We stayed at the TRYP Panama 3 separate times during our 8 days in Panama as a jumping off point to numerous single and multi-day trips. It was a great choice for location and they maintained our luggage during our other trips. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this relatively new hotel and would recommend it, though we have some pros and cons to share with future travelers...
- New hotel in a convenient central city location where it costs $5-12 by taxi nearly anywhere.
- Very competively priced - compare prices on the major travel sites and expect to pay between $80-100/night, which is a good deal for what the hotel offers. Your rate may include free breakfast
- Rooms are all well-appointed with flatscreen cable TV, safe, modern finishes, plenty of lighting options and wifi, which always worked well.
- Breakfast was not included in our rate and costs $10 for buffet style. There are 4 hot options, a variety of breads, juices, waffle maker, 4 cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit. Enough to satisfy a variety of tastes and it was suitable for us
- Decent size pool on rooftop. We enjoyed it for ourselves on several occasions. There's also a basic fitness room with 1 universal machine, 2-4 treadmills/stair climbers and free weights. There's also a steam room and sauna.
- Lobby bar offered brief menu with appetizers and great happy hour specials 2 for 1.
- During very late/very early hours there is a fully armed police officer stationed in the lobby during non-peak hours.
- During one of the stays there was no hot water in the shower (but there was hot water from the sink) and we were only on floor 5.
- We found the service to be acceptable, but not stellar. I called the front desk for a wake up call around 10pm, but no one picked up during several attepts over the span of 30 minutes. Given all the previous reviews, I was expecting a lot worse, and can tell they are trying to provide good service, but customer service is not to the sam standard as in the US or other locations, so manage your expectations accordingly. Don't expect anyone going "above and beyond" to satisfy you.
- Other reviewers complained about the slow elevator - we did not find this to be a problem. Similarly, people complained about rooms near the elevator. Again, we did not experience loud noise as an issue (in fact, all 3 visit were in rooms within the elevator area).
- Ask to stay on a high floor with city views
- Do not take taxis provided by the hotel as they generally cost more. Walk outside and hail a taxi to negotiate a much better price
- The breakfast is convenient, but explore other local places. For lunch/dinner, Taverna 21 on Calle Argentina a few blocks away was recommended and we went twice. Fantastic local tapas restaurant/bar with mostly locals.
Enjoy your time in Panama!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The TRYP Panama Centro is located in the heart of Panama City in the upscale El Cangrejo, Bella Vista neighborhood just 15 miles from Tocumen International Airport & 250 mts from the New El Carmen Metro (Subway) Station. The convenient location of our hotel puts you within walking distance to some of Panama's best restaurants (40+ or more restaurante within 10 minutes walk), shopping and nightlife ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your TRYP Panama Centro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- TRYP Panama Centro Panama City