“3.5 stars. OK choice but rooms are noisy.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Panama

You added Crowne Plaza Panama to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Panama
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave Manuel Espinoza Batista, Panama City 816-2007, Panama   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #38 of 112 Hotels in Panama City
Jersey City
“3.5 stars. OK choice but rooms are noisy.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

The Good: Clean, safe and secure. Great service from front desk staff and bellhops. Good sized rooms with comfortable beds. Located in a safe and busy area with several hotels, casinos, shopping, and restaurants within walking distance.

The Bad: Hotel is fairly dead compared to others in the area which obviously had more guests and better a vibe overall. Small, un-inviting restaurant and bar. Hotel lacked personality. Noisy rooms on road side of hotel and I could hear everything the people in the room next to me were saying (although earplugs that they put in the rooms help).

The Ugly: Wireless Internet service is a rip-off. Spotty coverage and so slow it was a complete waste of money. Don't even bother.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
paris
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

I spent two days in Panama for leisure, on the way back from a business trip. I had booked a room in the Crowne Plaza because I was looking for a hotel with a free shuttle from the airport, with internet and a swimming pool, and that would be centrally located. I was thoroughly disappointed. Although I had been told on the phone that there would be a shuttle, when I arrived at the airport no shuttle was to be seen. I had to pay for a taxi although that was exactly what I had meant to avoid in the first place. Next thing I find out is that the internet does not work, although I've paid 15 USD for it. When calling the reception, I'm told (in an unapologetic way) that it only works on certain floors (so, if you intend to use the internet don't take a room on the 11th floor). The swimming pool is tiny and you can't swim in there. Ironically, the hotel next door (Hotel El Panama) has a huge beautiful pool that you can see from the Crowne Plaza, with nice tables and chairs around it so you can enjoy breakfast and dinner at the pool (while the Crown Plaza restaurant hasn't got a single window). Finally, I wonder why Crowne Plaza Panama, located in a tropical region with a lot of rainfall and water resources, needs to choose "Evian" and "Fiji", imported from other continents, as its mineral water. This is not very environmentally friendly. Finally, if you're looking for a "cozy" hotel, this isn't what you're looking for. The rooms are tiled and breathe a cold atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Panama on two occasions in November. I stayed here for one night both times.

The beds are very, very comfortable. The rooms are modern, although internet cost $41 for 72 hrs. Things are extremely quiet around the hotel -- and I was occupying a room during the independence parade that was right on the Via Espana!

I was greeted to the Crowne Plaza by a bell-boy who helped me settle an issue with a taxi driver who was trying to overcharge me.

The rooms, although non-smoking, still faintly smell like smoke. Also: if you are interested in the SleepAdvantage program, you may have to ask the front desk. Both rooms I occupied did not have any of the SleepAdvantage features.

Decor wise, the hotel is very much more Holiday Inn than Hilton. It is comfortable, but sterile and very bland. The pool area is kind of depressing.

However, the location is absolutely perfect and the service is typical of any three-star hotel in the US.

The breakfast buffet is also very good.

• Liked — the comfortable beds and quiet, unassuming service
  • Disliked — the smell of smoke, the blandness of the property
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ormond Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

WE stayed one night upon arrival in Panama & one night prior to leaving. I upgraded our package trip to stay in the Crown Plaza because I think of them as a deluxe hotel. This was just average. The room was clean but nothing special. Most of the staff was very helpful but we received a call late on the last night saying we owed money for a phone call which we did not make & the lady kept arguing with me. It was cleared up the next morning at reception but was an annoyance. We had to leave the hotel at 4:30AM for our flight & the staff got us a boxed breakfast to take with us which I thought was very nice.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing special
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

we have just return from 5 days at Crown Plaza. check-in was really fast and people of staff were very helpful and nice. the rooms are nice, clean and very comfortable. breakfast is delicious and the service at the restaurant is excelent.
The only thing I didn't like is the non-smoking policy, you have to go outside to smoke because is not allowed inside the hotel, I think they should have some smoking rooms.
our experience at the hotel was wonderful, I'd stay there again without a doubt.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — non-smoking policy
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

The Crowne Plaza in Panama was my home away from home when I brought 8 very experienced travelers to Panama City for the first time. Hotel staff was nice, knowledgeable. Rooms well appointed, clean, comfortable- if traffic noise is an issue, please ask for a room on the back side. Location within walking distance of 3 casinos, several local area restaurants, mini marts, grocery stores, cigar shops, you name it. By car you are close to most areas of Panama. The breakfast included in the morning was good, lots to select from, best fresh fruit in the world is in Panama. There is internet access, you have to pay a small fee. Overall the hotel experience was no hassle, comfortable, clean, I would recommend for a business travel or someone vacationing in Panama.

• Liked — Great location, hotel took good care of the group - friendly staff
  • Disliked — If traffic noise bothers you, ask for a room on the back side of hotel
  • Stayed March 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mstangy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

The Crown Plaza Hotel leaves a lot to be desired. It was given a good review in Frommer's Panama, but it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. It actually has potential, but is very badly managed. They are NOT able to accommodate a non-smoker. I requested a non-smoking room upon booking and was told no problem. The hotel basically takes a smoking room and cleans it and says its okay. I asked to be switched to a room that did not smell like an ashtray and finally, we had success. About two hours after we were in the room, it was time to take showers and get ready for our dinner reservation. All I can say is this:
The shower did not work. It took the maintenance worker 45 min. to figure out that he couldn't fix it so another room switch. This room only had a hole in the bathroom wall about 7"x2" where the vent was so that was a lot of fun. Room service was ordered, but never delivered. When the room was made up, no coffee, no shampoo, no towels. But, she did make the bed. Do NOT stay here! You will be sorry.

Been to Crowne Plaza Panama? Share your experiences!