“A gem in the heart of Casco Viejo” 5 of 5 stars

Casa Sucre Boutique Hotel
Calle 8 y Ave B, Casco Viejo, Panama City 64063, Panama   |
Ranked #10 of 71 Panama City B&B and Inns
Cleveland, Ohio
“A gem in the heart of Casco Viejo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We traveled over the Christmas break with our 10 year old daughter to Panama...and landed on Christmas day at Casa Sucre. What a home away from home! There can not be kinder and more generous people than Alyce and Rich. From the moment we arrived, we felt like family, but also had the privacy of a beautiful 2 bedroom suite. That being said, we spent most of our time at Casa Sucre in the common living room, sitting beneath the beautiful Christmas tree and making new friends with the other guests. Ibisha, the resident pup, was a fast friend to our daughter. We spent Christmas dinner with another couple staying at the hotel and it was one of the best Christmas dinners I have ever had. Alyce had a beautifully wrapped present at each of our place settings....wine for the guys, locally handcrafted necklaces and earring for us ladies and a delicate ceramic butterfly figurine for our daughter. We were speachless. It was so unexpected....so giving....so Alyce.

The location in Casco Viejo is excellent-- right in the heart of the sights, but a world away inside. It is directly across from Trantalo ( the roof top bar and tapas restaurant)...very yummy and AMAZING roof top views!... which can get noisy on a weekend night. Earplugs are provided, but there is really no sound proofing. However, I am a very light sleeper -- and had no issues and did not need the earplugs at all.

It is so amazing to see the remodeled buildings neighboring the delapidated ones. It makes you realize what pioneers Alyce and Rich are to have bravely begun one of the very first renovation projects. They are so dedicated to breathing new life into an area that has SO much potential. They are also opening a coffee shop this month (Jan) which should be a great success.

If you want to see the "real" Panama City...come here to Casa Sucre in Casco Viejo. It is a world away from the high rise hotels. Yes, there is no pool...but you will drowned your senses in authenticity.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Blue Springs, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Our Christmas holiday this year took us to Panama City. This was the first foray out of the country for our children (10 & 12). We were looking for an experience that gave the real feel of the country with the amenities that make family travel easier. Casa Sucre is a restored 140 year old family home in the old part of the city. Alyce & Rich have turned an historic building into a first class hotel with warmth and grace. We had all the privacy we wanted as well as the opportunity to meet some terrific guests who were also spending the holidays in Panama. Our children were pampered and included in the activities, they had their best vacation ever. We were introduced to several local people who helped with driving, access to sites and loads of local color. I wish we could be there for the opening of the coffee shop, our sneak preview was tantalizing, the lattes were the best ever. Casa Sucre pulls off the impossible, making you feel right at home in an exotic and unique corner of the world

Room Tip: Each room and suite are unique, some are near the street & a little noisier
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

The title pretty much says it, I loved the way our room was decorated. Casa Sucre is located across the street from Tantalo, a restaurant with a rooftop bar. The plus side- its across the street and has great food. The down side- it gets loud at night. If you don't mind muffled music on the weekends then this place is for you.

• Stayed January 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Casa Sucre is a gorgeous hotel in the heart of Casco. Alyce and Rich are wonderful and so accommodating and helpful. This neighborhood can be a bit noisy in the evenings and the hotel served as great refuge away from the chaos. This is a must when visiting Panama City.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was a graduate student doing research in Panama, needed a rest from hostels and community centers, and fortunately (and quite literally) stumbled upon Alyce and Casa Sucre. I cannot stress enough how wonderfully inviting, comfortable, and pleasant my stay was. Here is part of the letter I wrote to her about my experience:

Hello Alyce!

I wanted to drop a line and say thank you for putting me up in March. The night that I stayed with you was an incredible refresher and rest in the middle of a time of great stress and deprecated spirits for me. When I stumbled on your place after weeks of community centers and hostels, I felt like I had found myself at home. And for you to be from Kansas City as well was the icing on the cake! I felt about as raggedy and rundown as ever. I'm sure you remember my duct-taped backpack and messy field clothes. Although I only stayed with you for the one night, when I returned to Achiote in Colon Province to continue my research I felt uplifted and renewed thanks to your care and positive energy. The amazing breakfast and hot shower helped so much too!

I also told my mom about how, when I was leaving, you gave me a huge hug and blessed me with safety and your thoughts, and that you hoped it was like my mom giving me a hug too. It was. So thank you.

I absolutely recommend Casa Sucre. I will be staying there again without a doubt.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

After spending two weeks in Casco Viejo in the summer, I returned a two weeks ago for a quick 4 day mini vacation. Since I was traveling alone, I decided to stay at Casa Sucre Boutique Hotel. I wanted a location near some of the placed I enjoyed during my visit and I had read about the great midwest style breakfast served by the owner, Alyce Sherman. Needles to say, the breakfast did not disappoint. It was both was so filling and delicious that a couple of times I skipped lunch. I also observed that something very interesting happens at Casa Sucre. Guests come from all over the world and somehow, the friendly atmoshphere lends itself to people talking and getting acquainted. Given that I was traveling alone, this helped me feel like I could find company, when I wanted, or venture out on my own. I highly recommend Casa Sucra for singles, couples or familiies (they have apartments downstairs). I'm already planning a return visit.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The moment I walked in I felt very comfortable and welcomed! The Casa Sucre is beautiful, and the accommodations were second to none. Casco Viejo is surrounded with lots of entertainment, convenient shopping and wonderful food.

Thanks to Alyce and Richard my stay was a home away from home, & I'm looking forward to returning.

Debbie W -Kansas City, Mo

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Casa Sucre Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!