“long wait for elevators, short walk for breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of TRYP Panama Centro

You added TRYP Panama Centro to your Saves list
TRYP Panama Centro
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Veneto | El Cangrejo Bellavista, Panama City 00000, Panama   |
Ranked #6 of 111 Hotels in Panama City
Shawnee On Delaware
“long wait for elevators, short walk for breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

3 stays in two weeks. Room design, cleanliness, friendliness all good. The BIG problem is the elevators. Too few, too slow. Maybe they'll figure out how to program them better but until then you wait and wait. Also beware of the price of breakfast. Very nice but two blocks down the street on the corner is a Spanish restaurant with a nice outdoor terrace where you can have a king's breakfast for 1/3 the price of the hotel buffet.

Room Tip: three stays on three different floors on both sides, higher is better but it doesn't make much d...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jose C, Gerente at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our entire staff I would like to thank you for your comments and visit hoping that you can stay with us one more time when the business bring you back to the area. About the concern of the speed of our elevators sometimes it make difficult for us to do changes since they are made under some specifications for security reasons but we are willing to do some research about some possible adjustment if need it.

Thanks again for your visit and we hope to see you again and let us exceed your expectations..

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I found this hotel online becasue we were taking a family vacation to Panama. The hotel is just 6-7 months old. Evreything is brand new. The rooms were great. Keep in mind that the king soze rooms are a little smaller than the doubles. The hotel staff was very accomodatiing and even though it is great for family please remember that there are casinos in the area as well as brothels as prostitution is legal there. The good thing is, you don't anyone soliciting there services.

We were able to get the bed and breakfast rate ONLINE!!!! That included FREE BREAKFAST. Keep in mind that if you make your reservation through the hotel, they won't give you the same deals you may find online. The breakfast was a hot an cold buffeet which was very good. The top floor has a decent sized pool that is 4 feet deep and a jacuzzi. It also has a rooftop work out room, sauna, swedish shower; all very nice and clean. The italian restaurant next door was excellent. The portions were big and the prices were cheap and the food was good. Be sure to tell the
chamber maids that you want room swept and the furniture dusted everyday, otherwise, they'll just change the sheets and clean the bathroom.

Whatever deal you find online, bring your confirmation page with you and make sure that you tell them exactly what your deal includes. Before getting there people were wrting, saying that the staff was trying to charge them for breakfast, even though it was included in their package, and saying it was a computer error. But when we got there, I went over everything with the young lady and she was fine. One of the other workers tried coming over saying that it was wrong, but she was quickly corrected. I think they don't really know what deals are given on the TRYP website.

You can walk down to via espania for some shopping, but if you really want to hit the malls you will need to either rent a car, dollar rental is down the block or look into all the excursion trips that are around. They will cost you some money but I think it's worth it. If you want to go the beach, the best one I hear is in Isla Grande. There is a bus company that takes picks you up at the hotel at 7a.m. Food is inlcuded and it is an all day trip. The cost is over $100 bucks a person.

Overall I enjpyed my stay because we have family there who really took us around and we were able to go through the Panama Canal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thanks so much your recent stay at our hotel and let us know your good experiences and concerns at the hotel. About the breakfast there still some deviation in the reservations systems to correct but, any misunderstanding about the breakfast we will make sure that any guest have what has being booked.

If you plan to visit Panama again please don't hesitate to contact us and we will make it right for you.

Tegucigalpa, Honduras
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We had to look for a new hotel at 11pm. We called around until we found a two night available room at Tryp. Arriving at that hour is never a good idea, although the bar was still open, there was no bell boy to help us with our load and well, the receptionist was not the most friendly men I've met. Once, we arrived at the room in the 9th floor* the view was amazing, you could see the city. The room was clean, the pillows fluffed, linens clean, bathroom fully equipped with the essentials and big enough. The hotel seems to be new, so, infrastructure, decor, appliques are very modern hoping you won't need anything. You will even find the newspaper outside everyday.
On the AS floor, you will find the pool, is quite small, but you will never see a lot of people in it, and the Jacuzzi is as well small but they are both very clean. There is a bar around the pool area that closes around 10pm. On that same floor you will find the gym, which has all the basics and a semi-spa. Definitely, the hotel has a lot of commodities that you will need.
The price does not usually includes the breakfast, but in case you do take it, its a buffet-style breakfast. Its a combination of panamenian food and american. There is not a lot to choose from, but it has a different rage of options. The food was a little tasteless, so if you don't opt for the breakfast, you won't be missing much.

I didn't want to leave the hotel, it really filled in the basics, it has a great location, you can find restaurants, pharmacies, stores, withing a walking distance, there are always cabs and its close to bars and nightclubs. My once complain I guess, is the lack of empathy or interest from the staff who give it a very cold vibe to the hotel and the fact that around 11am someone will come knocking at your door saying... CHECKOUT...I found it very rude. Despite that I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

On behalf of our entire staff I will like to thank you for your comments and visit to our hotel. It is good to know that you had a good experience but the check out. I have informed our Rooms Manager to pay attention at the check out procedures in order to avoid any situation like the one you had when our housekeeper knocked your door prior to check out time. I will make sure that does not happened again..

Hope you can visit us again...

Warmest Regards
Bath, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We spent one day in Panama city at this hotel prior to a sailing cruise on windstar through the panama canal. The hotel is quite new and fine rooms. There were several restaurants in the area and a small market at the corner. I would not recommend Panama city as a tourist destination myself, but it getting a LOT of high rise hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose C, General Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest

On Behalf of our entire staff we would like to thank you for your visit, hoping that you can visit us one more time and let us meet or exceed your expectations.

Thank You!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

This is an overall nice hotel. Lobby and restaurant are well maintained, the room was spacious and very clean. Comfortable beds and nice linens, and a good location in El Cangrejo. The biggest problem I had was the front desk lady was really inexperienced. Check in was slow. Then when I got to the room, there was no hot water. I told her about this, and she said she'd fix it. An hour later, I called and she said the water was fixed. It wasn't. Then another hour later (after me calling 3 times), she sent the barman to verify I was telling the truth, that there was in fact no hot water. Not a maintenance guy to fix it, just someone who came up, turned on the shower, and said yep, no hot water. I guess she thought I was lying?? In the end, they couldn't fix it, and I had a room with no hot water. Also, I asked the same lady for a 4:45 Wake up call, and I didn't receive it. Luckily, I set my phone alarm or I would've missed my flight! The manager (Oscar) was very nice and apologized and gave me a discount. The front desk lady was very polite, but I got the feeling she wasn't telling me the truth and was just trying to get rid of me. Overall, I'd give this hotel another try next time I'm in town because I hope it wasn't normal what happened to me.

• Stayed January 2013
Jose C, Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank for address this situation to us. I will address this situation with our Room Manager and Maintenance Manager in order to evaluate why it happened and why it was not immediately solved. It is not acceptable that your problem was not made over for you in a appropriate time.

Please don't hesitate to contact us directly when you visit Panama again I will be more than glad for me to help you with your needs and stay...On behalf of our staff thank you for your comments and I will work diligently to work over this concerns.
Sao Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is really good. It's new so infrastructure is really good and it's really clean. Location is also awesome as you can easily wak to restaurants, shops, casinos, etc., even at night.

The hotel could be perfect if they just improved the frontdesk staff. I had read another reviews complaining about the same but I only realized after going there. During my stay I only saw two people at the frontdesk: a clearly incompetent man and a very bad mood woman. Whenever I asked for something, the result was that I could not get it at all or that they looked at me as if I was disturbing them.

Breakfast should be improved too. It's not that bad, but it's no worth is price, not even close.

Another point to review is that I was awaken everyday at 8 am by the housekeeping staff just to see when I was leaving the room (even when, after the first day, I asked to don't do that).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony to the street
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Jose C, General Manager at TRYP Panama Centro, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your comments and letting us know about your experience at the hotel. Our Front Desk staff is almost new and we are training then on a daily bases in order to improve this situation appropriately so no guest can experience this feeling about not being help full to them. As an international brand we care about every customer that visit our properties and it is our goal that every staff be train in our hotel philosophy and customer care standards.

On behalf of our staff we will like to thank you and hope we can see you again and let us make it right for you..

Regards
Homestead, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

I had made a reservation online for my friend and I as I always stay at Tryp hotels in Spain and have stayed at the Tryp Iguatemi in Saõ Paulo and I just love the hotel concept. Well when we arrived the front office manager was there and it great spirits and helped us check in. When we got up to the room there was only one king bed when I had made a reservation for two queen beds as I could not sleep in the same bed as my friend. We went back down to the lobby and the manager apologized and rebooked us in a new room but informed us that the mirror in the bathroom had fallen off the wall and broke. I told him that was not a problem. However when we got up to the room it was filthy it had not been cleaned and there was garbage everywhere and it reeked of cigarettes. At this point I was furious and also exhausted from traveling. Well we went back down and I expresses my dissatisfaction. The manager very nicely informed me that he could book is at a sister property down the street and he did and they also comped us a nice dinner and breakfast the next day. So after all the hassle they made up for it in the end and I was very gracious. Thank you!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest

Please apologize us for this inconvenient. I hope you let us make it over for you in the near future or next time you visit Panama. It is no normal and part of our operation standard that something like this happen.

I will look over this situation about not getting the room you booked in order to adjust our operation appropriately.

Been to TRYP Panama Centro? Share your experiences!