“Waldorf Panama City” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 111 Hotels in Panama City
Modesto, United States
“Waldorf Panama City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Nice, Comfortable and Excellent Rooms if you Opt for Beach View King Condo. Drinks at the Pool Bar were great and hope Gabriel takes care you - very knowledgeable and professional. Take advantage of the Luxury Airport p/u great Mercedes Benz sedans - if they are taking you to the airport in the morning, make sure you request the cool down the vehicle and sweep out those darn mosquitos.!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

AKorngold, Director of Business Development at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Frank M,

Thanks indeed for your nice comments.

We really appreciate our guests' feedback as these help us to improve every day.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon.

Waldorf Astoria Panama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
gmuff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Very nice hotel top of the line luxurious rooms. Brand new hotel Service was excellent as well. Stayed one nice with my associates. The room had all the latest amenities as we as a well stocked mini bar.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

AKorngold, Director of Business Development at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear gmuff,

Thanks a lot for your review.

Comments like yours are the once that show us that we are going on the right direction.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

POWELL, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was good but several minor things detracted from it being great. Charge for internet, breakfast was overpriced. Room amenities were not refreshed the second day of stay. Overall it was a nice experience but the WA can do better.

Dear Patricia C,

We really appreciate your comments about you stay with us.

The team Waldorf Astoria Panama team will be working diligently to make sure we fix all those details you mentioned in your review.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon in our property to show you how the act on our guests' comments.

Brasilito, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The service and attentiveness of the staff was amazing. They have a courtesy car that will take you places within 2 Km. The rooms were new nice and clean and the beds and bedding were heavenly. The location is very good and we truly enjoyed our stay. The only thing that was not perfect for our stay was that the internet is an additional cost which is common in fine hotels, but a pet peeve of mine that I can spend half as much on a room and have it included, why should I pay more and have to nickel and dimed for basic services.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear RandyTuanis,

Thanks a lot for your amazing comments about your stay with us.

We will definitely look into your Internet comments.

We hope to see you again soon.

Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I write this review while I'm packing my luggages on a bench as there is no luggage rack. Nice hotel, brand new needs some shakedown. My deluxe room 1312 was a nice spacious king size bed,a great bathroom with Ferragamo amenities, nice bed and towels.When I check in on a late Friday evening I requested a high floor room to get a better rest. Unfortunately there was a loud music from the ground, after several call ( phone not always works and waiting time is long ) they said that was from local bars, but at 2 AM ( ! ) they admitted was from a private event in the hotel. I'm not saying that they cannot rent a room for private party but not under my window ending at 3 AM. This upset me very much and ruined my Saturday.
Breakfast is more or less average, noting fancy. Nice small pool with a bar. The Ginger restaurant is nice as food and style but is extremely uncomfortable for a freeze temperature. Internet is working very well and was included in my fare otherwise is 12 $.
Overall I expected more from this Waldorf but probably is the start.

Room Tip: Never get a low floor room and always inquire about private events in the hotel
Dear Giacomo V,

Thanks for your review, we really appreciate you comments and I promise we will be working in those details to avoid that from happening in the future.

We hope you give us a new opportunity soon to show you what we have changed.

SAN JOSE, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Prior to staying at the Waldorf, I read all the reviews posted on TripAdvisor since it opened last Spring 2013. Recognizing that this is a brand new hotel, and with the brand name, Waldorf Astoria, most guests would expect a top notch facility and treatment. After staying at the Waldorf for six nights this August, I tend to agree with the many previous posted reviews, both positive and negative.

In this regard, the hotel staff were always extremely helpful and polite, but their staff is in dire need of training. Housekeeping and in-room food service were always inconsistent. One never knew what mistake they were to going make each day. Some examples of their poor training: forgetting to drop off daily water bottles or toiletries, replacing dirty drinking glasses, housekeeping slamming doors while cleaning adjacent rooms, forgetting food items ordered for in-room food service, etc. Good grief, housekeeping and room service were not consistent by any means of the imagination. Albeit somewhat annoying, the staff immediately corrected it when asked. I personally found this to be a bit odd for having the brand name, "Waldorf Astoria".

One of the first things I noticed to be a bit strange when I first entered my room, no luggage racks or stands. What the heck? Where is one suppose to set their luggage? However, staff immediately brought two luggage stands to my room when requested. Hey Waldorf, buy some luggage stands! (I personally think the bellhop was embarrassed by the situation).

The room look and decor was excellent. The two raised bathroom sinks were pretty cool and the shower was well designed. Missing was a TV in the bathroom for those that enjoy that feature. The bed and pillows were extremely comfy as mentioned in prior guest postings. See previously posted photos of their rooms.

As mentioned in prior reviews, the hotel lobby has a very modern contemporary look about it. Of course, the hotel is basically brand new. But the lobby doesn't seem to have much activity, meaning it doesn't give the appearance of a "happening place".

Some comments on the hotel location and its surroundings in the neighborhood: boring and somewhat ugly area. Why Waldorf didn't build on the empty lot in front of it is beyond reason.
The hotel is landlocked in this old neighborhood. In fact, some of the staff opined that the current hotel location was a "test location". There are several nice restaurants nearby also mentioned in prior reviews. FYI: taxi fare from Tucomen International Airport to the Waldorf was $28 and $35 for the return trip. The hotel is very helpful in getting you either a private taxi or yellow cab. (Note: Panama's Yellow Cabs do not use meters, you negotiate the fare when entering the cab). In summary, I would say the hotel itself is a great facility, great looking, but not at all in an exciting location.

That being said, I felt the room cost was an absolute bargain for what one is getting. Very cheap indeed, even if the internet access was an additional $12 per day. No complaints on the room cost. I stayed on the 16th floor with a view of ocean (bay actually). The ocean view is between two residential buildings, resulting in a somewhat constrained view.

Hint: Allow yourself three hours when visiting the Miraflora Locks. You will want to watch one of the big ships pass through the locks.

Room Tip: Try to get room numbers ending in either 08 or 09 on any floor for best ocean views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
AKorngold, Director of Business Development at Waldorf Astoria Panama, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear TANGODANO,

Thanks for your recent comments about your stay with us.

We really appreciate comments like yours because they help us get better on a daily basis, rest assure that we will discuss this within our entire team and we will make sure we overcome the situations that create dissatisfaction for our guests.

We definitely hope to see you soon here and that you give us a new opportunity to prove that we are the hotel that can best accommodate your needs.

Panama, Panama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I loved the looks of the hotel, the area is good. One can feel the modernism and the new vibe of the hotel right away. Couple of things: Arrived at 3 p.m. (check-in time) and still had to wait 30 min for my room in the lobby. I booked a ocean view suite and was told I would had to get a city view, no problem, but once I get in the room I could clearly see it was not the suite I had booked. I'm certain as I'd seen pictures of the room before, I got a much smaller room. I still said nothing and enjoyed my stay. At check out I had over 50 dollars in parking charges for ONE night? I've stayed in countless hotels in Panama and I had never seen such a thing. It is an abusive charge and more so that no one mentioned it.

Dear DACAPanama,

Thanks a lot for your comments regarding your recent stay in our hotel.

We really appreciate all the information you provided and we are sorry that the Ocean Viw Room reserved was not available at time of Check In.

In reference to the Parking Fee, the regular charge is $15 and not $50 so please contact us at personal.concierge.panama@waldorfastoria.com sending us a copy of the invoice and we will be more than happy to adjust your bill.

Thanks again for staying with us and we are looking forward to seeing you soon.

Waldorf Astoria Panama

Been to Waldorf Astoria Panama? Share your experiences!