“Excellent Hotel in Panama City” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Luxury from $159
Ranked #14 of 111 Hotels in Panama City
San Francisco, United States
“Excellent Hotel in Panama City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The Waldorf Panama City is an excellent place to stay. Beautiful rooms, views, great restaurants, excellent service, clean, modern, great internet, etc...The beds were super-comfortable, the bathrooms and dressing rooms were enormous. This is by far the best hotel I've stayed in, in Panama City.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

MariaVictoriaB_WA, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this review, October 20, 2014
Dear Lance K,
Thank you for allowing us to host you during your recent trip to the city. We proud ourselves in serving all our guests and providing the very best stay they can have, complimented by our wonderful amenities.
We hope we have a chance to welcome you again during your next visit to Panama and give you the same great service you expect from us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Bad experience. Had to be moved several times to new room. Air conditioning either didn't work or was so noisy, you couldn't speak on the phone or sleep. Beautiful bathtub had faucet that did not empty into tub, but instead poured water onto floor (faucet was free standing outside of tub, and totally disconnected - wish I had picture). Shower head dripped water from 1/4 of head only. Lobby had musty, un-inviting odor. Unattractive pool area with very small streak of sun. Encouraged by waiter to odor breakfast buffet (instead of off the menu) and when I went to get food from buffet, the staff was in the process of closing it down (positive - restaurant manager apologized and did not charge me for breakfast). Concierge not knowledgeable. Never received my "daily newspaper". Charged for items I never used from mini-bar. Hotel staff had argument with "private car service" that sits in front of the hotel. Mixed feedback from different employees of the hotel as to how safe it was to walk in neighborhood at night. Overall, poor experience. I would not stay there and would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

MariaVictoriaB_WA, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
Dear Pammk,
Thank you for allowing us to host you during your visit to Panama City. We are truly sorry to ready about all the mishaps during your stay. I can assure you this is not a common experience here at Waldorf Astoria Panama and hope we have a chance to welcome you again and provide you the stay you deserve.
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Where do I start with this review of the Waldorf Astoria Panama? Let’s begin with the driver that never showed up to collect me at the airport. The hotel blamed the chauffeur company of course but they weren’t too apologetic or surprised.

The service is very hit-and-miss. There were a few notable staff who stood out as beeing very helpful and courteous, you could tell they were trying hard. Then there were others who just couldn’t give a damn. One day I was queuing at the condcierge desk for map. The girl knew me as she dealt with my complaint about the car service. Rather than ask ‘can I help you?’ she picked up the phone and called her colleague at reception a few meters away to see what I wanted - afraid that I had more complaints maybe!

Look, I could write an essay on my 5-day stay at the WA but I’m going to save your time and mine by running through some points briefly:

> In-room TV hotel guest information not working (and no info folder), couldn’t be fixed by the gruff engineer who was sent up
> Noisy air-con unit actually located IN the suite, in the dressing area (see pics)
> No hot water in the whb for three days. Complained every day about it but nada, it was never fixed
> The drivers in the white cars outside the hotel are a rip-off. Download the Uber private driver app and use it for a fraction of the cost
> The pool area can get quite smelly at times, they need to pump the perfume from the lobby up to the terrace
>I was charged a different room rate when checking out, so be wary of your bill

On the face of it the Waldorf Astoria Panama is a lovely looking hotel. The entrance lobby is beautiful, and the bar upstairs is very impressive. But if you look a little closer, scratch beneth the surface as we say, then you’ll see that it isn’t finished to a high standard. Have a look at my pictures, one might think there was a poltergeist behind my bedroom door, such were the size of the gaps around it!

I will say that the food I had at the hotel was excellent but that is little comfort for the whole experience. When one is paying top dollar (in Panama) to stay at a 5-star hotel you expect the food to be good.

You know the worse thing about this saga? These complaints were made in person to the Ops Manager, and then escalated up to Director level, I’ve exchanged emails with these guys and had a conference call with them. And still 3, nearly 4 months later nothing has been resolved.

This place does not deserve to call itself a Waldorf Astoria and by doing so completely tarnishs the reputation of every other Waldorf Astoria hotel around the world. I wish I’d stayed at the Tryp for a quarter of the price.

Room Tip: Ask that there not be any machinery or air con units located in your room!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
MariaVictoriaB_WA, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear FrequentFlyerDublin,
Words cannot express how grateful we are that you took the time to write this review and give us a detailed explanation of your stay. Your experiences and comments have been carefully noted and will be strictly addressed with the appropriate team members. To this day we have been carefully evaluating and revising our team and services, and we can guarantee you that although it is uncommon to have that type of experiences, we are seriously addressing your comments. After all, it is our number one goal to provide you with the best service during your stay. We truly hope you were able to enjoy some of our other amenities during your stay as well as the city of Panama. Looking forward for a new opportunity, we hope to see you soon.
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for four nights during our vacation to Panama. While researching the property, I was a bit worried based on some of the negative reviews the place was receiving, however my husband and I were both thoroughly pleased with the room, the staff, and the amenities.

Location: Great location in the heart of the banking district. There are several restaurants and nightclubs in the areas. The streets are dark, but seemed safe (just be smart and use common sense when walking around at night). We were on the 17th floor and didn't have any issues with sound filtering into the room. As strict vegetarians, we found the restaurants in the vicinity to be fairly underwhelming.

Check In: We arrived from the airport via taxi and were greeted warmly by the doormen. The ladies at the counter very promptly and expediently checked us in. We were also given complimentary bottled water while we waited. During this process, we were recognized as being Hilton Honors members, greeted by our personal concierge, and escorted to our room. In all fairness, we never used the personal concierge during our stay and cannot speak to that aspect in great detail. The doormen were by far the friendliest and most helpful staff,

Room: We found the room to be very spacious for the two of us (king deluxe, non smoking). It also was very clean and we happened to have a great view of the Pacific Ocean where we could see the ships waiting to enter the canal. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom shower was amazing. The Ferragamo toiletries were impressive but the quality of the shampoo/conditioner is similar to any other hotel toiletry (not the best). The Samsung LCD TVs are a nice touch and easy to connect to via HDMI.

WiFi: We had in-room wifi and were very pleased with the speed and connectivity. Other reviewers commented that the in-room wifi was disappointing; we didn't have any issues with it.

Pool: Not the greatest. But not a big deal for us. It's on the 7th or 8th floor and currently has a nice view of the ocean...this is likely to change as it appears that a new building will be constructed in front of it. It still proved to be a great area to relax & lounge and watch World Cup games.

Breakfast: We ate breakfast at the hotel every morning. Very friendly staff. Great selection of food and the buffet options were different every day. They had a nice selection of breads, muffins, pastries, bagels, cereal, fruit, yogurt, as well as eggs, pancakes/french toast, hash browns. They also had an omelette station. Pretty impressive spread of food to start your day. Breakfast was from 630 am to (I think) 1030 am.

Shuttle: We typically walked a couple blocks and then hailed a yellow taxi to wherever we needed to go; there were an abundance of taxis in the banking district. Our flight out of Panama was late at night, so we booked the hotel's taxi for $40 from the hotel to the airport; we had no issues with this at all. The fee was tacked on to our room charge. But again, because our flight was at 2 am, we felt that this was the best option for us.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MariaVictoriaB_WA, Public Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear prizzle12,
It is great to read such detailed comments. We really value our guests’ comments and we work hard to give each of you the best personalized service we can provide - our own True Waldorf Service. We are glad you were able to enjoy many of our amenities and room features as well as the local vicinity in this vibrant part of Panama City.
We look forward to seeing you again and making your visit even more memorable. Please consider this your second home.
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Staying at a luxury hotel is usually a treat, especially at this one. From the moment you arrive, you are the most important person, the customer-focus is exceptional at all points of contact with the staff and management. The rooms are spacious, well decorated in a contemporary setting, with all the amenities a modern traveler is looking for. The pool, spa and fitness center are no less impressive. The restaurant is equally well managed with a diverse menu for breakfast and lunch (did not experience dinner). The astounding fact is exceptional value at a reasonable price. Our party of four was greatly impressed and we shall return.

Room Tip: Ocean front allows a great view of all ships queued up for entry into the canal
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Carl0999,
Thank you for choosing us during your recent visit to Panama City and for allowing us to provide you with a home away from home. It is our goal to meet our guests needs, and we are so glad you were thoroughly satisfied with your accommodations and the great amenities we are so proud of. We invite you to visit us again on your next trip to the city so we can help you create more wonderful memories.
Fredericksburg, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I arrived at this hotel late on a Friday night.... NOT to worry as it was of no consequence. I was treated like a king for 26 exciting and glorious days. A car was waiting for my departure and I made it to the airport in comfort and in excellent time. I had a slight challenge w/a sink over run in my room and instead of it becoming an embarrassment it fast became and wonderful enhancement. The staff moved me, patted me on the back and just smiled.

The hotel also raised the bar with their many eating establishments. The BRIO BRASERRIE, my favorite was all about good food and being catered too. I live the Hilton brand and can easily assure that no one will ever beat the overall experience of this hotel and its exciting staff.

Room Tip: If you are like me and enjoy a short walk to other restaurants, clubs and a deli.... it is all right...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear TreeMon1,
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. It is wonderful to know our first-class service has impacted your stay in the way it was intended. We hope to welcome you again during your next visit to the city and continue to offer you our first-rate service. We hope to see you again and cater to your needs at the highest standards of service that we provide.
Naples, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I look to the Hilton Brand for excellent service and exceptional values. However, the staff at the W-A Panama and the property itself utterly exceeded my expectations.

The account manager assigned to assist in organizing the HD Supply Waterworks event hosting ten vendors and sixty high-level members of the local municipal waterworks, contractor and private developer marketplace understood my needs and objectives in seeing to it that almost every detail associated with this three-day event was executed to perfection.

More than simply following instructions, the aptitude for creative problem solving demonstrated across the board distinguishes this venue within a very competitive pool. From opening one of the restaurants on property that is otherwise closed for service at lunch in order to host an exquisite buffet for seventy guests, to enlisting the pastry chef's services in the creation of incredible gifts for our VIPs, not enough can be said about the experience.

The staff, the accommodations, the views, the service, the value will bring us back on both business and pleasure.

Room Tip: Book an Ocean-view Suite if the opportunity permits
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear HF1clTS,
Thank you for staying with us and providing us with details about your stay and your three-day event. It is great to hear that you really liked our property and we are glad we have left a great impression on you.
Our primary goal is to offer great service levels and we are glad to hear that all your needs were taken care of. We would love to welcome you back soon and create more wonderful memories.

Been to Waldorf Astoria Panama? Share your experiences!