“Not up to Intercontinental standards” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #37 of 105 hotels in Panama City
Jerusalem, Israel
“Not up to Intercontinental standards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've stayed at the Intercontinental in other cities and it was fine, so I thought that it would be the same in Panama City. The view if good, if you like looking at 5 lane traffic in 2 directions. I was on the club floor. There is no bathtub, the thermostat for the air conditioning was non-functioning (either on or off, no temperature control), the shallow sink didn't have a stopper so I couldn't wash my clothes. There was only one bathrobe in a room for 2 people, and it took 3 phone calls to the "instant service" holine to get another one. The scale in the bathroom didn't work. It took another 3 phone calls to make it operational. The hotel has its own overpriced car service and doesn't allow regular taxis to enter its driveway to take passengers, so we had to go out on the highway to get our own taxi. The hotel service charges $25 for a $10 taxi ride. The staff is mostly unresponsive to these issues. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JoseManuelRivas, Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear customer, we appreciate you taking part of your valuable time to write about your experience at our hotel, it's a shame that we have not exceeded your expectations, however, I would like to inform you that we do have rooms with bathtub and I remember very well that you requested us complimentary breakfast in your rate prior your arrival and we did it, but we did not received a request for a room with a bathtub.

Furthermore, I offer you my sincere apologies for any dissatisfaction that you might have experienced in our hotel.

Regarding the taxi service at the hotel, we recommend the tourism taxi services because they are safer than yellow taxis, it is not mandatory that our guests have to use the tourism taxi service. The yellow street taxis work 24 hours and can be used by any person, the only suggestion that we make is that these taxis will be taken at your own risk and the hotel does not accept any responsibility.

We know you have many options to stay in Panama, but we would like you to stay with us again, to show that we can do it better.

259 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
new york, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I have stayed at the Miramar a number of times over the past few years I have traveled to Panama City, and I must say after these new renovations (new swanky lobby bar), the removal of the executive floor pool, and the somewhat new staff it is no longer a place of choice. There were too many inconsistencies that no one there could really help with, and when we checked out there were erroneous charges on the bill. It has been over two weeks and we have still not yet received our credit for the additional charges that were incorrect on the bill. I would rather be down in Casco Viejo (San Felipe) and deal with smaller bed and breakfast businesses than a bigger hotel that cannot accommodate accordingly.

Room Tip: The higher floors (about 18 and above I think) are renovated and modern, below that they are not.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
JoseManuelRivas, Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear guest, we greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention.

Our goal is to provide high quality of goods and services, our hotel has the biggest and beautiful pool of the lodging industry in Panama, as you said we have new staff in front office but they are friendly and helpful as have been mentioned in others review. Regarding your concern about the erroneous charges on your bill please email me at jrivas@miramarpanama.com and I will resolve this shortly.

Thank you once again, and we hope you will continue to choose Intercontinental Miramar for your future travel needs.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in February 2013. The hotel is clean and modern and the staff were very helpful. I really liked the pool and the view it offered of some of the skyscrapers in the city. The breakfast and dinner buffets were good and was happy with the choices that were offered. The only drawback - the service at the pool bar/snack bar was very poor and the staff hardly spoke any English. I found the location of the hotel ideal as everything seemed to be a 10 minute cab ride away or sometimes even a long walk.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest I am pleased that your expectations were met during your stay in our hotel. I want to thank you for the time that you have taken to tell us about your satisfaction with the pool side, the food offer in our hotel and the staff helpfulness.

Many thank you for your important comments and we hope to see you soon.
Guatemala City, Guatemala
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Normally I stay at Starwood or Marriott properties so I thought I'd give this one a try for a change. Wish now that I had not bothered. On the plus side the location is really nice, and the beds are comfortable, pool looked big but i didnt have time to enjoy it as i was in Panama on business. But the negatives are numerous. First of all at check in I had to ask to change rooms because the first one I found a bed that was literally sagging half a foot lower on one side than the other, like someone very heavy had slept on one side. They gave me the room next door which had two beds but since the hotel was supposedly full I felt forced to accept it. Next thing was the room was grimy, old rickety furniture and dirt and wear and tear in all corners, on the tub, doors, etc. rather unlike the beautiful photos on the website. Perhaps a premium room is nicer but shouldn't all rooms be at least of minimum standards? I couldnt even do an express check out on the tv! Another problem is they really need to update their information in the hotel guide. It says that there is a gift shop right off the lobby but when I went in search of it, it was nowhere to be found. As I was looking around I came across the gym and despite that it was still open the girl at the counter quickly informed me that the 'snack bar' (which appears to sell cold and hot drinks) was closed. So now I was forced to pay for a 5 dollar bottle of water. Also when I went to ask the bar staff if they knew where the gift shop was the woman looked at me blankly and mumbled a vague no. This seemed to be the general reaction of most of the staff when I asked almost anything. They seem to have very little knowledge, don't offer to help and have an indifferent attitude, at best. As mentioned by almost everyone else, the elevators are ridiculously slow and often when they do arrive, are so full that you need to wait for another. This is to go up or down. Another huge rip off and inconvenience is the lack of Wi Fi in the lobby, which forces you to not only return to your room to access it, but also to pay the hefty $15 fee. In this day and age hotels should always be providing free Internet. And yet another problem occurred with room service. I hung up one of those handy cards that allows you to pre order your breakfast and delivery the night before so that I didnt have to call in the am. Well it's a good thing I checked because at 6 am it was still hanging on my door and clearly no one bothers to go around and collect them. Had to call for room service and it took 3 tries for someone to answer the phone!
I can't understand why on earth this hotel has had any very positive reviews because from what I saw it is well below the standards of similar hotels. A property that claims to be of this caliber definitely needs to vastly improve it's service and overall image. With so many other choices for much more luxurious and high quality properties why would anyone choose this one. Save yourself the disappointment and opt for somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir, I want to thank you for your comment. We really appreciate you taken the time to let us know that we have a lot of way of opportunity and we will take it.

After all your comments, I want to invite everyone who has read this review to visit us to test our quality and service, our newly remodeled rooms, our large pool, our very privileged location and the best bar in town.

The hotel has WI FI everywhere, in rooms, lobby, bar, restaurant, public areas, at the pool, even in the parking lots. The water from the tap is potable and totally free; we have in the room two huge bottle of water in the mini bar side, dear guest it is optional if you don´t want to pay for, you can drink the water from the tap or call instant service and ask for free water.

We have not Gift Shop because of we are in the middle of most important Shopping Malls of the city, in a walking distance you can reach Multi Centro, Plaza Paitilla Mall and others.

Once again thank you for let the world know that we exist. we invite you to comeback and see if we are doing it better.
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Besides the beautiful view and outstanding facilities, the staff members at the hotel are very friendly, helpful and well-trained. My wife had to be hospitalized for several days soon after we arrived in Panama, and I cannot express my gratitude for the kind and caring front-desk staff at the Miramar. Having a medical emergency away from home is scary, made more so when one cannot speak the local language all that well. The concern shown daily by the front-desk staff for my welfare and that of my wife made me feel like the hotel was my home away from home -- and took away a lot of my anxiety. The fruit basket the hotel sent up (gratis) was also a very welcome touch and helped put me at ease. I am very grateful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, I really want to thank you because no much people can see this little thing as important as you do. We are people trying with people, in our hotel the most important make you feel important, welcome and valued.

Your comment is an important heartbeat to us. thank you once again and we hope to see you shortly.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Location of the property is great, pool and other amenities were fine, but this is what really got to me. The knowledge of the front desk staff was awful. My boyfriend and I wanted to go to a beach one day. The front desk told us that the other Intercontinental just about a 30 minute drive away has a private beach that we could enjoy. We got in a cab, paid the guy 35 dollars and arrived at our destination, to find out that their beach was at maximum capacity and that we'd have to pay 100 dollars each to enjoy the amenities offered at that Intercontinental. The front desk at Miramar did not even bother to call and find out any other information before we left for the beach hotel, or inform us of these extra charges. It seemed like they did not want to go the extra mile to provide us good service. So not only did we waste 35 dollars for a cab to the other property, we also wasted our time. It's a good location, but there are other hotels in the area that probably provide better service and are more competent than the people that work at this Intercontinental. I guess I was just appalled by this level of service, because other Intercontinentals that I have stayed at have always been excellent.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing a review regarding your experience with the InterContinental Hotel Miramar Panama. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the quality of service may have caused you.

It is InterContinental Miramar's goal to consistently provide superior service and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

I want to let you know that our front desk staff sent you to InterContinental Playa Bonita because between both hotels there is an agreement of open door to our guests. In this case to pay the far and we paid for.

Your complain have been discussed with the InterContinental Playa Bonita management team in order to take the necessary steps to avoid other situation like this.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to comment about us. We value you as a guest and hope you will continue to choose Miramar for your future travel needs.
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

excellent location next to the ocean, with spectacular views. Rooms are large and well appointed, outside pool is delightful. Staff is friendly and helpful. Lobby is attractive, business center is sufficient, and gym and spa are quite decent. So why not five stars? Because there is often a wait for the elevators, as a result of the conventions held at the hotel.

A caution to guests at this hotel: It is situated on a large divider median of a major thoroughfare, Avenida Balboa. To cross into town, one has to walk about 200 yards to the west to get to the nearest traffic light. To cross onto the delightful walkway along the ocean, one must walk a greater distance, about 1/3rd of a mile, in either direction, to a pedestrian overpass. Do NOT try to cross by foot through the traffic, as I did, and almost got killed. A bus going at 30 - 40 mph missed me by less than a foot!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to an oceanview room, if you reserved a city view room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JoseManuelRivas, Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
I want to start thanking you for your beautiful comments.

We are very glad to know that our staff is friendly and helpful, most of all, that our property is attractive and have a spectacular view.

Our hotel is located between the most important avenues of Panama the Cinta Costera and Avenida Balboa it is why Intercontinental Miramar is unique.

Dear guest to cross into town, you have not to walk about 200 yards anymore because recently a traffic light was put behind the hotel. To cross onto the delightful walkway along the ocean, is not a problem as well, a pedestrian overpass was build beside of the hotel.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we want to invite you to visit us again. We hope to see you soon.

Been to InterContinental Miramar Panama? Share your experiences!