“Just perfect!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 111 Hotels in Panama City
Guatemala City, Guatemala
“Just perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I normally don't write reviews, but really had a great experience at the Doubletree. The service was excellent! We walked in hot and sweaty, and they greeted us with a freshly blended tropical drink, a warm cookie, and allowed us to check-in 2 hours early.

I did a lot of research before coming, and was sure I wanted to stay in the Congrego/Financial neighborhood. It is the safest and nicest part of town. This hotel is definitely the best price for the neighborhood and what you get. The lobby looks classy, the room was spacious, clean, and comfortable, and the rooftop pool and hottub are definitely a plus after a long, hot day of walking and sightseeing.

After checking out, the bell boy held our luggage in a securely locked room, arranged our cab to the airport, and let us hangout at the pool for the afternoon.

Overall it was a very positive experience and I would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

My friend and I visited Panama City for 2 nights in January and the Doubletree was perfect. I picked it for the location and price, both of which were great. The room was spacious, free Wi-Fi, clean and comfortable. The service we got from the front desk, bell men and concierge was excellent. We enjoyed the pool, too, to rest and cool off in the afternoon. We kept the air conditioner on Med to mask some minor noise. I would have liked a frosted shower door so that we would have felt comfortable using the bathroom at the same time.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Franklin, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

If you come for business this is a great hotel. Like many in the area, you can walk to lots of restaurants which is nice.
The hotel itself is not as good as the Doubletree in the US. There is a great comfort but there is a small smell of humidity in general. TV is the largest I have seen in a hotel: 47".
Food is so so. Breakfast very disappointing.
Pool is quite small and freezing cold even with outside temperature above 80!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

New hotel, 3 months old at January 2012. Very modern and nicely decoreated. The staff are very attentive, helpful and pleasant
This hotel is in the perfect spot in Panama City away from the Casinos and prostitutes that tend to go with the casino Hotels in Panama but very central
I was here on business and used the small but well equipped business center again with very helpful staff
All in all a very nice place to stay with great staff and in a great spot
IM

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

For this particular trip, I decided to use my Hilton points to book a week at the Doubletree. For 30,000 points a night, cheap by US standards, I was able to enjoy a relaxing week. The staff was very friendly and helpful when I needed to change larger bills for smaller bills for taxis etc.

The free breakfast included with my room was excellent. Omelets made to order, bacon, sausage, french toast, fresh fruit, juices, and the normal assortment of pastries and cold cereals as well.

I had no idea there was a roof top pool, so am a little disappointed I wasn't able to enjoy it. But I did enjoy the oversize tube in my room and kept the AC on "freeze me".

This location is within walking distance of a couple malls, Hard Rock Cafe, two movie theaters, and the boardwalk. I enjoyed walking to Panama Viejo three or four mornings, passing the fish market and grabbing a bite to eat at on of the little food stands near the President's home.

If you want to tour the Panama Canal, I recommend Irvin, a local tour guide that hangs out at the hotel. He took me to the canal and rather than just drive me there and drop me off, explained how the canal works and talked me through several neighborhoods and old US military bases. For $35 it was well worth it and after the three hour tour I was well educated on the history of Panama.

There's a new BBQ restaurant in front of the hotel. They have great BBQ pulled pork sandwiches.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I stayed at the Doubletree, Panama City, Panama for 5 days in Jan. 2012. I selected this hotel because it was convenient to the El Congrejo neighborhood, walking, and dining. It was also not too expensive for the type of hotel and location and had a roof-top pool and gym.

This is your average business-class hotel you'd find in any major city. It is well cared for and the rooms are of ample size and are clean. A real plus was the roof-top pool and deck. The one complaint I have was about the service at the hotel. I had brought some gifts from the U.S. for some of my friends in Panama. When I had one of my friends up to my room to give them the gifts I had brought for him and his family I no sooner got back to my room when I got a phone call from the front desk saying that they had noticed I had a guest and that "there is an extra charge for overnight guests". I found the call rather obnoxious. Did they think my friend was a "rent boy"? I accompanied my friend out and was sure to stop by the front desk to show them that my friend was now leaving.

I can understand the desire of a business class hotel to keep a certain undesireable element out, but I found the experience a bit over the top. The other thing I would say is, that if you are not a business traveler and hope to sleep in, do not have them put you in one of the rooms near the elevators or the housekeeping closet. I found that the noise from the housekeepers beginning their rounds starts promptly at 8am. Vacuuming of the hallways begins in the afternoon which makes taking a nap at that time problematic. Doors to the hallways that the housekeeping staff uses often slam, echoing throughout.

Other than a few service complaints, this hotel should and could be better in years to come. Lots of potential and other hotel staff seem to be responsive.

Room Tip: Stay away from the main elevator lobbies on each floor for the best nights sleep.