“good location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 111 Hotels in Panama City
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
“good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I went on a 2 day business trip in March and the hotel was comfortable, rooms were air conditioned the cabana pool side was quite comfortable and modern. The grounds seemed a bit dated, but a partial reno has ben done. from the street coming in the hotel did not look impressive but the lobby and bar are nice. There was a summit or convention going on so it was quite busy and crowded so service was not great, but most likely due to this. overall it was good, the pool side cabanas are great rooms, and there is shopping and retaraunts right outside, great hotel for business travel.

Room Tip: Pool side Cabanas are nice and have a front door and a pool side exit via balcony
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

This hotel is built almost entirely in solid sheets of marble. We had a room on the 7th floor that was HUGE! The corridors are enormous with a lovely breeze like a wind tunnel on your way to the rooms. There are sitting areas with leather furniture at each elevator station and in the giant open air area just before the lobby. Marble floors, shower and walls. A mini-fridge, 2 double beds that were fairly comfy, desk and table with chairs. It was clean but this is an older hotel and is beginning to show it's age however it is really quite stunning. Great location with the largest mola store in Panama right across the drive (super selection and prices). An easy walk to the huge shopping district. Nice city views. There was a little noise from the World Congress Salsa dancing party but hey, it's Salsa and we were in Panama! And the return of the Casino players at 4am was lively but hey! It's Panama!
Service was Panamanian i.e. a little surly. This is typical so don't take it personally. Nice buffet breakfast with ample selections and good coffee. We had dinner outdoors by the pool; sea bass that was quite good and a fruit plate with breads we enjoyed. Our first several wine choices were not available but there were alternates.
We liked the hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Request upper floor facing the pool to dampen street noise
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Ecru, Ms
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

El Hotel Panamá location is fabulous, the location is perfect. You are right in via Espana (street) on the heart of the city with all kind of restaurants and stores. The hotel food is excellent, the service, the casino, and the people are wonderful. Very clean rooms and restaurant. I enjoyed the breakfast. The breakfast was included in the price of the room. I am not talking about Continental breakfast, I mean, super wonderful breakfast. If you don’t want to go out at night, the hotel has the casino, pool, bar, among other things. I spent two days in this hotel, I really enjoyed it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

We just got back from Panama, and stayed at the El Panama Hotel! What a mistake! The price was not cheap, and the accommodations on the eighth floor were horrible. The noise from a party that was going on the floor above us made sleeping un feasible no matter that we called front desk and asked why so much noise. The following night there was a party going on in the room next to us replete with hookers and who knows what else. Calling front desk and complaining about all the noise made no difference. Management was quick to charge us for coffee at $3.50 per small cup, and $30.00 per person for breakfast. We went to a really nice restaurant around the corner for one forth the price. I'm sure this comment will not be posted, but in the event that it is, avoid the El Panama Hotel. I was warned, but had to learn for myself!

Room Tip: Don't get a room on Eighth floor!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Wiener Neustadt, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed on April, for 3 days and we had a good time! The hotel`s room was not so new and renovated it, BUT the staff was really nice and helpful. We had good and refreshing pina coladas at the lobby and pool bar... we enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Coral Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

This hotel is not bad, but not special.

The lobby looks good and the staff is friendly.

The rooms are a little dated and uninspiring.

I had one bad experience is the hotel. I checked in and had to rush out so rather than go upstairs I left my luggage in the storage locker. I returned that night and asked for my luggage. No one could find the key and acted as if they really didn't care if got my luggage or not. It was not until I started raising my voice that the check in clerk decided to open the draw to her desk and give the bellman the key. The key was in her desk all along!! Are you kidding me!!

I know I won't be stayng here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

My whole trip to Panama was not as expected. Bad weather for almost a week, dated hotel, below everage rooms and no added value.
I cannot comment on the room as the only good thing was the size. All the rest was just acceptable and very regular.
The breakfast was good and the staff helpful.
Check in/out was slow and impersonal.
The area was ugly and really South American style (Caracas, Bogota style) When you enter the shops nobody bothers and keep ignoring you. Wanted to buy some American sport brands but backed up once I realised all the shop staff were the same! Never experienced this before anywhere else in the world.
Overall impression of the hotel: disappointed.
The pool however was nice and enjoyed it the last day only when the weather got better.
I chose this hotel just because of the price, which was lower than in other similar hotels. Now I know why!
I would not return again!

• Stayed November 2013

Been to El Panama Hotel? Share your experiences!