“Excellent Deal + Good Location + Great Breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Continental Hotel & Casino

Save Saved
You added Continental Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
Continental Hotel & Casino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Espana and Ricardo Arias Street, Panama City 05890-823, Panama   |
Ranked #36 of 108 hotels in Panama City
Irmo, South Carolina
“Excellent Deal + Good Location + Great Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel was better than expected. Friendly staff and with good attention from the time you arrived to the hotel. It includes almost all the amenities you desire in a hotel. It is located in the center of the banking district and just a few minutes away from all the places you want to visit in Panama City. The brand new metro station is right outside the hotel and it is very efficient and inexpensive way to travel to key places in the city. The room are comfortable and clean. Not luxurious but meets the needs for a pleasant stay and sleep. For the price it is the best choice so far of all the hotels I have stayed while visiting different countries. The breakfast is excellent and delicious. It includes all the American standards items for breakfast and more. Fresh local fruit juices, fruits and pastries. Nice bar area with snacks to eat. Good valet service.
I would not recommend to drive in the city. It is super crowded, people drive like maniacs and there are no street names signs in most areas. It is all guess work... Every major touristic place to visit is just a 5-10 minutes from the hotel. In conclusion I very satisfied with this selection of hotel. I recommend it! P.S. If possible booked it ahead online and include the breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Mirna C, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Continental Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Mr.Irmo:

Receive our greetings on behalf of all the employees of the Continental Hotel & Casino.

We would like to thank you for your comments, it make us feel happy to know we meet your expectations.

249 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Martinez, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

On my scale 3=meets expectations, 4=exceeds, 5=rare excellence. Based on previous experience at similar price point.
Service: Top marks to Aurelio (spelling?) in the business center. We were stranded at the airport in the wee hours in transit to Cali and our bags were missing and we speak little spanish. The next day we had intended to find the concierge to help us initiate contact with english-speaking staff at Tocumen. The concierge was absent but Aurelio jumped at the opportunity. He made call after call on our behalf and resolved with the situation resourcefully. The reception/guest services staff was very courteous and speak good english.
Value: The airline paid our bill, but I looked up a price of less than $100/night. For a major city central hotel this sure seems like a good price for a non-fleabag hotel.
Sleep quality: comfortable rooms, firm beds, good pillows. Quiet at night, but significant street noise intrudes after 6am.
Cleanliness: Rooms are very well maintained, but the 8th floor hallway smells of mildew.
Location: I don't know Panama City well, but the hotel seems centrally located. An easy walk to the water-front. Lots of conveniences close by.
Restaurant: adequate food at reasonable price. Nothing special. We ordered from the menu. Our waitress was a bit surly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mr.(s) Cameron:

Kelowna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We switched to this hotel for 3 nights as of June 21st. When initially saw it, thought much more expensive than first night price of $116. Husband insisted later only should be $75. Was skeptical as very nice with good amenities. As it turned out, was slightly below $80 on booking.com but not for our dates - was still a bit less than $90.00. Hotel couldn't directly match price, had to wait for booking.com confirmation, then price honoured. Very clean, nice bed, very nice staff and one of the best free breakfast buffets ever had. Many items, from fresh fruit to omelets and great bacon. Well located, near bus and metro. Very astonished at extremely reasonable pricing. One or 2 minor quibbles - welcome message on phone only in Spanish - English version would be nice. Pool has much larger deep area than shallow and at night - arcs of water around the edges which are hard to dodge when trying to maneuever around them. Made the mistake of plunging into deep end and was panicked briefly trying to get to shallower water. No ledge to hold onto except upper edge of pool. Also AC sound - not sure if from building very close by - quite loud. Other than these small points, just great and would definitely stay again. Also has casino and husband won a small jackpot after only being in there a very short time! Sure helped trip budget.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr.(s) Renoir:

We would like to thank you for your comments, we are glad to know we could meet your expectations.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed at the hotel in June 2014. Hotel is in a good location. Very kind and helpful staff in every part of the hotel. I was visiting a friend near Panama City and had the hotel booked for our two nights that we would be in the city. After we parted ways later in the week, I decided to stay at the hotel for the remaining two nights I was in Panama. Everything from the food, drinks, customer service, pool, and casino were great. Will stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Mr. Tyler:

We would like to thank you for your comments, we are glad to know we meet your expectations.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed at this hotel in June 2014. I am a frequent business traveler who stays at some of the best hotels in North America. I can say without reservation that the service and personal attention given to me at the Centennial Hotel & Casino was the best I have ever experienced. The customer services ladies, Ruth and Mirna, paid attention and looked after every issue and request above expectations. All employees I interacted with from the front desk, restaurant, lounge, bell men, business centre, were exceptionally friendly, helpful and patient. In my opinion, they always went the “extra mile” to make sure that my stay was trouble-free and enjoyable. Hotel “rules” and “policies” did not seem to get in the way of working things out so that my comfort and convenience was as good as possible, including a early 4:30 am check-in after all night travel. As well, the property is in a great central location close to the metro. The facilities, especially the pool and hot-tub, are excellent. The daily breakfast is outstanding in quality and selection. I would always chose to stay at this hotel on any future trips to Panama City and I whole-heartily recommend it to other travelers to that city. Check out the hotel’s website. Many other Panama hotel websites give a great impression but the reality is much worse. What you see on Continental’s website is as it really is PLUS exceptional service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Mirna C, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Continental Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest G P:

Receive warm greetings on behalf of all employees of the Continental Hotel & Casino.

We thank you so much for your comments about our services and really appreciate the time you took to write your opinion.

there are no words to express our satisfaction to know that we made you feel at home.

Hope to see you again,

sincerely,

Playa Coronado, Panama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

AT the last minute our conference was changed from one venue to the Continental Hotel & Casino on Via Espana and Ricardo Arias Street in Panama City. When I called to make the reservation, I emphasized that there was 2 of us and we needed a King bed room. When we arrived very early in the morning to attend the meeting, we left our bags with the front desk and said we would check in later. When we did check in in the early evening, we were taken to our room with 2 double beds. I called the desk and they responded about 15 minutes later that they had secured a king bed room for us. We were taken from the new section of the hotel to the original part of the hotel on the 2nd floor and were disappointed with the room's condition. It was very dated and the furniture had seen better days. The sheets on the king bed were too small for the mattress which did not have a mattress pad on it. The bathroom was not very clean and the shower didn't drain very fast. It was street noisy and the internet was slow and cumbersome. By this time, we just wanted to get settled and had no plans to spend any time in the room. We then went to the bar for a drink before dinner and I ordered a martini half and half. When served, it was very strong with the vodka. They informed me that they had run out of vermouth, but would have a new bottle in about 15 minutes. Little did I know that the manager had to go to the store for the vermouth and when he returned, was very proudly displaying a new bottle of vermouth!
My experience here is that the staff are so very willing to please, but the property itself is very dated. It is part of the Rui hotel chain so I hope they will be doing some upgrading soon because they do have good staff and that goes a long way in this country.

Room Tip: Take a tour of the available rooms and find one that you would stay in.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mr(s) Da Penguin:

Receive warm greetings on Behalf of Mr. Arthur Brown, General Manager of Continental Hotel & Casino. We will like to thank you for your comments, it Helps us to Improve our services.

We are pleased to know that you felt good with our staff attitude . I would also like to inform you that our hotel, will soon be starting a remodeling program that will allow us to offer a modern and comfortable facilities.

We hope to host you again.

Best Regards,

Indian Head Park, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Hotel is centrally located. Rooms are average and pretty big but could use a major facelift. Bellmen staff & service was excellent, especially Samir. A few issues tainted the trip. I came back to my room one evening around 8:30 and found I had no water . Called the front desk and was told they were making repairs on the room next to mine. Inquired when it would be back on and was told in a few minutes. They were true to their word and it was restored after I went to the room and spoke with the guest in that room. One of my traveling companion's towels were not replaced each day.
Restaurant food was a good value. Luisa at the bar was very friendly and accommodating. We ate breakfast our last morning there and asked for menus. We were only given one and the smiling waitress told us there were no more menus. We chalked it up to a language barrier. When one of my friends mentioned it to the customer service manager (who happened to inquire about the service) we could see the manager reprimanding the poor waitress. Felt badly for her especially since it appeared she was not allowed to continue to service us and was replaced with a rather surly server who picked up our tips before we left the table. I sought out the original waitress and made sure she received a tip.
Would I stay there again? Probably not. But since it was my first time in Panama I don't have much to compare it to.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Mrs. Fifi Ree:

Receive warm greetings on behalf of Mr. Arthur Brown, General Manager of Continental Hotel & Casino. We will like to thank you for your comments, it helps us to improve our services.

We have spoke with the managers of the areas you have mentioned, to be sure you, that they will strengthen the sequence of their services. Our main goal is to provide our guests a pleasurable experience.

We expect to have the opportunity to host you again in our hotel.

Customer Service Manager

Been to Continental Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!