“Great location with large rooms, poor service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Antigua

You added Casa Antigua to your Saves list
Casa Antigua
Calle 9 entre Av. Eloy Alfaro y Ave. B | Casco Viejo, Panama City 0815, Panama   |
Ranked #23 of 71 Panama City B&B and Inns
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great location with large rooms, poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We enjoyed our short stay at casa antigua overall and thought it was in a great location and decent price for the area. The only real issues we had was the check-in was subpar as we had to ask for all pertinent information such as wifi info, breakfast times, map of area etc. The female who checked us in said about 3 words and was just going to give us the key to the room and say good luck with figuring everything else out. The room also had no windows and it scared my wife as we stayed in the Taboga room and she thought if there was a fire in this old building we'd be burned alive with no escape route. There was also no hot water for the two days we were staying at the hotel which was annoying as we paid good money and the hotel staff blamed it on poor pressure, which doesn't have to do anything with water temp. The rooftop terrace was extremely nice. Would recommend this hotel but with a few service tweeks it would be a really nice place.

Room Tip: Choose a room that has a view of the street, our room the Taboga had no view or even window.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Bowie888, Owner at Casa Antigua, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
My apologies for the problems you encountered. There is no excuse for poor service desk attitudes and we have discussed that issue with the staff concerned. As regards hot water that was poorly explained and maybe " lost in translation" . Actually it was a boiler problem as you properly identified. Glad to say now fixed.
Again my apologies and we certainly appreciate your raising these issues

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed here two years ago and returned with friends because of the outstanding location, views from the rooms and rooftop. If these things matter to you, then this is a great place. Our friends were amazed when we went up to the rooftop, which has a great breeze, BTW! Best view spot in Casco. The service has improved since we were here, and I found the staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast was pretty underwhelming, but at least it was offered, free of charge (a little granola in a paper cup, coffee, milk, plain bread). Now the tough but entertaining part--the noise. As Casco has become a very chic place to go in Panama, and this hotel is at the entrance to Casco, the noise level has increased. Loud, loud. But it was an interesting cultural experience. Then a church service started at 7:30 a.m. We laughed--Disco to Dios and you don't even have to get out of bed. Bring ear plugs and enjoy the view. We were in El Canal suite--beautiful and nicely appointed. The only bathroom in the two bedroom suite is adjacent to the master bed, though, so not ideal if you have two couples. a good value for the money here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Bowie888, Owner at Casa Antigua, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Thank you so much for your post. We appreciate your comments but please be assured the noise levels have dropped dramatically since they have opened the by pass around the old city.
It's true, that this is a great party place and the locals love to party. However nobody appreciates traffic noise , great news that this has been solved with the new road system.
Come back and see us again soon. Ear plugs optional but it will be party time not expressway music !
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed in the Chagres, which has the best view with a double balcony! The room was nice and clean, but the bathroom could use some updating. The shower barely worked, but we didnt complain, so maybe it could have been fixed? We were just so excited to have the view, we did not bother. Panama City and Casco Viejo is now one of our favorite cities in the world!!!
Can't wait to see it once everything is restored. The service at the hotel, well there really is no service to be had. The check in is just a small office in a weird area and seems to be the only person working in the hotel other than the cleaning staff. It was not bad service, just seemed not to be available. Either way, we would stay here again just for the location!

Room Tip: chagres has the best balcony
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bowie888, Owner at Casa Antigua, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
My apologies that you had problems with the shower and instructions are already issued to get that fixed . We are happy that you found the location was great and indeed we are well located for anyone wanting to enjoy the old city ambience Many thanks for the review
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

While we had a good experience with the hotel and the service and location was excellent, the noise level alone would preclude me from recommending Casa Antigua. I had read the reviews, but naively assumed that because we were staying on a Sunday and Monday the noise wouldn't be a problem.

Wanting to get to Miraflores Locks early in the morning, we retired early. Alas, the abandoned building down the street was playing thumping club music until 4AM... on a Sunday night! A similar situation happened on Monday when the bar downstairs played music until 2AM. I like partying as much as the next person, but this was really too much.

The Chagres room, while spacious, was a little more dated and unfinished than the photos would imply. The balcony, which we hoped to sit and relax on, was either directly in the path of direct sunlight in the morning or noisy with all the club music. If I were to stay again I would pick an inner room to avoid the noise from the clubs and the street. Also, our shower was broken during our stay leading to no more than a trickle emerging - however, since we were only there for 2 nights and barely spent any time in the room, it didn't seem worth it to raise the issue with management.

The staff were very friendly and even helped me to keep some toiletries that I had left behind for me to pick up upon my return to Panama City. One thing to note though is that when we asked them about cab prices they quoted excessively. Not sure why.

As I mentioned, the location is excellent on the edge of Casco Viejo and one can walk from the hotel to Mercado de Mariscos and the rest of the old city. There is a rooftop terrace with beautiful views of the bay and the old city.

Only stay here if you can cope with the noise and deteriorating facilities.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the street (e.g., Chagres) if you want to get any sleep on any day of the week.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bowie888, Owner at Casa Antigua, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Apologies for the night noise from that unauthorized "night club" the Authorities have now stepped in and closed it down. This has restored the peace and it's annoying that you and others have had to endure the row in the meantime. It's great that you took time out to make this known (as have others) because it enabled us to push for action . Having said that this is a lively area and the locals like to party. It's the hottest spot in town and our location as reported by others is ideal for sampling the nightlife whilst being convenient for shopping and walking around the bay.
Hope to see you back and again our apologies.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

I chose Casa Antigua for it's unobstructed views across the bay to the high rise skyline in one direction and Casco Viejo in others. This hotel is beyond noisy, it's down right loud! Like trying to sleep in a night club. I would not stay here again unless they replace the windows. They also need to do something about the air in the internal area, hot hot hot and smelly from the restaurant below. The staff was very friendly! Price way too high for the noise one must endure!

• Stayed March 2014
Bowie888, Owner at Casa Antigua, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
We responded to some similar comments on noise from other visitors. The source was an unauthorized night spot now closed down thankfully by the Authorities. Nevertheless we do apologize
In regards the other points ( aircon) this is being seen to as we intend to remodel that particular location. We hope you managed despite this to enjoy yourself as our location is certainly ideal for both views of the bay and being the best spot in the old city to savor the atmosphere and excitement of this historic area. Many thanks for taking time out to post and again our apologies.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We could not have been happier with our experience at Casa Antigua, although we might have been a special case. We arrived early in the morning, expecting to drop our bags off and check in later at the stated check-in time (2:00pm). However, the hotel told us they had a room available already and could check us in early. Not only that, they had some issue with our room (Taboga room) and instead upgraded us to a large suite with a rooftop terrace (Paseo room). Upgrade aside, the front desk people were very helpful with everything else.

The location was fine. Casco Viejo is small enough that you can walk anywhere in 5 minutes, so I don't think there is much benefit to any particular location unless you have an ocean view. At night a couple of bars/cafes next door had decent sized crowds, but we didn't hear any of the (Wednesday night) noise from our room.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bowie888, Owner at Casa Antigua, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Great that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your support. I hope you managed to visit our nearby restaurant Grapes? It's located in our home accross the way from the hotel
Actually the old city wall passes through both areas and this is what adds charm to the whole area.
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Yes, it's on the main street and can be noisy, but the view of downtown is magnificent! I like watching whats going on, on the street, so I didn't mind the night life....too much. Besides, the bedroom is upstairs and has no windows, so with ear plugs (which I always travel with), I got a good nights sleep. The apartment was nicely decorated and breakfast was included. It was not what I usually had for break! but it got me going in the morning. The location is great. There are many restaurants within walking distance and you can easily catch a cab at the front door. I only had a few problems during our 5 night stay there. Housekeeping is odd...and inconsistent. We had a full set of towels when we came in, but the dirty ones weren't always replaced. So one day I was down to one. They took the soap after one use, and didn't replace it for a few days. For two nights, I slept upside down, because the bed was made...upside down. I came back in the late after noon to find the bedroom door closed and locked...and no one had a key to unlock it. It took awhile, but someone finally showed up with a knife and got in. None of this was a big problem, just odd. I, however, have a sense of humor and took it all in stride. I can't say the same for my friends staying across the hall that came in to find a mouse in their room. The staff would not deal with it...at all. They wouldn't even take it away when my friend got it in a paper bag! Would I stay there again? Absolutely, but the next time I come to Panama, I'll probably stay in another neighborhood so I can see and explore areas other than Casco Viejo. Would I recommend Casa Antigua to my friends? Yes and I'd direct them to my review, as well. Let them decide. I also want to mention that it felt very safe there. You didn't get past the front door without passing a security guard!

Room Tip: If it's important to you, ask for a room with a window to the outside. Mine did, but my friend...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Bowie888, Owner at Casa Antigua, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Glad you generally enjoyed your stay. Sorry about the unwelcome guests but unfortunately these old cities do times have this problem. There is a lot of old deserted buildings in the area which are of course prone to this problem. Trust that it didn't cause you too much of an issue and that otherwise you enjoyed the experience.

Been to Casa Antigua? Share your experiences!