“Mixed feelings...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 111 Hotels in Panama City
Panama City, Panama, Panama
“Mixed feelings...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Great view, great room and so-so service. Booked through booking.com and to my initial dismay, the hotel could not find my reservation at all. Once the supervisor arrived, the issue got sorted out... However, the front desk clerk told us that our room was not available at the moment and that we would have to wait an additional 30 minutes to use the room, unless we payed an additional charge for a nicer room. Which we did, but still, horrible service. Things got much better at the check out, it seems they're still training the staff. The pool was a bit small and the view was not so good. Food not so good either, and quite expensive too.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HardRockMegapolisPA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience while staying with our Hard Rock Band at our Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis.

We take pride in extending a positive guest experience and level of service.

I truly apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay, your feedback will be used as a tool to reinforce and improve even more the service our Hard Rock Band is giving.

Hope you give us the opportunity to give you the Rock Star treatment you deserved from the beggining. Let us pamper and spoil you!

Noe V.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Polish first
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Pro's: Breakfast buffet is as amazing as everyone says it is. Pool is gorgeous, well tended, with underwater music. Very low price for a huge suite with two full size bedrooms. Some of the most comfortable pillows ever.
Con's: Kind of tacky. This seems to be the Las Vegas equivalent in Panama. The incessant music, the cheesy lounge-esque restaurant with only shareable dishes. Also, cheap toiletries and really unpleasant CFL light bulbs.
In the end, it was totally worth it because my 9 year old absolutely loved the breakfast and the pool (which happen to be adjacent to each other). I would have preferred something that seemed less crowded and cheesy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HardRockMegapolisPA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Hello SGNYC,

Our Hard Rock Band thanks you for sharing your feedback about your experience during your stay at our Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis.

We are committed to providing the highest level of service to create memorable Hard Rock experiences and lasting relationships with our guests. Thanks to comments from our guests we can reinforce and perfect our service even more.

We hope that if you comeback to Panama, you choose to stay with us and let us rock your world and be part of our show!

Greetings,
Hamburg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

They charged me 3 nights on my credit card for a 2 nights stay and dont reply on any email I've sent them. Nice hotel with most worse customer service! It started already on the check-in day that they could not find our reservation, so that we had to wait for a long time to go up to our room. It could be a good hotel if the people would be more qualified in what they are doing...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HardRockMegapolisPA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis, responded to this review, March 29, 2013

We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay and that we did not exceeded your expectations.

Please, feel free to find an email from us attached to your inbox.

Mississauga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

First time to Panama and it was a blast. Travelled March 11-18, 2013 and stayed at the Hard Rock Megapolis in Punta Paitilla.

Pros:
-beautiful views (got a free upgrade to Panama Bay ocean view with a balcony)
-joined hard rock rewards program and got late check out upon departure
-very nice room with nice bed, TV, cool shower, and large safe
-excellent variety and quality at the buffet (the lunches and dinners varied each day, while the breakfast remained the same)
-excellent bartenders with great drink skills - shout out to Frank y Edgar
-nice pool on the 12th floor with hot tubs and great views and loungers
-fantastic gym area with high quality machines - usually i wouldn't work out on vacation but did due to this amenity
-great central location - close to malls, cinta costera, etc.
-excellent business services desk
-cool music memorabilia

Cons:
-not many guests were all inclusive and we had to sign receipts for all drinks and meals which was annoying (even though we weren't charged in the end)
-maid staff did not top up daily the basic items such as shampoo (front desk rectified this quickly)
-most hotel staff did not have much English language skills, but having said that it matched my limited Spanish
-pool was very cold
-some restaurants and main nightclub not open yet
-not all bars are for all-inclusive guests

Overall Panama Comments:
-awesome weather as it is their summertime there - 30+ each day
-great history and sights in San Felipe/Casco Viejo
-2 hr ferry to Pearl Islands totally worth it
-Panama Canal - specifically Mira Flores locks were great at a very affordable price
-lots of nice malls (Multicentro was a disappointment, but Albrook and Multiplaza were good)
-love the cinta costera (bay-front promenade) and how it promotes a healthy lifestyle
-blown away by the architecture in comparison to other places i have been - a huge amount of unique banks, hotels and towers
-easy to catch taxi cabs and are reasonably priced
-very walking friendly in Panama City
-love the Duran Panamanian coffee
-felt very safe and the people are great

This was the most expensive all-inclusive trip I have been on, but Panama was well worth it. The Hard Rock and Panama City did not disappoint.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your rocking experience while staying with our Hard Rock Band at our Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis.

We take pride in extending a positive guest experience and level of service.

I very much appreciate your comments regarding our gastronomy, bartenders and our amazing Hard Rock Rewards Program Benefits.

I will share your feedback for they will be used as tools to improve even more the quality of our services.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I came on a business trip at a government rate, so I can't speak to the value, but I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. The hotel is a little cheesy, in my opinion, but it was also fun. I was amused to listen to Weezer while I ate breakfast. My room came with $20 in free drinks per night, which I thought must be a scam, but it wasn't, and I really enjoyed the opportunity to wind down at the bars. The food was excellent - both breakfast, and the pizza I ordered one nice. Prices seemed reasonable compared to the rest of Panama City (which I found to be generally very expensive). The hotel was nice, and the rooms were clean and well furnished. I loved the yoga room, which was beautiful (and never used by anyone but me). The hotel had free wifi (and good reception), which I appreciated. Overall, a very good stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hello CatM211!

We take pride in extending a positive guest experience and level of service.

I very much appreciate your comments about enjoying our amazing bars, gastronomy and our Hard Rock Suits.

Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I'm not sure if I will ever get the opportunity to go back to Panama but if I do I will be sure to stay at the Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis. I had a great time staying here. I don't want to totally discount the reviewers that have complained about certain aspects of the hotel that they didn't like. I'm sure some of their complaints are valid and they have their reasons for not having as great of an experience as I did. I just want to inform my fellow Tripadvisor readers that this hotel was great and one of the best that I have stayed. Please don't let a few negative reviews from some people steer you away from this hotel. Some of these problems would be experienced at any hotel.

I think I took advantage of pretty much every amenity while I was at the Hard Rock from March 14 to 17. Here's a summary of what I experienced. I could go on and on with good things to say but I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

Before arriving in Panama I tried to pre-arrange a shuttle through the hotel. I wasn't able to do this ahead of time but once you get through immigration and customs there is a Hard Rock kiosk at the airport that can arrange a shuttle. When I was there in March 2013, the kiosk was located to the far right once you exit customs. It is near the Banco Nacional de Panama and the HSBC ATM machine. It costs $18. This is cheaper than the taxi cabs which range from $32-$36 from what I have heard. The Hard Rock is about 20 minutes from Tocumen International Airport. It is a very quick ride and it is mostly freeway driving.

Once I got to the hotel, I was greeted by the friendly staff and the decor of the lobby was very nice and typical of the Hard Rock Hotels all over the world. The check in process was pretty easy and I ended up with a room on the 48th floor overlooking the city and partial views of the ocean. The room was very clean and fancy. The beds were comfortable and I got a great night's sleep every night. The shower and bathroom are really nice too. The shower is a rain type shower and it is very soothing.

The free Wi-Fi was helpful since I brought my computer to get some work done and research stuff about Panama during my stay. I ordered room service and the food was great. I ordered a beef wrap with fried plantains which was very tasty. Room service did not take long like some reviewers have posted. It probably took about 20-25 minutes. I also used the laundry service. I called down and they picked up my clothes in the morning and I got them back by 6pm on the same day.

The location of this hotel is one of the best aspects of this hotel because it is directly across the Multicentro Mall and Majestic Casino. Most places are just a short cab ride from the hotel. There are plenty of cabs available in front of the hotel. The cab drivers charge tourists more. I don't think there is any way around this even if you know Spanish well. They know who the tourists are. Mi espanol es no bueno pero puedo hablar just enough to get by and ask for basic things.

The pool is really nice and you can hear the music even while underwater. The Rock Spa and fitness center were good as well. The fitness center had enough equipment to get a full workout just like if you were at your home gym. The Rock Spa was relaxing but when I was there the steam room was not working properly.

All the restaurants were very good as well. The breakfast buffet is included in your hotel rate. It is pretty expansive and has everything in terms of breakfast that you would want. The lunch buffet is a bit expensive ($35) but it's worth it. There is a lot of food available for lunch as well. The pizza and tapas bar is a cool place with good food. I wish some of the other restaurants were open when I was there. I know that they will be good.

All the bars had a cool vibe to them. My favorite was the rooftop bar on the 62nd floor. It costs $22 to get in but on Saturday nights it's pretty packed with locals and tourists and was fun. Panamanians work six days a week so Saturday night is pretty big in terms of going out and having fun. The rooftop bar closed at around 3:30am. There were still a lot of people hanging around when it closed.

A few people have complained about the elevator wait time. I think this is a minor issue. If you are vacation you shouldn't worry about things like this. Secondly, if you want to stay at a "boring" hotel with not a lot going on I'm sure you can find one. The Hard Rock is a happening place and a lot of people want to stay here so there are going to be some minor delays with the elevators. Not a big deal.

Lastly, I arranged a tour to the Panama Canal and a brief city tour through the third party vendor that is based in the hotel lobby. It cost $55 and all arrangements were made for me. I just had to show up in the hotel lobby and everything was taken care of for us. It was a good tour and a must see if you are in Panama.

In conclusion, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Panama City. I can't imagine a more fun hotel to stay at and experience all that Panama has to offer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Jayrt619!

Our Hard Rock Band is so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for sharing your positive feedback and the experience you had as a Rock Star at our Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis.

We hope you plan on returning to Panama soon, and we look forward to keep on rocking your world!

cobourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

hot new hotel, but not quite ready, some of the restaurants and bars not open, staff are hit and miss, the lobby and rooms are amazing, bell guys and reception just not the quality we would expect, should be amazing in a few months

Room Tip: ask for a higher room, the first floor starts at 15! get the freed download, use the drink credit o...