“A MAGNIFICENT DINNER” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 469 restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: International
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Restaurant is situated in one of the rooms of a fully restored private mansion dating back to 1657 and is one of the very first structures built in the old fortified Spanish city. The original walls and arches are skillfully blended into a cosy dining and bar area. We have now expanded further into the old house and now offer private dining
Coral Gables, Florida, United States
“A MAGNIFICENT DINNER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This restaurant did not only satisfy the palate but it also satisfied the soul!! Its exquisite food and service made it an unforgettable evening! I could have had seconds and thirds of the ribs I ordered...D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S! The wine selection was inviting :) The desserts were OUT OF CONTROL!!! This place is definitely a KEEPER!!!

• Visited November 2012

85% Recommend
Miami, Florida
“AMAZING FOOD AND AMBIANCE!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

In reference to the negative reveiws of other trip advisor's members, I dont undersand what Grapes they went to??? The only grapes in casco viejo was AMAZING!! Not only was the food outstanding but the service was exceptional!! Being fom Miami i have experienced many restaurants and this one by far is one of my favorites!! I highly recommend this restaurant!

• Visited November 2012
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Ate at the bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

When we asked for a reservation, they told us we could only eat at the bar, which was fine. When we got there it was empty and we sat down. In a few minutes we saw a couple of girls walk in and ask if they could have a table, clearly they had just wandered in off the street. The hostess then proceeded to seat these two girls and I gave her a look like "are you kidding me?". My husband and I debated leaving for a few minutes after that shady move, but we had already had seen the menu and picked what we wanted. Delicious caipirinhas, he had the ribs, I had something I can't remember but it was very tasty whatever it was, we would go back for sure despite the odd service!

Visited October 2012
Mexico
“Fantastic Lamb !!, Great Wine, good dessert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I wanted to have something different, but couldnt make my mind. This was my first visit in Panama so I didnt know what to expect. I decided to visit tripadvisor and get some advise were to go. Im really suprise how this tripadvisor tool can actually help you make excelent choices.

The restaurant is perfect for a romantic dinner, or simply to enjoy with family and friends. The plates take a little time to get cooked , but the wait is really worth it!!!

The lamb chops are a must!!!!! I could easily give 5 point but the dessert wasnt that good. Congratulations

The place is not very big so making reservation is a good thinking. Here is the phone number 212-1882/ 6635-4014/6082-2706

• Visited October 2012
Rio de Janeiro
“Fine, but not exceptional thanks to the dimwit at the door”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I liked Grapes overall. The food was good and the wine list, though not extensive, was fairly priced.

I would definitely recommend the lamb. It was very flavorful. I would also suggest ordering the risotto as a side dish since the portions of the other side dishes may not be sufficient to balance the amount of lamb they give you (this may not be an issue for some, but lamb is a pretty rich meat). The Dulce de Leite crepes were flavorful as well.

The ambiance was nice, though I had a hard time seeing it from my terrible table. I have a feeling that PDiasFerreira and I must have encountered the same dimwit hostess.

I made a reservation for three people and, when we arrived the hostess walked us through a room full of empty, comfortable white chairs and nice tables to a tiny, wobbly, wooden table with hard seats. It was clearly for two but had been "updated" to a three-seater by way of an extra place mat thrown on. Worse yet, our table was right below the air conditioning vent and my chair was directly facing a brick wall. I kept expecting her to place a dunce cap on my head.

After sitting there freezing for 15 minutes. We pointed out one of the comfortable, empty tables that had been set for three that was empty and she said that it was for a reservation at 8 PM. Our reservation was for 8 PM and we had arrived on time. She then lamely offered me a coat. Really? I'm paying big-girl prices so I would expect a big-girl table.

My friend suggested to the hostess that they should only take reservations for three when they have a decent table. She sneered and left.

It's these details that keep places like this from moving from "good" to "exceptional".

If I ever decide to go back with three people again, I will make a reservation for four.

Visited October 2012