“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of TRYP Panama Centro

Save Saved
You added TRYP Panama Centro to your Saves list
TRYP Panama Centro
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Veneto | El Cangrejo Bellavista, Panama City 00000, Panama   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 107 Hotels in Panama City
Maracaibo
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The hotel is pretty great. The room was amazing, I'm very much into clean looks, white sheets brown/dark brown or grey accesories. I hate patterned or flower desings on the covers, those duvets you don't even want to touch, tacky decorations and so on. This room had none of that, as you can see in my pictures. Very clean look and modern. Lots of room space, big comfortable beds, great A/C and a huge bathroom. It had an iron and a safe box. Breakfast was included and it was great, it had variety. Free high speed wifi in the room. Pool in the rooftop with a great view of the city, and a great looking spa and gym (we didn't try it but it looked great).

Not much to do around the hotel, there's a tiny, dark and sad covenience store next to the hotel but it was good enough to buy water and snacks if we wanted to. I'm not sure about the location. There are some stores and casinos on each side of the hotel, but nothing that great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jose C, General Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our staff and our managers I would like to thank you for your comments and visit to our Tryp by Wyndham Panama Hotel. Is good to hear that you had a great stay to our hotel and that our staff went above and beyond to make your visit as comfortable as possible.

If the travel brings you back to the area please don’t hesitate to contact us in order to make your next stay as best as your last one. We work every day to exceed our guest’s expectations and make every stay as pleasant as possible.

Warmest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Manhattan, NY, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed at the Tryp Panama Centro for three nights at the end of March, two people in a King bed room.

All in all, the hotel is really terrific. Check in was easy. Several of the front desk staff people provided below-average customer service, but a couple went above and beyond -- so much so, that it masked the shortcomings of the others. We had breakfast included in our rate (~$110 per night), which was decent -- fruit assortment, waffle station, eggs etc.

The room was very well-appointed and modern. The bed was extremely comfortable and the shower was really nice and large. Absolutely no complaints about the room.

The pool on the roof was perfect -- not a huge pool, but has a jacuzzi, great exposure to the sun and expansive views of the city. We spent a couple late afternoons here having some of their cocktails (again with so-so customer service), and taking a break from the city. There was a small fitness center with treadmills, as well as a steam room and sauna.

Other things about the hotel -- the location was pretty good and always central to wherever we were going. There's a large casino nearby which is nice and the area is reasonably lively though not at all wild or anything. There are always cars and drivers waiting outside the hotel, but if you speak Spanish, I'd recommend just using taxis as they're quite a bit cheaper and get the job done.

Overall, I'd highly recommend staying here if you're vising Panama City; and if I visit the city again, I will for sure stay at the Tryp.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose C, General Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our staff and myself I would like to thank you for your visit during your stay at our hotel Tryp by Wyndham Panama. It is good to hear that you had a great stay and that our location and services fits your needs.

We hope that you can visit us one more time if the travel bring you back to Panama. Don't hesitate to contact us for your needs and we will do our best to make your stay a great one more time...

Regards
Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This hotel is only around 9 months old and the price right now is a true steal! Excellent rooms with great service at the front desk, bars, everywhere. Amazing view from the rooftop pool and the fitness room on the top floor. I never woke up once during my 6 nights of sleep here. Ultra comfy beds. Happy hour every night was a great way to come back after work. Modern decor, helpful staff, definitely a place I'll come back to again. The location was great, but the downside is the horrible traffic around here due to lots of infrastructure construction.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

On behalf of our entire staff at the Tryp by Wyndham Panama I would like to thank you for your comments and stay at our property. It is good to hear that you had a great and pleasant visit.

Please don't hesitate to contact us in the near future if the travel bring you back to the area and give us the opportunity one more time..

Warmest Regards
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed one night. We arrived at 5pm, checked in reasonably quickly and then waited while they "made sure our room was ready". And waited. And waited. Around 5:45 we were finally given a key to our room. Rooms are nice enough, modern minimalism, clean, no complaints there.
Called for an extra pillow but they said house keeping was gone for the night. "Sorry." Really?
The vibe was 'tour group' when we were there. Lots of luggage in the lobby and lots of folks from these tours standing about. They weren't relaxing, being on vacation, but standing there waiting for something.
We had to catch a cab early and I found myself with a single hundred dollar bill. I didn't expect the cab driver to have change so tried to get change at the front desk. The employee I talked to asked his manager if she could break it (right in front on me). She didn't look at me or him, simply shook her head and said no. In most parts of Central America I would completely understand but in a $150+/night hotel in modern Panama City where the local currency is the US dollar, I expected more than a head shake. I asked the manager directly and explained I needed to catch a cab to the airport and it was all I had, could she help me out, please. She looked at me and my two young kids (and our bags) and told us we should try the casino a block away. Really? I gave up on that. Went outside and flagged a cab, explained to him all I had was a $100 bill. He took the bill walked in the hotel and walked right out with change, given to him by the manager I had been talking to. Really?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had during your stay at the hotel. There is no excuse for the way you were treated and served by our reception during your visit. We were able to identify units or employees who have not been following our service policies and standards reason why we had to make changes in the department to avoid further situations like yours. This is not our standards of service and operations and I will make sure that this situation do not happen again.

Thank you again for your comments hoping that you give us the opportunity one more time to make it right for you..

Regards
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at the TRYP Panama 3 separate times during our 8 days in Panama as a jumping off point to numerous single and multi-day trips. It was a great choice for location and they maintained our luggage during our other trips. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this relatively new hotel and would recommend it, though we have some pros and cons to share with future travelers...

PROS:
- New hotel in a convenient central city location where it costs $5-12 by taxi nearly anywhere.
- Very competively priced - compare prices on the major travel sites and expect to pay between $80-100/night, which is a good deal for what the hotel offers. Your rate may include free breakfast
- Rooms are all well-appointed with flatscreen cable TV, safe, modern finishes, plenty of lighting options and wifi, which always worked well.
- Breakfast was not included in our rate and costs $10 for buffet style. There are 4 hot options, a variety of breads, juices, waffle maker, 4 cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit. Enough to satisfy a variety of tastes and it was suitable for us
- Decent size pool on rooftop. We enjoyed it for ourselves on several occasions. There's also a basic fitness room with 1 universal machine, 2-4 treadmills/stair climbers and free weights. There's also a steam room and sauna.
- Lobby bar offered brief menu with appetizers and great happy hour specials 2 for 1.
- During very late/very early hours there is a fully armed police officer stationed in the lobby during non-peak hours.

CONS:
- During one of the stays there was no hot water in the shower (but there was hot water from the sink) and we were only on floor 5.
- We found the service to be acceptable, but not stellar. I called the front desk for a wake up call around 10pm, but no one picked up during several attepts over the span of 30 minutes. Given all the previous reviews, I was expecting a lot worse, and can tell they are trying to provide good service, but customer service is not to the sam standard as in the US or other locations, so manage your expectations accordingly. Don't expect anyone going "above and beyond" to satisfy you.
- Other reviewers complained about the slow elevator - we did not find this to be a problem. Similarly, people complained about rooms near the elevator. Again, we did not experience loud noise as an issue (in fact, all 3 visit were in rooms within the elevator area).

Additional recommendations:
- Ask to stay on a high floor with city views
- Do not take taxis provided by the hotel as they generally cost more. Walk outside and hail a taxi to negotiate a much better price
- The breakfast is convenient, but explore other local places. For lunch/dinner, Taverna 21 on Calle Argentina a few blocks away was recommended and we went twice. Fantastic local tapas restaurant/bar with mostly locals.

Enjoy your time in Panama!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a high floor to get better views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose C, Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our staff and myself I would like to thank for staying with us at the Tryp by Wyndham Panama. It is good to hear that you have a good experience during your visit but, at the same time, there were some issues that you had like the hot water, just want to let you know that we already took care and repair that irregular situation with the shower. Regarding services as administrators we are working very hard to teach new young people in Panama about service, We have implement a new weekly program to teach our employees about guest service satisfaction, this program will take our employees to the next level of services, most of them is their first job in a hotel and we need to inculcate our brand service culture . We are doing our effort to maintain and give the best service in every situation.

I will like to thank you again for your comments that helps us be a better hotel, we will continue to work on those areas that need attentions in order to make every stay the best possible for all our guests..

Thank you!
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Comfy beds and well appointed rooms. Staff very friendly and accommodating. Excellent service in restaurant and prompt room service delivery. Food was delicious too! English speaking staff at the registration desk too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Jose C, Gerente at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for recent stay at the Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro. We are working very hard to commit our staff in order to make every stay the best our guest can have in Panama. We hope that in the near future you give us the opportunity to serve you again and exceed your espectations one more time.

Dont hestitate to contact us for your next reservation in Panama city
Glendale, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Hotel is very nice. The service was great and the staff was very kind and helpful.The room was very nice and clean. Hotel had rooftop pool and gym. Great restaurant in the hotel and nearby and Veneto Casino was down the street. Great walking area with plenty of shopping. Hotel gave me a late check out free of charge since I had a late afternoon flight.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Jose C, Gerente at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest

OOn behalf of our entire staff I would like to thank you for your recent stay at the Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro. Is good to hear that your stay was wonderfull and that our staff met your espectations.

Please dont hesitate to contact us when the travel bring you back to the area.

Looking forward to see you again..

Been to TRYP Panama Centro? Share your experiences!