I will start by applauding the staff of this property. Every single member of staff I came into contact with was top notch. They are friendly and helpful, and anxious to assist. If I was only rating the staff, they would get five stars. But, overall, I give this property just an average rating.
The property has been renovated recently so cosmetically, all looks good. The hallway on my floor was very wide and well-lit, which is a nice change for a hotel. However, everything from the hallway to the guest room is tiled floor. In theory, this seems like a great way to keep things clean; however, sound travels with all that tile. Guest room doors slam closed at all hours of the night which will rattle even the sound sleepers. It's nearly impossible to close these doors quietly.
The room had a mini fridge, which was nice, but it was largely filled with stuff for sale. There was enough room to squeeze a couple items in though.
The room is equiped with a "green" system that only turns the power on in the room when you insert your room key into a slot near the door. This was great from a "green" perspective, but it was a little annoying to come back in after a long, hot day of sightseeing to a room with stale hot air. Though, the system seemed to recover quickly enough.
Speaking of the air conditioning, this was my biggest complaint about the room. As it turned on and off, it made a loud clunking noise that woke me up throughout the night. Loud AC systems in hotels is one of my pet peeves, and I often just turn it off to avoid the noise. However, that's just not possible in Panama this time of year, or probably any time of year for that matter. It's just too hot! So, I found myself sleeping with a pillow over my head to drown out the noise.
Other noise issue- the church bells. If you read other reviews, you will see this over and over again. It's no joke. They ring to call to church at 6:00 a.m. and to dismiss at 7:00 a.m. Same thing in the evening. We asked for a room not facing the church, but ended up with one facing the church.
Next complaint--no hot water. I tried showering both in morning and evening with no luck. I would turn the water all the way to hot and still only ever have either cold or barely luke warm water. This is another one of my pet peeves with hotels though. I like a hot shower, not luke warm.
The fitness room was disappointing. Equipment did not work properly, and even if you started out OK, the equipment almost always quit working before the workout was complete.
Wifi was expensive and spotty. Sometimes the connection was fine and I was able to Skype with my husband without issue. Other times, I had to connect and re-connect many times which made Skype impossible and even checking email annoying.
Breakfast was good in the restaurant. I was a big fan of the coffee, something that I don't normally drink. I also had dinner one night and went with a tropical seabass that was delicious.
Location was OK for me, but it depends where you want to be closest too. So before you pick any hotel in Panama City, figure out where you want to visit and find a good hotel closest to those areas. Transportation is a nightmare in Panama City.
Lastly, I will just mention that the transportation arrangements made through the hotel were excellent. Drivers were courteous and safe. You will pay 3-5 times more than what you would pay a yellow cab off the street, but if you are even a little antsy with crazy drivers, pay the money for the VIP transportation. Trust me! People drive like maniacs in Panama City!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As you walk into the marble-floored lobby with grand columns and modern furnishings, you'll be greeted by the warm, welcoming staff of our Crowne Plaza(R) Panama hotel. And, if you're seeking hotels near the Panama Canal or near the banking area, we're just minutes from both destinations. Ideal for corporate travelers, our accommodations include a Business Center with personal computers and copy, print and fax capabilities. We have five banquet rooms, which can host parties of 200, and perks like Daily Meeting Debriefs by a dedicated Crowne Meetings Director, making us "The Place to Meet" in Panama City, Panama. When our hotel's guests choose to stay with us, they are only a few miles from first-class restaurants, nice casinos and great shopping. Pick up souvenirs from the Multiplaza Shopping Center and Albrook Mall, walk down to Casco Viejo, the historic sector of the city, or catch a performance at the National Theater. In addition, guests need travel only two miles from our hotel's location to reach the Panama Canal. After a long day of touring Panama City, Panama, our hotel's facilities can help you relax. Enjoy a traditional dish at our on-site restaurant, La Galeria, then grab a nightcap at the Memories Sports Bar & Lounge. With a Fitness Center, outdoor pool and the Crowne Plaza Sleep Advantage(R) Program, we have everything you need to stay comfortable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Crowne Plaza Panama reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Panama Hotel Panama City
- Crowne Plaza Panama City
- Panama City Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza Panama Panama City