“Panama City Surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Miramar Panama

You added InterContinental Miramar Panama to your Saves list
InterContinental Miramar Panama
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Balboa and Cinta Costera, Panama City 816-2007, Panama   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #35 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Panama City Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

What a surprise! Not only is Panama City a vibrant, bustling, energetic city, but the InterContinental Miramar Panama Hotel is a sophisticated and upscale facility. The rooms are well-designed, comfortable, and quiet; the amenities are high-quality, and the hotel, restaurant, and lounge service is good. Location along Panama Bay is convenient to designer shopping, local markets, and the colonial old town of Casco Viejo.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Pacific Ocean - fantastic view of the Ocean, the ships queuing for the Pan...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
JoseManuelRivas, Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear guest, we want to thank for your lovely comments about the Panama City and the Intercontinental Miramar Panma Hotel.

It´s extremely important to know, that your experience with the InterContinental Hotel Miramar was good at all.

Thank you once again and we hope to be your host in your next visit to Panama City. See you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Knokke, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

The once so popular Intercontinental Miramar is in need of a total make-over. Apart from the view and the location, the hotel has not a lot to offer. The service could be a lot better. The room was clean.

Stayed February 2013
JoseManuelRivas, Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
We want to thank you for your opinion, and we will take care of any detail to be better.

Thank you once again and we hope you choose Miramar in your future travel plan to assign you in one of our newly remodeled rooms.
Jerusalem, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've stayed at the Intercontinental in other cities and it was fine, so I thought that it would be the same in Panama City. The view if good, if you like looking at 5 lane traffic in 2 directions. I was on the club floor. There is no bathtub, the thermostat for the air conditioning was non-functioning (either on or off, no temperature control), the shallow sink didn't have a stopper so I couldn't wash my clothes. There was only one bathrobe in a room for 2 people, and it took 3 phone calls to the "instant service" holine to get another one. The scale in the bathroom didn't work. It took another 3 phone calls to make it operational. The hotel has its own overpriced car service and doesn't allow regular taxis to enter its driveway to take passengers, so we had to go out on the highway to get our own taxi. The hotel service charges $25 for a $10 taxi ride. The staff is mostly unresponsive to these issues. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JoseManuelRivas, Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear customer, we appreciate you taking part of your valuable time to write about your experience at our hotel, it's a shame that we have not exceeded your expectations, however, I would like to inform you that we do have rooms with bathtub and I remember very well that you requested us complimentary breakfast in your rate prior your arrival and we did it, but we did not received a request for a room with a bathtub.

Furthermore, I offer you my sincere apologies for any dissatisfaction that you might have experienced in our hotel.

Regarding the taxi service at the hotel, we recommend the tourism taxi services because they are safer than yellow taxis, it is not mandatory that our guests have to use the tourism taxi service. The yellow street taxis work 24 hours and can be used by any person, the only suggestion that we make is that these taxis will be taken at your own risk and the hotel does not accept any responsibility.

We know you have many options to stay in Panama, but we would like you to stay with us again, to show that we can do it better.
new york, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I have stayed at the Miramar a number of times over the past few years I have traveled to Panama City, and I must say after these new renovations (new swanky lobby bar), the removal of the executive floor pool, and the somewhat new staff it is no longer a place of choice. There were too many inconsistencies that no one there could really help with, and when we checked out there were erroneous charges on the bill. It has been over two weeks and we have still not yet received our credit for the additional charges that were incorrect on the bill. I would rather be down in Casco Viejo (San Felipe) and deal with smaller bed and breakfast businesses than a bigger hotel that cannot accommodate accordingly.

Room Tip: The higher floors (about 18 and above I think) are renovated and modern, below that they are not.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
JoseManuelRivas, Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear guest, we greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention.

Our goal is to provide high quality of goods and services, our hotel has the biggest and beautiful pool of the lodging industry in Panama, as you said we have new staff in front office but they are friendly and helpful as have been mentioned in others review. Regarding your concern about the erroneous charges on your bill please email me at jrivas@miramarpanama.com and I will resolve this shortly.

Thank you once again, and we hope you will continue to choose Intercontinental Miramar for your future travel needs.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in February 2013. The hotel is clean and modern and the staff were very helpful. I really liked the pool and the view it offered of some of the skyscrapers in the city. The breakfast and dinner buffets were good and was happy with the choices that were offered. The only drawback - the service at the pool bar/snack bar was very poor and the staff hardly spoke any English. I found the location of the hotel ideal as everything seemed to be a 10 minute cab ride away or sometimes even a long walk.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest I am pleased that your expectations were met during your stay in our hotel. I want to thank you for the time that you have taken to tell us about your satisfaction with the pool side, the food offer in our hotel and the staff helpfulness.

Many thank you for your important comments and we hope to see you soon.
Guatemala City, Guatemala
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Normally I stay at Starwood or Marriott properties so I thought I'd give this one a try for a change. Wish now that I had not bothered. On the plus side the location is really nice, and the beds are comfortable, pool looked big but i didnt have time to enjoy it as i was in Panama on business. But the negatives are numerous. First of all at check in I had to ask to change rooms because the first one I found a bed that was literally sagging half a foot lower on one side than the other, like someone very heavy had slept on one side. They gave me the room next door which had two beds but since the hotel was supposedly full I felt forced to accept it. Next thing was the room was grimy, old rickety furniture and dirt and wear and tear in all corners, on the tub, doors, etc. rather unlike the beautiful photos on the website. Perhaps a premium room is nicer but shouldn't all rooms be at least of minimum standards? I couldnt even do an express check out on the tv! Another problem is they really need to update their information in the hotel guide. It says that there is a gift shop right off the lobby but when I went in search of it, it was nowhere to be found. As I was looking around I came across the gym and despite that it was still open the girl at the counter quickly informed me that the 'snack bar' (which appears to sell cold and hot drinks) was closed. So now I was forced to pay for a 5 dollar bottle of water. Also when I went to ask the bar staff if they knew where the gift shop was the woman looked at me blankly and mumbled a vague no. This seemed to be the general reaction of most of the staff when I asked almost anything. They seem to have very little knowledge, don't offer to help and have an indifferent attitude, at best. As mentioned by almost everyone else, the elevators are ridiculously slow and often when they do arrive, are so full that you need to wait for another. This is to go up or down. Another huge rip off and inconvenience is the lack of Wi Fi in the lobby, which forces you to not only return to your room to access it, but also to pay the hefty $15 fee. In this day and age hotels should always be providing free Internet. And yet another problem occurred with room service. I hung up one of those handy cards that allows you to pre order your breakfast and delivery the night before so that I didnt have to call in the am. Well it's a good thing I checked because at 6 am it was still hanging on my door and clearly no one bothers to go around and collect them. Had to call for room service and it took 3 tries for someone to answer the phone!
I can't understand why on earth this hotel has had any very positive reviews because from what I saw it is well below the standards of similar hotels. A property that claims to be of this caliber definitely needs to vastly improve it's service and overall image. With so many other choices for much more luxurious and high quality properties why would anyone choose this one. Save yourself the disappointment and opt for somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir, I want to thank you for your comment. We really appreciate you taken the time to let us know that we have a lot of way of opportunity and we will take it.

After all your comments, I want to invite everyone who has read this review to visit us to test our quality and service, our newly remodeled rooms, our large pool, our very privileged location and the best bar in town.

The hotel has WI FI everywhere, in rooms, lobby, bar, restaurant, public areas, at the pool, even in the parking lots. The water from the tap is potable and totally free; we have in the room two huge bottle of water in the mini bar side, dear guest it is optional if you don´t want to pay for, you can drink the water from the tap or call instant service and ask for free water.

We have not Gift Shop because of we are in the middle of most important Shopping Malls of the city, in a walking distance you can reach Multi Centro, Plaza Paitilla Mall and others.

Once again thank you for let the world know that we exist. we invite you to comeback and see if we are doing it better.
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Besides the beautiful view and outstanding facilities, the staff members at the hotel are very friendly, helpful and well-trained. My wife had to be hospitalized for several days soon after we arrived in Panama, and I cannot express my gratitude for the kind and caring front-desk staff at the Miramar. Having a medical emergency away from home is scary, made more so when one cannot speak the local language all that well. The concern shown daily by the front-desk staff for my welfare and that of my wife made me feel like the hotel was my home away from home -- and took away a lot of my anxiety. The fruit basket the hotel sent up (gratis) was also a very welcome touch and helped put me at ease. I am very grateful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, I really want to thank you because no much people can see this little thing as important as you do. We are people trying with people, in our hotel the most important make you feel important, welcome and valued.

Your comment is an important heartbeat to us. thank you once again and we hope to see you shortly.