“Super Mario -- My friend” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 106 Activities in Panama City
More attraction details
Owner description: Local tour operator with local guides offering the best value tours in Colon and Panama City since 1994, if you really like to learn about Panama under the local perspective try with us!
MD
5 attraction reviews
“Super Mario -- My friend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Planned a layover in Panama City to see the Canal and other sites. Booked a tour with "My Friend Mario" and it was superb. Greeted outside customs by Mario Sr. who drove us on a six-hour tour, including stops for coffee and lunch, that basically showed us everything we had hoped to see. Mario checked to see when ships would be coming through the Canal and planned the rest of the tour accordingly. His knowledge of Panama was unsurpassed. We drove through the modern part of Panama City as we made our way to the Old City. In the old City, he parked and led us on a walking tour. Then it was off to the former Canal Zone area. After lunch we visited the canal and saw the full treatment. While we had to pay for the museum tickets, not included in the tour price, Mario got us through the line and served as our guide in the museum. The he made sure we got great views of the ships. Finally, after 6 quick hours we were back to the airport with plenty of time to spare. It was a most pleasurable day and one I would recommend to anyone travelling to Panama City.

Toronto, Canada
“Panama city tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We had an 8 hour stopepover in Panama city and we contacted mario in advance to ook a tour for the four of us- my husband, and two grown up boys ( age 19 and 21)

He picked us up on time - in fact he was waiting since our flight was a little delayed
He took us in his very nice new SUV around the city and provided a lot ofmhistorical information. We saw the new areas, the older ancient areas, the small mountain in themiddle of the city, the bridge over the canal as well as the actual panama canal. Very informative and thorough tour - really enjoyd it! Thank you! And we made it abck in time for our flight! :)

Seal Beach, California, United States
“Best tour for your time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Whether you have a few hours or all day this tour certainly seems to accommodate. On top of that the price is the best around. We saw so much of the city and learned quite a bit. Mario #2 know his city and its history very well. The ease of being picked up at the airport to being able to drop off our luggage at the hotel is service you just do not get with every tour company. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour and when in the area again will look to try one of their other options.

Columbia, SC
“Great family private tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

After calling around several places, Mario had the best prices around so we decided on a private tour with him and we couldn't be happier with our decision. Our party consisted of me, 32 years old, my daughter, 4 years old, and my mother in law, 64. We were picked up on time at our home by Mario himself. On the way, we stopped for fresh fruit and bottled water. We drove about an hour before reaching the river where a canoe was waiting for us. After a short, leisurely canoe ride, we arrived to our hiking path. Mario and our embera friend gently guided us through rivers and mud puddles, one helping my daughter and the other helping my mother in law. The waterfall was beautiful! We were able to swim to it and sit in it- it was my daughter's favorite part of the trip! Afterwards, we got back on the canoe to head towards the village. The welcome, the food, the people, the music and dancing, everything about the village were amazing! We left just before the rain hit and headed back home. Mario was full of knowledge on various topics that made the ride home quick. I would definitely recommend this trip for anyone; in fact, we will be doing the trip again when other family members come out to visit us, and we wont hesitate to go with Mario again!

Flesherton, Canada
28 attraction reviews
“Embera tribe experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We booked a day trip to the Embera village near Panama through MyfriendMario. It was one of the most memorable things we did. We were picked up outside the gate of the port and paid $80 each for the 7 hour day trip. We took a ride up the mountains in our comfortable AC van with Mario telling us about Panama & features of the area that we were driving through. When we arrived at the Chagres River paid the $5 park fee then we got into a dugout canoe. After about a 20 minute canoe ride, we climbed ashore and hiked about 15 minutes to a waterfall, so secluded and peaceful. Luckily we were the only ones there & didn't have to share it with anybody else. Make sure if you go there that you wear water shoes that can get wet and that you can hike in. We then took a 15 minute canoe ride back to the tribe's location. The tribe explained a little of their history and their craftmaking, and we were served a fruit tray that Mario brought & lunch of fried plantains and fried tilapia and sea bass. The women performed a couple of dances with the men accompanying on instruments. The men played one song and then members of the tribe pulled people from the audience to dance with them. Time to shop was also included. The baskets here are about 1/2 the price of what you will find elsewhere in Panama. There are lots of carved items as well as woven baskets. Remember to take cash with you for this (with plenty of $1 bills just in case they don't have change). It was an amazing trip and we thoroughly enjoyed.

Overall, this peaceful and tranquil village & waterfall adventure was one of the highlights of our entire trip and would definitely recommend visiting the Embera and using Mario if he's available.

Visited April 2013