“Clean, safe. and efficient hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Double Points!
Ranked #40 of 111 Hotels in Panama City
California
“Clean, safe. and efficient hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

the air conditioning was great. after walking around every day in the heat, it was nice to be able to have the room cool enough to make us feel relieved immediatly relieved once we returned.

We walked to the local casino, and lots of local restraraunts.

if you dont mind walking away from the hotel, cabs were much cheaper, if we caught one ourselfs, as opposed to having the hotel call one for us. Cabs are cheap, and I think we paid $12 for a ride to the Miraflores locks

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Dubuque, Iowa, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We traveled to Panama City for our honeymoon and were upgraded to a suite upon arrival due to using Hilton points. The room was great and the location was nice, as it was close to restaurants, shopping and the nightlife. The staff was friendly, but did not give good directions and we ended up going the wrong way on more than one occasion because of them. We stayed for two nights and during the stay there were two times when the entire hotel completely lost power. Once we noticed from across the street, and the second time while we were in the room. It was unpleasant, but only a few moments before it was up and running again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Wolf A, General Manager at DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Nicole B,

First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I thank you for selecting us for such a special occasion as your honeymoon and truly apologize that we did not meet expectations. I was extremely disappointed to read from your review that you had some issues at our hotel including experiencing some power-outages. Gladly the hotel's back-up power station went online to cover the matter. In addition, I do apologize if our staff giving you bad directions. I can assure you that our main priority is for our guests to have an exceptional stay with us and we will do everything we need to do to ensure that these issues do not occur again. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Arlington, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Overall, our actual stay at the Doubletree was excellent. The facility was nice, the location was nice, the staff were accomodating. We especially liked the rooftop pool with nice views of the city. In terms of the experience, this hotel was up to the Hilton and Doubletree brand standards. We enjoyed our time there.

However, at this time I am compelled to write a negative review of this establishment because of fraudulent charges which it has levied against my account. I reserved this hotel well in advance of my stay (7 months) through hilton.com using my HHonors account. I was quoted a very reasonable price, with taxes and everything, as hilton.com always does. When I checked out, the hotel refused to provide an invoice or receipt. I asked for it in both English and Spanish. The desk agent pretended to not know what I was talking about. This should have been a red flag. In a hurry to catch a flight, I gave up and left. Sure enough, at the end of my trip, I check my credit card and the charge is $80 higher than it should have been. And, coincidentally (just a coincidence, I am sure), there is no receipt available on my Hhonors online account!! It just shows an "error"...hmm, of all my Hilton stays over a number of years, the ONE that has incorrect charges also has no visible receipt.

So I inquire with HHonors customer service, who checks back with the hotel. The hotel notifies them that an extra charge per night was added "due to a child being added to the reservation". First off, hilton can see online that I made no changes to the reservation. Secondly, I don't have any children, and the desk agent saw that. This is ridiculous and clearly fraudulent behavior.

I am currently trying to work through the Hilton customer service red tape and don't know if I will ever see a resolution to this issue.

Room Tip: The higher up, the better, because it is a big city and there is street noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wolf A, General Manager at DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Collin W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. I was very happy to read from your review that you found our hotel to be conveniently located and that our staff was accommodating. Our main priority is for our guests to feel welcome and comfortable stay.

I do however understand your disappointment regarding some of issues with the billing process. I truly apologize for the confusion with the charges you incurred and after reviewing the case we processed the proper reimbursement on January 10th.

Again I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused and I do hope to have another opportunity to serve you in Panamá.

DoubleTree by Hilton Panamá City
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel was nicely priced with a good location within a short stroll of Calle Uruguay and its many restaurants, bars and nightclubs although you're far enough away that it wasn't noisy.

We enjoyed the warm cookie on arrival, probably our favourite thing about the stay.

The room was simple although the hard tiled floor was cold and bad for acoustics. The air conditioner was quite loud. The bed was comfortable and the rooms clean.

There was no shelf in the shower, so you had to put your shampoos and soaps on the floor which is very inconvenient.

Breakfast buffet was included in our rate. The food was not refilled as frequently as we would have liked, and it was a bit understaffed is seemed, so we had to wait a bit to get refreshments. The food itself was tasty enough, and the servers friendly. There was an omelet station but it wasn't available each day we were there. Not sure if there are specific hours for it.

Wifi was available in the lobby.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Wolf A, General Manager at DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I am glad to read from your review that you found our staff to be friendly and that you enjoyed our location. Our main priority is for our guests to feel welcome and to have a comfortable stay. I regret that you had a disappointing experience with A/C unit being too noisy. I can assure you that I have personally spoken to our maintenance crew regarding your comments. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Again, I sincerely apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope that next time you are in town, you give us another opportunity to provide you with the service you deserve. Thank you once again for your comments.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I have been resident at this hotel since 24 November 2012, day to day service is FANTASTIC. The odd glitch, but generally the hotel is great and the staff are well trained and friendly. However, Christmas has been non existent. No decorations, no warm family feel, no special menu, it has been the same as any other day. It is despicable! I had served in Afghanistan, Iraq, Bosnia, Kosovo and everytime I had a great Christmas in extreme conditions. This has definately been the worst Christmas of my life. Not only has the omitance of any form of Christmas decoration, food, feeling been detrimental to guests, you can see the staff are also unhappy today! One big mistake by the management team! Look at the photo of my Christmas meal I ordered grilled chicken off the menu. It was 3mm thick with bitter tasting charcoal! DISGUSTED!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Wolf A, General Manager at DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear taffyGhana,

Thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I was happy to read that you stayed with us for quite a while and considered our staff to be friendly and the service fantastic. However, I apologize for not meeting your expectations regarding the Christmas spirit. I am always looking for reviews to provide insights into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind. I have brought to our Chef's attention your comments and pictures since your order was clearly not up to our regular standards and I apologize for this as well.

Torrance, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Unfortunately my experience at this Doubletree a few weeks ago was not so positive. I thought being a Hilton Honors Diamond member I would receive a warm welcome, that was not the case. I was asked if I would like an upgrade, I said "sure" and was put in a room that was okay, but nothing special. I must say the room was clean and I found all the typical Hilton bath products, robe and slippers had been supplied. I did have to ask for a cookie and was told one would be brought to my room in a while.

Being a Diamond member I was given breakfast coupons. Both days the buffet was filled with several empty platters and the food I did eat was okay. The first day there was lots of yummy papaya and pineapple, but the second day the fruit platter had been picked over and no one seemed bothered to refill it. There were two very nice servers walking around pouring coffee and juice, but they just couldn't keep up with the volume of diners and dirty tables. If you're going for breakfast, go early when they first open.

As a solo traveler, I found this hotel rather bleak. I had read they have an Executive Lounge, but was disappointed to learn on arrival that this is not the case. The bar area/lobby leaves a lot to be desired. After the first night, I cancelled my reservation for the following week. Unfortunately I can not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Go for the highest room possible to avoid the street traffic and noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I have never written a hotel review before. After my stay at this location, however, I am motivated to express my dissatisfaction.

My partner is a Hilton, Diamond Member, and, as such, is usually afforded many benefits. I have traveled to many parts of the world to stay with him and have spent many nights in Doubletree Hotels elsewhere. My experience has always been pleasant. This location was pitiful!

When I arrived after midnight, I was greeted by a large, baren reception area with very little furniture and an empty Concierge lecturn up against the wall. My taxi driver had offered to carry my luggage up the stairs to the Reception Desk, so I certainly let him.
There were three employees behind the desk amiably chatted amongst themselves. I am accustomed to being enthusiastically greeted by the staff. This was not the case here. I was not even ackowledged. I excused myself and then was asked if I had a reservation. I said that my name had been added to a current reservation and was looked at curiously. Another of the employees chimed in with " oh you must be ---name mispronounced----. I said yes and was told that I could go upstairs to the room and was handed a card key with the room number written on it.
I arrived at the room. My partner was there. He had been relocated after having major problems with another room. This room was quite large and quite empty. There was an odd 10 foot by 10 foot room in the corner with nothing but a floor lamp in it. OK?
This was an "upgrade", I guess. All was good until the cathedral chimes started at 5am. The bed vibrated with each chime and they seemed to go on forever. When we stopped by the Reception Desk the next morning to ask for my breakfast coupon, we were grilled and begrudgingly handed the coupon.
The next night was Saturday. I took several postcards to the front desk to ask if they would mail them for me. I was told " no. You'll have to go to the post office on Monday after 8am." I told them I was leaving for a cruise on Sunday, would they please mail them for me. I will pay the postage. I was told "no, we don't do that".

The whole experience at this location was unpleasant and unwelcoming. I understand that Panama City is not know for its' service, but do you really want to alienate travelers?

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the other side from the cathedral. Or, at least, ask for a room that won't be...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Wolf A, General Manager at DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Tom S,

Thank you for your feedback and candid review of your recent stay with us. We are so sorry to hear you were disappointed in your visit as we strive to provide each of our guests with the highest quality service and accommodations in the area. It is our goal to make every guest feel valued and appreciated and we regret this was not your experience. We will share your comments with our staff as an example of how important our interactions with guests are and use them as we continually work to improve our guests' satisfaction and take proper corrective actions. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality service and accommodations you deserve, should you return to our area in the future. If I may be of any additional assistance or if you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly.

wolf.alexandrovich@hilton.com

Been to DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City? Share your experiences!