We stayed at the TRYP Panama 3 separate times during our 8 days in Panama as a jumping off point to numerous single and multi-day trips. It was a great choice for location and they maintained our luggage during our other trips. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this relatively new hotel and would recommend it, though we have some pros and cons to share with future travelers...
- New hotel in a convenient central city location where it costs $5-12 by taxi nearly anywhere.
- Very competively priced - compare prices on the major travel sites and expect to pay between $80-100/night, which is a good deal for what the hotel offers. Your rate may include free breakfast
- Rooms are all well-appointed with flatscreen cable TV, safe, modern finishes, plenty of lighting options and wifi, which always worked well.
- Breakfast was not included in our rate and costs $10 for buffet style. There are 4 hot options, a variety of breads, juices, waffle maker, 4 cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit. Enough to satisfy a variety of tastes and it was suitable for us
- Decent size pool on rooftop. We enjoyed it for ourselves on several occasions. There's also a basic fitness room with 1 universal machine, 2-4 treadmills/stair climbers and free weights. There's also a steam room and sauna.
- Lobby bar offered brief menu with appetizers and great happy hour specials 2 for 1.
- During very late/very early hours there is a fully armed police officer stationed in the lobby during non-peak hours.
- During one of the stays there was no hot water in the shower (but there was hot water from the sink) and we were only on floor 5.
- We found the service to be acceptable, but not stellar. I called the front desk for a wake up call around 10pm, but no one picked up during several attepts over the span of 30 minutes. Given all the previous reviews, I was expecting a lot worse, and can tell they are trying to provide good service, but customer service is not to the sam standard as in the US or other locations, so manage your expectations accordingly. Don't expect anyone going "above and beyond" to satisfy you.
- Other reviewers complained about the slow elevator - we did not find this to be a problem. Similarly, people complained about rooms near the elevator. Again, we did not experience loud noise as an issue (in fact, all 3 visit were in rooms within the elevator area).
- Ask to stay on a high floor with city views
- Do not take taxis provided by the hotel as they generally cost more. Walk outside and hail a taxi to negotiate a much better price
- The breakfast is convenient, but explore other local places. For lunch/dinner, Taverna 21 on Calle Argentina a few blocks away was recommended and we went twice. Fantastic local tapas restaurant/bar with mostly locals.
Enjoy your time in Panama!
Ask for a room with a high floor to get better views
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
On behalf of our staff and myself I would like to thank for staying with us at the Tryp by Wyndham Panama. It is good to hear that you have a good experience during your visit but, at the same time, there were some issues that you had like the hot water, just want to let you know that we already took care and repair that irregular situation with the shower. Regarding services as administrators we are working very hard to teach new young people in Panama about service, We have implement a new weekly program to teach our employees about guest service satisfaction, this program will take our employees to the next level of services, most of them is their first job in a hotel and we need to inculcate our brand service culture . We are doing our effort to maintain and give the best service in every situation.
I will like to thank you again for your comments that helps us be a better hotel, we will continue to work on those areas that need attentions in order to make every stay the best possible for all our guests..
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.