“Fantastic dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Calle Uruguay | en frente de Ligne Roset, Panama City 00507, Panama
Improve this listing
Ranked #45 of 475 restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean, Brasserie, Café
Description: A European French styled restaurant- bar- terrace, a very upscale nice place for an international crowd. 55 seats inside, 24 seats on the terrace for lunch, tea & drinks and dinner. Open from Monday till Saturday from 11pm to 3pm and from 7pm to 11pm. The menu does have French & Mediteranean classics with daily fresh "honest" food for reasonable prices, a very smart bar and a Paris styled terrace.
San Luis, Costa Rica
“Fantastic dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I went to this cafe with with 3 friends on a Wednesday night. It was jazz night, and the music was fantastic. From my experience, table service in Panama City is not very good, but the service we received here was exceptional. We split a bottle of wine, and not once did someone's glass go empty before the waitress was there to top one off. The food was delicious. I had a specialty hamburger with Roquefort cheese, though it wasn't cooked quite as I specified when ordering. The atmosphere was quite "chic" with low lighting and unique ambiance. The overall experience was great, and I think the other people in my party shared the same sentiment.

Visited February 2013
roeland b, Owner at Cafe Chic, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for all those compliments!! It's great you had a good time with us at Café Chic!
Yes Wednesday night was a very good ambiance with the Arturo Villarreal Trio.......we are very happy to know that you liked the service and the quality of our food. Enjoy your days in Panama
and hope to see you soon again.

87% Recommend
Panama City, Panama
“Great Place, Great Food, Great Music”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Went with my wife for the third time last Wednesday. This time they had a great trio playing good relaxing jazz. The place is very clean, and the owner being European, has decorated the place with a very pleasant Parisian atmosphere. The tables are well placed around the restaurant with with plenty of space between them. The staff knows how to treat their customers and they are always paying attention to what the clients need. The food was perfect. Great quality, with proper portions and very reasonable priced for what you are getting. I personally recommend the shrimp croquettes. I will be back many times, specially on Wednesdays, so I can enjoy great food with a bottle of good wine and a great band. I totally recommend it

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
roeland b, Owner at Cafe Chic, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thanks for all these great compliments! It shows that you really like the place! Yes we are happy and proud that our efforts are paying of , that people like you notice all these details. The Arturo Villarreal Trio is now playing every Wednesday with soft classic Jazz and Bossa Nova. People are having a great time and keep on coming back. We are happy you like the décor, our intention was to bring an urban, clean European feeling to Panama and and serve quality, fresh , classic French food and for very reasonable prices. It is very rewarding for us that you recognize all these details
and it helps us to improve even more with a great motivated staff!

Thank you once again and look forward to see you again next Wednesday with more Jazz & Bossa!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“A nice surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was looking for a restaurant near my hotel and I found the comments on the Café Chic. I hesitated to go because of a negative review, but I was pleasently surprised by this restaurant. I really had a great time, the food was very nice and tasty. I had the paté the campagne as a starter, steak frites bernaise and a chocolat mousse ! The staff was very nice, the place confortable with nice people and the bill I paid was very reasonable ! this as exactly what I was looking for. I suppose that the bad review was a mistake and not for this great restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
roeland b, Owner at Cafe Chic, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thanks you so much for your great feedback! We remember you very well, while you were waiting
at the bar for your table. We are very pleased to know that you had a great time with us and that you surely can rely on the ranking of Tripadvisor. We too think that the negative review was "a mistaken identity" and not for Café Chic. Anyway you got exactly what you wanted and what you were looking for, the quality of our daily fresh honest food, the good and friendly service in a nice comfortable European setting.

Hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Panama!

Soulful regards,

Boston
“A gem; still off the radar of the travel books”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

All four members of our party (including two finicky kids) ordered different things, and all four dinners were flawless. So was my mojito. The room was simple, charming, and the service was very good. I cannot find fault with a thing, though I am puzzled why the place was so empty despite its obvious quality and the strong reviews on TripAdvisor. Perhaps things don't get going until later in the evening?

Visited February 2013
roeland b, Owner at Cafe Chic, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review! We are very pleased that your party had a good time at our restaurant and the compliments for the food and service are very welcome! It's great to hear that you were all 100% satisfied, this encourages us to continue to improve our quality and make Café Chic a must for nice people with a good taste for quality food! Yes you are right people start coming in quite late in Panama.

Hope to welcome you again any time soon!

Chicago, Illinois
“So far from #1--don't trust TripAdvisor anymore”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Like another reviewer, we went to this restaurant because it showed up as #1 in Panama City, Panama on your site. Such a disappointment. The server was lovely and attentive, and the restaurant was plain but nice looking, but that was about it. The menu selections and the food were, in a word, mediocre. Menu very basic, not inventive at all, and what they had not well executed. It wasn't terrible, but when you lead people to believe it's going to be great they are going to be unhappy. Place was pretty empty so apparently the reviews are not making up for the reality. There was a following for the music, which was good but loud.

There are quite a few wonderful restaurants in Panama City. Sorry, but this wasn't close.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
roeland b, Owner at Cafe Chic, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are happy you enjoyed our service , but are very surprised with
your very negative feedback. The reason we do have a compact menu with home made French food is very simple, we live and work in Panama and if you want to serve fresh quality food all the time the basic rule is to keep it simple and believe me this is already quite a challenge!
All our sauces, soups, desserts, patés, croquettes, French Fries etc etc are home made , we have people with passion in the kitchen, we have served hundreds of happy guests in our restaurant
who enjoy the food and the live Jazz on Wednesdays, can they all be wrong?? Of course not, we respect your opinion, we always want to improve, we love our job and love to make people happy at Café Chic....if you around next time come and join us for a nice glass of chilled French Rosé
wine and look at things a more positive way! The sun is shining outside!

Roeland Biever

P.S. I love Chicago! Beautiful city, very nice people and great blues!! ( loud but nice)