“Value accommodations - best thing was the cookie” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Double Points!
Ranked #40 of 111 Hotels in Panama City
Toronto, Canada
“Value accommodations - best thing was the cookie”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel was nicely priced with a good location within a short stroll of Calle Uruguay and its many restaurants, bars and nightclubs although you're far enough away that it wasn't noisy.

We enjoyed the warm cookie on arrival, probably our favourite thing about the stay.

The room was simple although the hard tiled floor was cold and bad for acoustics. The air conditioner was quite loud. The bed was comfortable and the rooms clean.

There was no shelf in the shower, so you had to put your shampoos and soaps on the floor which is very inconvenient.

Breakfast buffet was included in our rate. The food was not refilled as frequently as we would have liked, and it was a bit understaffed is seemed, so we had to wait a bit to get refreshments. The food itself was tasty enough, and the servers friendly. There was an omelet station but it wasn't available each day we were there. Not sure if there are specific hours for it.

Wifi was available in the lobby.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Wolf A, General Manager at DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I am glad to read from your review that you found our staff to be friendly and that you enjoyed our location. Our main priority is for our guests to feel welcome and to have a comfortable stay. I regret that you had a disappointing experience with A/C unit being too noisy. I can assure you that I have personally spoken to our maintenance crew regarding your comments. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Again, I sincerely apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope that next time you are in town, you give us another opportunity to provide you with the service you deserve. Thank you once again for your comments.

Wolf Alexandrovich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I have been resident at this hotel since 24 November 2012, day to day service is FANTASTIC. The odd glitch, but generally the hotel is great and the staff are well trained and friendly. However, Christmas has been non existent. No decorations, no warm family feel, no special menu, it has been the same as any other day. It is despicable! I had served in Afghanistan, Iraq, Bosnia, Kosovo and everytime I had a great Christmas in extreme conditions. This has definately been the worst Christmas of my life. Not only has the omitance of any form of Christmas decoration, food, feeling been detrimental to guests, you can see the staff are also unhappy today! One big mistake by the management team! Look at the photo of my Christmas meal I ordered grilled chicken off the menu. It was 3mm thick with bitter tasting charcoal! DISGUSTED!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Wolf A, General Manager at DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear taffyGhana,

Thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I was happy to read that you stayed with us for quite a while and considered our staff to be friendly and the service fantastic. However, I apologize for not meeting your expectations regarding the Christmas spirit. I am always looking for reviews to provide insights into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind. I have brought to our Chef's attention your comments and pictures since your order was clearly not up to our regular standards and I apologize for this as well.

DoubleTree by Hilton Panama City
Torrance, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Unfortunately my experience at this Doubletree a few weeks ago was not so positive. I thought being a Hilton Honors Diamond member I would receive a warm welcome, that was not the case. I was asked if I would like an upgrade, I said "sure" and was put in a room that was okay, but nothing special. I must say the room was clean and I found all the typical Hilton bath products, robe and slippers had been supplied. I did have to ask for a cookie and was told one would be brought to my room in a while.

Being a Diamond member I was given breakfast coupons. Both days the buffet was filled with several empty platters and the food I did eat was okay. The first day there was lots of yummy papaya and pineapple, but the second day the fruit platter had been picked over and no one seemed bothered to refill it. There were two very nice servers walking around pouring coffee and juice, but they just couldn't keep up with the volume of diners and dirty tables. If you're going for breakfast, go early when they first open.

As a solo traveler, I found this hotel rather bleak. I had read they have an Executive Lounge, but was disappointed to learn on arrival that this is not the case. The bar area/lobby leaves a lot to be desired. After the first night, I cancelled my reservation for the following week. Unfortunately I can not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Go for the highest room possible to avoid the street traffic and noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I have never written a hotel review before. After my stay at this location, however, I am motivated to express my dissatisfaction.

My partner is a Hilton, Diamond Member, and, as such, is usually afforded many benefits. I have traveled to many parts of the world to stay with him and have spent many nights in Doubletree Hotels elsewhere. My experience has always been pleasant. This location was pitiful!

When I arrived after midnight, I was greeted by a large, baren reception area with very little furniture and an empty Concierge lecturn up against the wall. My taxi driver had offered to carry my luggage up the stairs to the Reception Desk, so I certainly let him.
There were three employees behind the desk amiably chatted amongst themselves. I am accustomed to being enthusiastically greeted by the staff. This was not the case here. I was not even ackowledged. I excused myself and then was asked if I had a reservation. I said that my name had been added to a current reservation and was looked at curiously. Another of the employees chimed in with " oh you must be ---name mispronounced----. I said yes and was told that I could go upstairs to the room and was handed a card key with the room number written on it.
I arrived at the room. My partner was there. He had been relocated after having major problems with another room. This room was quite large and quite empty. There was an odd 10 foot by 10 foot room in the corner with nothing but a floor lamp in it. OK?
This was an "upgrade", I guess. All was good until the cathedral chimes started at 5am. The bed vibrated with each chime and they seemed to go on forever. When we stopped by the Reception Desk the next morning to ask for my breakfast coupon, we were grilled and begrudgingly handed the coupon.
The next night was Saturday. I took several postcards to the front desk to ask if they would mail them for me. I was told " no. You'll have to go to the post office on Monday after 8am." I told them I was leaving for a cruise on Sunday, would they please mail them for me. I will pay the postage. I was told "no, we don't do that".

The whole experience at this location was unpleasant and unwelcoming. I understand that Panama City is not know for its' service, but do you really want to alienate travelers?

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the other side from the cathedral. Or, at least, ask for a room that won't be...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Wolf A, General Manager at DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Tom S,

Thank you for your feedback and candid review of your recent stay with us. We are so sorry to hear you were disappointed in your visit as we strive to provide each of our guests with the highest quality service and accommodations in the area. It is our goal to make every guest feel valued and appreciated and we regret this was not your experience. We will share your comments with our staff as an example of how important our interactions with guests are and use them as we continually work to improve our guests' satisfaction and take proper corrective actions. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality service and accommodations you deserve, should you return to our area in the future. If I may be of any additional assistance or if you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly.

DoubleTree by Hilton Panama City
wolf.alexandrovich@hilton.com
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I am stayed at the Doubletree Panama City on business in November, 2012. I spend more than 100 nights a year at various Hilton properties around the world, and my honest review of this hotel is "very average". On the plus side, the location is quite central and it is clean and modern, with a fairly helpful staff. On the negative side, however, I found the room to be stark and cold, almost "hospital like". Imagine all white tile, energy saving (BRIGHT) lighting, extremely loud air conditioning and a toilet that annoyingly ran noisily all night. The room just was not comfortable, nor was the strangely-shaped lobby, the restaurant, etc. The amenities are what you would expect from Doubletree; I got the yummy cookie upon check in, the Crabtree & Evelyn bath products, a good size flat screen with a decent selection of channels, etc. I just found the entire hotel style to be very clinical and not very welcoming.

Room Tip: The neighborhood is relatively quiet but if you are sensitive to street noise, ask for a room higher...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Hotel
I found this property to be very nicely maintained, clean and modern. From the lobby, to the restaurant, rooftop gym, pool and rooms. The room had all the amenities one would expect from Hilton, everything worked, and there was a large channel selection on the flat panel TV. The safe was large enough for a tablet computer. I was pleasantly surprised by a large gym (for hotel standards) on the 7th floor, with a view of the city while you worked out. Though not large, the rooftop pool appeared well maintained.
Location
The hotel is not on the main blvd, but from a positive side, I wouldn't expect any traffic noise from any side of the hotel/room location. There are not an abundance of restaurant choices within a 1/2 mile radius, though there is one next door, and 2 small cafe's and a bar and grill down the block and even 1 casino. Though the waterfront is just a short cab ride away.
A real nice location feature is the city sightseeing bus stop 1/2 a block away, which even had a staff member standing at the stop providing directions and selling tickets in advance (I asked the hotel concierge about it and he had a $2 discount coupon which was readily accepted). There is also a mini-mart 1 block south of the hotel for small items.

Room Tip: Due to the location from a noise perspective, I would think any side of the hotel would be acceptabl...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Cookeville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We found the people they have there to be well suited to the hospitality industry. Front door, front desk staff and restaurant were very well staffed, and the people were helpful. One stand-out employee was José, one of the waiters. He went out of his way to see that we got what we wanted and helped out as an interpreter any time we had difficulty communicating. Very nice hotel, the location is convenient but there are no great views.

Room Tip: A high floor on the South side would put you furthest from the subway construction that is underway.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City? Share your experiences!