“Nice pool, not so nice staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Miramar Panama

You added InterContinental Miramar Panama to your Saves list
InterContinental Miramar Panama
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Balboa and Cinta Costera, Panama City 816-2007, Panama   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #35 of 111 Hotels in Panama City
New York City, New York
“Nice pool, not so nice staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at Intercontinental Miramar in February of 2013. While the hotel is fine, it's nothing special. The hotel itself is a bit shabby and run down and could use an overall renovation. However, the rooms are clean which is the most important thing in my opinion. Additionally, the hotel has only 2 elevators for 25 floors of rooms, which meant there were always long waits, and sometimes long lines for the elevators.

The pool is VERY nice, it's clean and refreshing and there are lots of chairs and umbrellas. The deck and pool are very clean and it was a nice way to pass an afternoon.

The issues I had with the hotel were related to the service at this property - I had two very bad experiences with the staff there. The first issue occurred my first night in the hotel - the parking lot next to the hotel was the host to a large contingent of people who were very loud. Playing loud music, bass was shaking my room on the 7th floor, honking horns, screaming, etc. This went on for hours and around 11pm, I called down to the front desk to try to ask a question about whether or not they knew what the noise was, whether they had any idea what it was related to or if they knew when it would end. I realized that this was not on hotel property and they couldn't control it, but I was hoping they could shed some light onto what was going on. The second I mentioned the noise outside, the person at the front desk replied "I can't control the noise outside" and hung up the phone on me. The second issue occurred by the pool - they have several staff walking around taking drink/food orders at the pool. I flagged down a waiter and asked for a strawberry daquiri. He didn't understand me and said "no English" so I tried my less than stellar Spanish with daquiri fresa. He still didn't understand and walked away. I took that to mean that he was going to either get 1) a menu or 2) a person who could speak English. After about 15 minutes, he came back by me with an order for another table and I waves him over. He just shook his head at me, said "no English" and walked away again and never came back.

I understand that not everyone speaks English and that I was in a country where the primary language is Spanish. I'm not offended that he couldn't understand me. My concern is that he didn't even try to and in a service industry, that's not what I'd expect.

I did bring these two issues up with IHG and they did promise to address it with the hotel.

Finally, the breakfast buffet was OK - it was the same every day but there was a fairly large variety of food. Nothing stellar, but not bad either. I also did a la carte for lunch, and that was good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
JoseManuelRivas, Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Miss laydenredd,

Firstly, thank you for taking your valuable time to submit your comments and reviews of your recent stay in Intercontinental Miramar Panama. I am glad to hear that the cleanliness in the public areas and especially in your room was something you really appreciated; I will let the housekeeping staff know all of this good comments, so that they know their work is noticed and appreciated not only by us but by our guests. We are pleased that you got the time to enjoy our beautiful pool and pool area, as well as a la carte menu from the restaurant Bay View, always trying to give our guests the best; I will let the restaurant staff knows how satisfied you were.

Regarding some of the issues you experienced with us during your stay, I want to extend my further apologies and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, our vision is providing the best guest experience possible, and we will take the necessary steps to continuously improve our product and services.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us, your business is valued and we look forward to making your future stays with us the best ever.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Hollywood, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

When l arrived at this hotel, l was informed that my reservation had been canceled. My company had made resos for 4 people -- 2 arriving on Sunday and 2 on Monday. l was informed that my room was canceled and the room rented to another guest because l was a 'no show' for Sunday. l explained that l was never arriving on Sunday and that we did have 2 guys arrive on Sunday. After nearly an hour of waiting and requesting to speak to the hotel mgr, l was finally told by the front desk that they had "found" me a room [...not a great room, no view, the mini-fridge didn't work, and there was no ice machine on the floor -- but at least it had a bed!]. Anyway, l thought everything was worked out, but then when l checked out the front desk charged me over $210 for the 'no show' date of Sunday!!! l was outraged and l will never stay at this hotel again! l will tell all of my colleagues not to stay there. Usually l have good service from Int'cont., but not this time! Very, very disappointed.

Room Tip: They blamed my sec'y for booking the resos online instead of thru the hotel directly [...but rea...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
JoseManuelRivas, Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate you have taken the time, to bring this matter to our attention. We’ve been investigating about this situation, and we were able to notice that your reservations were made through the webpage Google Gbr Search. It is important to inform you that our reservations department, do not take any actions in the information your company gave trough the site. We just receive the reservations already made, if there was a mistake in the arrival date, this one came from the person in charge of making the reservation in the company.

We are really sorry that the reservations were made with the wrong dates that we had to charge the No Show. In this occasion the hotel was at its full capacity, trying to meet your necessities we were able to get you a comfortable room, so that you could enjoy staying with us. We are sorry this effort didn’t meet your expectations.

Just to clarify, all of our rooms have excellent views, some of them to the Pacific ocean and the one you were in, has a view to the beautiful natural and ecological Hurraca park. About the Ice machine, we do have it in different floors of the hotel, also if you don’t feel like walking to get it, for your comfort you are more than welcome to call Instant Service 24hrs and they will bring it up to your room.

Thank you again dear guest, for taking your time to let us know your experience with us, you will always be invited to Int. Miramar in your next visit to Panama City.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The room was very simple, I am used to other Intercontinental with very cosy rooms and nice furniture, this was definitely not the case. Obviously it used to be smokers room, because we could smell it everywhere. Restaurant downstairs was very poor, stuff wasn't botherd speaking english ......hey guys wake up, not whole wolrd speak automaticaly Spanish especially not people from Central Europe . . . .. . .the menu wasn't special either, I had pasta and it was bellow average. Overall if you can, book some other place, this is not the money worth.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JoseManuelRivas, Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear costumer, we appreciate your comments and also we want to thank you for taking the time to make a review about our hotel.

Our goal is to provide high quality of goods and service. That is way much of our staff speak English.

I think it is a good opportunity let you know that our hotel is split onto sections; section A Classical Rooms and the section B Modern Rooms. We want to invite you to visit us again, so that we can offer you a room that meets the qualities that you expect.

Also, we have a full restaurant menu, apart from this we offer buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

What a surprise! Not only is Panama City a vibrant, bustling, energetic city, but the InterContinental Miramar Panama Hotel is a sophisticated and upscale facility. The rooms are well-designed, comfortable, and quiet; the amenities are high-quality, and the hotel, restaurant, and lounge service is good. Location along Panama Bay is convenient to designer shopping, local markets, and the colonial old town of Casco Viejo.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Pacific Ocean - fantastic view of the Ocean, the ships queuing for the Pan...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
JoseManuelRivas, Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear guest, we want to thank for your lovely comments about the Panama City and the Intercontinental Miramar Panma Hotel.

It´s extremely important to know, that your experience with the InterContinental Hotel Miramar was good at all.

Thank you once again and we hope to be your host in your next visit to Panama City. See you soon.
Knokke, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

The once so popular Intercontinental Miramar is in need of a total make-over. Apart from the view and the location, the hotel has not a lot to offer. The service could be a lot better. The room was clean.

Stayed February 2013
JoseManuelRivas, Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
We want to thank you for your opinion, and we will take care of any detail to be better.

Thank you once again and we hope you choose Miramar in your future travel plan to assign you in one of our newly remodeled rooms.
Jerusalem, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've stayed at the Intercontinental in other cities and it was fine, so I thought that it would be the same in Panama City. The view if good, if you like looking at 5 lane traffic in 2 directions. I was on the club floor. There is no bathtub, the thermostat for the air conditioning was non-functioning (either on or off, no temperature control), the shallow sink didn't have a stopper so I couldn't wash my clothes. There was only one bathrobe in a room for 2 people, and it took 3 phone calls to the "instant service" holine to get another one. The scale in the bathroom didn't work. It took another 3 phone calls to make it operational. The hotel has its own overpriced car service and doesn't allow regular taxis to enter its driveway to take passengers, so we had to go out on the highway to get our own taxi. The hotel service charges $25 for a $10 taxi ride. The staff is mostly unresponsive to these issues. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JoseManuelRivas, Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear customer, we appreciate you taking part of your valuable time to write about your experience at our hotel, it's a shame that we have not exceeded your expectations, however, I would like to inform you that we do have rooms with bathtub and I remember very well that you requested us complimentary breakfast in your rate prior your arrival and we did it, but we did not received a request for a room with a bathtub.

Furthermore, I offer you my sincere apologies for any dissatisfaction that you might have experienced in our hotel.

Regarding the taxi service at the hotel, we recommend the tourism taxi services because they are safer than yellow taxis, it is not mandatory that our guests have to use the tourism taxi service. The yellow street taxis work 24 hours and can be used by any person, the only suggestion that we make is that these taxis will be taken at your own risk and the hotel does not accept any responsibility.

We know you have many options to stay in Panama, but we would like you to stay with us again, to show that we can do it better.
new york, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I have stayed at the Miramar a number of times over the past few years I have traveled to Panama City, and I must say after these new renovations (new swanky lobby bar), the removal of the executive floor pool, and the somewhat new staff it is no longer a place of choice. There were too many inconsistencies that no one there could really help with, and when we checked out there were erroneous charges on the bill. It has been over two weeks and we have still not yet received our credit for the additional charges that were incorrect on the bill. I would rather be down in Casco Viejo (San Felipe) and deal with smaller bed and breakfast businesses than a bigger hotel that cannot accommodate accordingly.

Room Tip: The higher floors (about 18 and above I think) are renovated and modern, below that they are not.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
JoseManuelRivas, Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear guest, we greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention.

Our goal is to provide high quality of goods and services, our hotel has the biggest and beautiful pool of the lodging industry in Panama, as you said we have new staff in front office but they are friendly and helpful as have been mentioned in others review. Regarding your concern about the erroneous charges on your bill please email me at jrivas@miramarpanama.com and I will resolve this shortly.

Thank you once again, and we hope you will continue to choose Intercontinental Miramar for your future travel needs.

Been to InterContinental Miramar Panama? Share your experiences!