“Clean and nicely equipped hotel, nice neighborhood for restaurants and bars” 4 of 5 stars
Review of TRYP Panama Centro

You added TRYP Panama Centro to your Saves list
TRYP Panama Centro
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Veneto | El Cangrejo BellaVista, Panama City 00000, Panama   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
Framingham, MA
“Clean and nicely equipped hotel, nice neighborhood for restaurants and bars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is a new hotel that opened in 2012. It's in the financial district with quite a few good restaurants and bar nearby. It was convenient to go out at night for dinner (Machu Piccu was nearby). Additionally, a grocer store is just around the corner, where we got big bottle of water to stay hydrated. The room was clean, spacious, modern and quite. I particularly like the large size on the vanity counter top. Water pressure is very good. There is also a retractable clothes line installed in the shower for hanging small pieces of garment, e.g. swimming suit that I found quite useful. Although the hotel has Jacuzzi, swimming pool, steam room and sauna, for some reason, they are not operating (particular the Jacuzzi) during the posted open hours. These facilities are on the roof top with a bar and sit area, I found the waiting stuff here is scarce and hard to get help. The other issue we ran into was that the toilet tank didn't refill water after flush. But right after we reported the issue, a plumber came and fixed it right away. The staff are friendly but not all of them speak good English, and the check-in is extremely slow (took us about 30 min to complete). The hotel restaurant offers good breakfast for $9, but if you eat light breakfast, there is a small restaurant almost next door that offers GREAT coffee and other breakfast items.

There are a couple of things that confused me in this hotel:
1. During the check in, I was charged $250 as deposit, and then refunded to me immediately after I questioned it, and after the staff found out i already pre-paid my stay via Expedia. Then a $75 was charged as the deposit of which will be refunded to me during checkout. I seldom ran into this situations and I traveled quite a bit internationally. Due to the language barrier, I didn't argue but made a note to ensure the refund took place during check out and it did.
2. One bottle of water was provided to the room and I found that's a bit odd as we have two travelers. But this is a small thing that doesn't bother me much.

There is also a safe, a tiny (one cup) coffee maker, and a hair dryer available in the room. I rate the room as 5 but services and facilities as 4 due to the slow check-in and Jacuzzi I mentioned earlier. One last thing, my last day in Panama city, it was a Sat and the Post Office is closed so I could not get a stamp for my postcards. Even though the front desk mentioned they normally will not mail the postcard without a stamp, the staff mentioned he could try after I provided fee of the postage. I will see if I get the postcard in the mail, then I will come back to upgrade the service rating for 5. For now, I am keeping it as 3 due to the slow check in and confused deposit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Jose C, General Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our staff I would like to thank you for your stay with us at the Tryp by Wyndham Panama and let us know that we do our best for you.

Regarding the issues with the Rooftop bar we are taking the steps to improve our services and make of this area one of the most enjoyable in our hotel for our guests.

Also please apologize us for the situation with the check in since there a new personal that need some tune up regarding some process but I will make sure that this get corrected..

And last, I will do my best that your mail will arrive as promise...Please don't hesitate to contact me if this don't get to destination..

Warmest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Finnish first
Beaver Creek, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The actual facilities were great with an overall modern, clean look and feel. The rooms were overly spacious, the beds were really comfortable, and the A/C cranked. The rooftop pool/hot tub were awesome, but the rooftop bar was never staffed over the 3 days we were there. We had to call down for beers and about 20-30 minutes later, someone would finally come up with them. I'm not picky about housekeeping and since I carry a lot of electronics with me, I left the "do not disturb" sign on the door only to continue coming back to find the room cleaned. Although relatively helpful, each time I approached the front desk for anything, I got the impression I was a nuisance and inconvenience - even when checking in. The location is good, but it's a $20+ taxi ride to any of the main "sights" around Panama City.

Again, overall the stay was good, but I think a few small changes could make it great. However, with what I experienced, I think it's highly overpriced and would look somewhere cheaper next time. I didn't see the value for what I paid.

Room Tip: The views are pretty spectacular so request a high room. No worries if you don't get it because...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Please apologize us for the inconvenient during your stay at hour hotel and that your room was done during your visit with a Do not Disturb. After reviewing our policies,If the "Do Not Disturb" sign is left on the guestroom door after 4:00 p.m., no later than 6:00 p.m., the designated manager will call the room to inquire about service. If there is no answer, a designated associate will inspect the room. At this time the room should be prepared for the next day. We encourage our guest to give us a call to not make the room since, many times, guests forgive the sign hanged in the door and claim that the rooms was not done during day.

I will do our best to correct any deviation in our processes so a situation likes do not happen again.

Looking forward that you visit us one more time and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Maracaibo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The hotel is pretty great. The room was amazing, I'm very much into clean looks, white sheets brown/dark brown or grey accesories. I hate patterned or flower desings on the covers, those duvets you don't even want to touch, tacky decorations and so on. This room had none of that, as you can see in my pictures. Very clean look and modern. Lots of room space, big comfortable beds, great A/C and a huge bathroom. It had an iron and a safe box. Breakfast was included and it was great, it had variety. Free high speed wifi in the room. Pool in the rooftop with a great view of the city, and a great looking spa and gym (we didn't try it but it looked great).

Not much to do around the hotel, there's a tiny, dark and sad covenience store next to the hotel but it was good enough to buy water and snacks if we wanted to. I'm not sure about the location. There are some stores and casinos on each side of the hotel, but nothing that great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

On behalf of our staff and our managers I would like to thank you for your comments and visit to our Tryp by Wyndham Panama Hotel. Is good to hear that you had a great stay to our hotel and that our staff went above and beyond to make your visit as comfortable as possible.

If the travel brings you back to the area please don’t hesitate to contact us in order to make your next stay as best as your last one. We work every day to exceed our guest’s expectations and make every stay as pleasant as possible.

Manhattan, NY, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed at the Tryp Panama Centro for three nights at the end of March, two people in a King bed room.

All in all, the hotel is really terrific. Check in was easy. Several of the front desk staff people provided below-average customer service, but a couple went above and beyond -- so much so, that it masked the shortcomings of the others. We had breakfast included in our rate (~$110 per night), which was decent -- fruit assortment, waffle station, eggs etc.

The room was very well-appointed and modern. The bed was extremely comfortable and the shower was really nice and large. Absolutely no complaints about the room.

The pool on the roof was perfect -- not a huge pool, but has a jacuzzi, great exposure to the sun and expansive views of the city. We spent a couple late afternoons here having some of their cocktails (again with so-so customer service), and taking a break from the city. There was a small fitness center with treadmills, as well as a steam room and sauna.

Other things about the hotel -- the location was pretty good and always central to wherever we were going. There's a large casino nearby which is nice and the area is reasonably lively though not at all wild or anything. There are always cars and drivers waiting outside the hotel, but if you speak Spanish, I'd recommend just using taxis as they're quite a bit cheaper and get the job done.

Overall, I'd highly recommend staying here if you're vising Panama City; and if I visit the city again, I will for sure stay at the Tryp.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose C, General Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our staff and myself I would like to thank you for your visit during your stay at our hotel Tryp by Wyndham Panama. It is good to hear that you had a great stay and that our location and services fits your needs.

We hope that you can visit us one more time if the travel bring you back to Panama. Don't hesitate to contact us for your needs and we will do our best to make your stay a great one more time...

Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This hotel is only around 9 months old and the price right now is a true steal! Excellent rooms with great service at the front desk, bars, everywhere. Amazing view from the rooftop pool and the fitness room on the top floor. I never woke up once during my 6 nights of sleep here. Ultra comfy beds. Happy hour every night was a great way to come back after work. Modern decor, helpful staff, definitely a place I'll come back to again. The location was great, but the downside is the horrible traffic around here due to lots of infrastructure construction.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

On behalf of our entire staff at the Tryp by Wyndham Panama I would like to thank you for your comments and stay at our property. It is good to hear that you had a great and pleasant visit.

Please don't hesitate to contact us in the near future if the travel bring you back to the area and give us the opportunity one more time..

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed one night. We arrived at 5pm, checked in reasonably quickly and then waited while they "made sure our room was ready". And waited. And waited. Around 5:45 we were finally given a key to our room. Rooms are nice enough, modern minimalism, clean, no complaints there.
Called for an extra pillow but they said house keeping was gone for the night. "Sorry." Really?
The vibe was 'tour group' when we were there. Lots of luggage in the lobby and lots of folks from these tours standing about. They weren't relaxing, being on vacation, but standing there waiting for something.
We had to catch a cab early and I found myself with a single hundred dollar bill. I didn't expect the cab driver to have change so tried to get change at the front desk. The employee I talked to asked his manager if she could break it (right in front on me). She didn't look at me or him, simply shook her head and said no. In most parts of Central America I would completely understand but in a $150+/night hotel in modern Panama City where the local currency is the US dollar, I expected more than a head shake. I asked the manager directly and explained I needed to catch a cab to the airport and it was all I had, could she help me out, please. She looked at me and my two young kids (and our bags) and told us we should try the casino a block away. Really? I gave up on that. Went outside and flagged a cab, explained to him all I had was a $100 bill. He took the bill walked in the hotel and walked right out with change, given to him by the manager I had been talking to. Really?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had during your stay at the hotel. There is no excuse for the way you were treated and served by our reception during your visit. We were able to identify units or employees who have not been following our service policies and standards reason why we had to make changes in the department to avoid further situations like yours. This is not our standards of service and operations and I will make sure that this situation do not happen again.

Thank you again for your comments hoping that you give us the opportunity one more time to make it right for you..

New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at the TRYP Panama 3 separate times during our 8 days in Panama as a jumping off point to numerous single and multi-day trips. It was a great choice for location and they maintained our luggage during our other trips. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this relatively new hotel and would recommend it, though we have some pros and cons to share with future travelers...

PROS:
- New hotel in a convenient central city location where it costs $5-12 by taxi nearly anywhere.
- Very competively priced - compare prices on the major travel sites and expect to pay between $80-100/night, which is a good deal for what the hotel offers. Your rate may include free breakfast
- Rooms are all well-appointed with flatscreen cable TV, safe, modern finishes, plenty of lighting options and wifi, which always worked well.
- Breakfast was not included in our rate and costs $10 for buffet style. There are 4 hot options, a variety of breads, juices, waffle maker, 4 cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit. Enough to satisfy a variety of tastes and it was suitable for us
- Decent size pool on rooftop. We enjoyed it for ourselves on several occasions. There's also a basic fitness room with 1 universal machine, 2-4 treadmills/stair climbers and free weights. There's also a steam room and sauna.
- Lobby bar offered brief menu with appetizers and great happy hour specials 2 for 1.
- During very late/very early hours there is a fully armed police officer stationed in the lobby during non-peak hours.

CONS:
- During one of the stays there was no hot water in the shower (but there was hot water from the sink) and we were only on floor 5.
- We found the service to be acceptable, but not stellar. I called the front desk for a wake up call around 10pm, but no one picked up during several attepts over the span of 30 minutes. Given all the previous reviews, I was expecting a lot worse, and can tell they are trying to provide good service, but customer service is not to the sam standard as in the US or other locations, so manage your expectations accordingly. Don't expect anyone going "above and beyond" to satisfy you.
- Other reviewers complained about the slow elevator - we did not find this to be a problem. Similarly, people complained about rooms near the elevator. Again, we did not experience loud noise as an issue (in fact, all 3 visit were in rooms within the elevator area).

Additional recommendations:
- Ask to stay on a high floor with city views
- Do not take taxis provided by the hotel as they generally cost more. Walk outside and hail a taxi to negotiate a much better price
- The breakfast is convenient, but explore other local places. For lunch/dinner, Taverna 21 on Calle Argentina a few blocks away was recommended and we went twice. Fantastic local tapas restaurant/bar with mostly locals.

Enjoy your time in Panama!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a high floor to get better views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose C, Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our staff and myself I would like to thank for staying with us at the Tryp by Wyndham Panama. It is good to hear that you have a good experience during your visit but, at the same time, there were some issues that you had like the hot water, just want to let you know that we already took care and repair that irregular situation with the shower. Regarding services as administrators we are working very hard to teach new young people in Panama about service, We have implement a new weekly program to teach our employees about guest service satisfaction, this program will take our employees to the next level of services, most of them is their first job in a hotel and we need to inculcate our brand service culture . We are doing our effort to maintain and give the best service in every situation.

I will like to thank you again for your comments that helps us be a better hotel, we will continue to work on those areas that need attentions in order to make every stay the best possible for all our guests..

Thank you!