel and walked right out with change, given to him by the manager I had been talking to. Really?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had during your stay at the hotel. There is no excuse for the way you were treated and served by our reception during your visit. We were able to identify units or employees who have not been following our service policies and standards reason why we had to make changes in the department to avoid further situations like yours. This is not our standards of service and operations and I will make sure that this situation do not happen again.

Thank you again for your comments hoping that you give us the opportunity one more time to make it right for you..

Regards

Been to TRYP Panama Centro? Share your experiences!