This is a new hotel that opened in 2012. It's in the financial district with quite a few good restaurants and bar nearby. It was convenient to go out at night for dinner (Machu Piccu was nearby). Additionally, a grocer store is just around the corner, where we got big bottle of water to stay hydrated. The room was clean, spacious, modern and quite. I particularly like the large size on the vanity counter top. Water pressure is very good. There is also a retractable clothes line installed in the shower for hanging small pieces of garment, e.g. swimming suit that I found quite useful. Although the hotel has Jacuzzi, swimming pool, steam room and sauna, for some reason, they are not operating (particular the Jacuzzi) during the posted open hours. These facilities are on the roof top with a bar and sit area, I found the waiting stuff here is scarce and hard to get help. The other issue we ran into was that the toilet tank didn't refill water after flush. But right after we reported the issue, a plumber came and fixed it right away. The staff are friendly but not all of them speak good English, and the check-in is extremely slow (took us about 30 min to complete). The hotel restaurant offers good breakfast for $9, but if you eat light breakfast, there is a small restaurant almost next door that offers GREAT coffee and other breakfast items.
There are a couple of things that confused me in this hotel:
1. During the check in, I was charged $250 as deposit, and then refunded to me immediately after I questioned it, and after the staff found out i already pre-paid my stay via Expedia. Then a $75 was charged as the deposit of which will be refunded to me during checkout. I seldom ran into this situations and I traveled quite a bit internationally. Due to the language barrier, I didn't argue but made a note to ensure the refund took place during check out and it did.
2. One bottle of water was provided to the room and I found that's a bit odd as we have two travelers. But this is a small thing that doesn't bother me much.
There is also a safe, a tiny (one cup) coffee maker, and a hair dryer available in the room. I rate the room as 5 but services and facilities as 4 due to the slow check-in and Jacuzzi I mentioned earlier. One last thing, my last day in Panama city, it was a Sat and the Post Office is closed so I could not get a stamp for my postcards. Even though the front desk mentioned they normally will not mail the postcard without a stamp, the staff mentioned he could try after I provided fee of the postage. I will see if I get the postcard in the mail, then I will come back to upgrade the service rating for 5. For now, I am keeping it as 3 due to the slow check in and confused deposit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The TRYP Panama Centro is located in the heart of Panama City in the upscale El Cangrejo, Bella Vista neighborhood just 15 miles from Tocumen International Airport & 250 mts from the New El Carmen Metro (Subway) Station. The convenient location of our hotel puts you within walking distance to some of Panama's best restaurants (40+ or more restaurante within 10 minutes walk), shopping and nightlife ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline and HotelTravel.com so you can book your TRYP Panama Centro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- TRYP Panama Centro Panama City