“So Close to 5 Star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maito

Maito
Final de la Calle 50 | 4to Local a Mano Izquierda, Panama City 081602944, Panama
(507) 391-4657
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 526 Restaurants in Panama City
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
San Francisco, California
“So Close to 5 Star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I really wanted to give this place 5 stars, but I just can't. Almost every dish we had was great, but the final dish, the ropa vieja, was just really bad. It has absolutely no seasoning and really could have used some salt (tasted better when eaten with the provided chips). The squid ink risotto with calamari though is to DIE FOR and to this day I'm still salivating over them. My biggest regret is not going back to order those again while I was in Panama.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Kingston, Jamaica
“Lovely Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Very friendly staff. The carpaccio was to die for. Never in my life have i seen carpaccio so thin and so flavorful. i was expecting the portions to be smaller based on some of the reviews, but it was more than enough for 4 of us. We ordered 4 appetizers to share, and i couldn't finish my main- which was excellent. I had the grilled calamari (super tender and big) with black truffle risotto. Was superb. The dessert was very different! It was a chocolate based dessert that had many different elements of chocolate, from bitter to very sweet, from silky to powdery and hot to cold. Very impressive culinary work. We sat outside and had a wonderful evening. Our server also was able to explain the entire menu in English....which was impressive, as some of the English words i didn't even know. Great experience. Residential neighborhood. Top notch!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Worth a try”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

4 of us dined there recently and given the fact that this is Panama, the restaurant does a great job with what they've got.
Friendly and efficient service, great bottle of Albarino, and between us we tried about 6 apps and 4 entrees.
Tuna tartar and avocado was delicious and I highly recommend this dish. Another winner was the cochinita pibil tacos. My corvina was fresh and nice. We didn't care for the baby back ribs-they were more like dinosaur ribs and were tough.
Seafood cazuela was very tasty and the duck chow mein was decent but nothing special.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“could be in states or in europe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

friendly waitstaff. nice menu - we did tasting. Not huge portions but very good food. One of better places we ate at. Make a reservation ahead of time.

Visited April 2014
Santa Monica, California
“Good, not amazing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is a nice place but pretentiously priced...or portioned. First of all, don't wast your time with the entradads. The empanadas cost me almost $10 and it came portioned like four chicken mcnuggets on a large plate. What's worse is that it was completely bland. I mean, they have over 10 choices to start with so do your research so you don't strike out like I did. Better yet, order an entree to split with someone as your first plate.

To make up for my poor choice, the very nice Spanish waiter helped me with two entrees: the calamari with risotto and the lamb chop. They were both very good but $30 for 4 chops is a bit expensive. I agree with their mission statement to buy local, organic, etc., but they've levied a very large premium at this establishment for their meals. Their Panamisu was a very nice dessert to finish the meal.

• Visited April 2014