“Very nice and affordable hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Santana
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Calle C | Santa Ana, Panama City 4424, Panama   |
Ranked #45 of 67 Panama City B&B and Inns
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Very nice and affordable hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for eight days in August of 2010. It was clean, quiet, and the staff was very friendly. Some people here on this site say that the neighborhood is bad, but I walked all over at night and had no problems nor did I feel like I was in danger.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Stayed here on our last night before taking a flight back home the next morning. Hotel is a few blocks North of the Casco Viejo neighborhood, just outside of the areas heavily patrolled by police.

Pros: Friendly hotel staff, clean rooms, close(ish) to Casco Viejo

Cons: Noisy (from guests in the common areas), shady neighborhood (every cab we took mentioned that we should be staying here), everyone (including hotel staff) recommended not going out past 9pm.

Would not recommend for anyone not completely comfortable with walking around in shady areas (unless you plan on spending your time in the hotel).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

My 18 year old daughter and I just returned from a short visit to Panama (our first trip to the country). Our impression of the Hotel Santana is one of the few positive aspects of the trip. The staff were among the friendliest and most helpful I've ever encountered at any hotel around the world. As a bonus, everyone at the front desk spoke English, which was a big benefit given our minimal Spanish proficiency. The room was basic, but clean and adequate. If you are looking for a place to sleep and shower for a downright cheap rate, this is the place. Where else can you get a double hotel room with private bath and free internet for $39/night? The other reviews about the neighborhood are unfortunately true--it's not so appealing, but the hotel employees are very diligent about the guests' safety and advise accordingly. It seems like the area is undergoing reinvestment / rehabilitation, and it just make take a few years before things turn around economically and socially. If you are traveling from PTY airport, I advise you contact the hotel and use the pre-arranged airport transportation for $30--it is well worth it. The noise complaints in other reviews had me a bit concerned, but I realized after our stay that the majority of the noise comes from outside of the building, not inside. Loud buses and honking horns are just a way of life in this city. The A/C drowned out most of it. If a completely quiet environment is a must when you sleep, take earplugs. For the money, this hotel beats all others we saw in the same class/category in the city.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

I just returned from a short trip to Panama City where I stayed at the Hotel Santana. A lady travelling alone so, it was paramount to me to feel safe and secure. To my delight, the hotel had indeed arranged the transfer to hotel requested by me as my flight landed after 1:00 in the morning. I have never been in Panama before so I was not certain as to how the taxi services operate in this city. Carlos, the taxi driver that the hotel sent for me is simply a divine soul. Being his persona the first Panamenian I chatted with, I got enchanted inmediately. I highly recommend his services.
Jose the guard opened the door to the hotel for me with a smile and helped me get into my room after my check in by Irwing. The room is what I call basic: no frills, no trimmings. I had what I saw in the hotel advertisement which suited me well. Most importantly for me was being connected to internet and same was there, included in the hotel fee. The room was maintained very clean, thanks to Anni and, every night I got into bed smiling as Anni arranges the bed in a very inviting way.
During my first day it rained heavily so I had no choice but to remain indoors. I had the chance to speak to Irwing, Anni, Melissa (manager), Jenni (cook), Jose and Estefany (front desk). All of them nicer than the other !!! Jenni's food is really made with love, not two ways aboaut it !!! The menu is basically from Israel as the owner seems to have connections with this country and most visitors I saw came from there. Fabulous because I went to Panama and had the opportunity to sample Israeli food !!!! The hotel is enclosed completely and because of it, it is best to stay in the upper floors. Unfortunately the noise of voices echoed greatly in the ground floor but despite all of it, the people in the hotel are the best asset. The area surrounding the hotel is old and unfortunately not very pretty but the old city (casco viejo) is really at 2 blocks away and it is worth visiting. I walked alone throughout the area without feeling threatened, harrased or nervous despite some comments made by some people I spoke to. If anything I felt welcomed, secure and actually admired by the locals !!! The cost of taxis is very low and you can find them passing frequently in front of the hotel. I would return to Panama and I would book Hotel Santana again without vacilation. It is a budget hotel that worked perfectly well with what I wanted to do and had in mind.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Friendly staff but there was just that much noise all night long in the lobby that we didn't really sleep well. The neighbourhood is not really nice, but we felt comfortable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

Everything was better than expected from the service, staff, food and sleep quality. We had an awesome time and the fact we could come home to a great clean friendly place made it al the better. I would easily recommend this place. Great VALUE!

• Stayed August 2010
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Although the hotel in itself in not bad, the neighbourhood that it is in leaves much to be desired. The area is extremely run down and while i was there the vacant lot next door was the dumping ground for garbage for the days that i was there. Furthermore the surrounding areas looked as if garbage had not been collected for a while and maybe this was because while i was there lots of places were closed because of some religious holidays.

There was mention of breakfast on their website but this was never offered. I requested pickup from the airport, when i arrived the taxi driver requested that i wait because he was expecting other people. I therefore had to wait at least half an hour for two other people to arrive. The car was a typical yellow taxi and i therefore had to end up sitting in front with the driver who still tried to charge me the $30 fare from the airport, even though it clearly states that is the fare for two persons to a car.

The streets immediately surrounding the hotel are not very well lit at night and on my first night when i arrived i enquired about a place to eat i was pointed to what was supposed to be a good restaurant but i did not go because i really did not like the looks of it. The only other options besides the few run down chinese food establishments are Mc Donald's and KFC. Not all of the desk staff spoke english.

All in all I would not recommend this hotel for a solo traveller. Maybe it would not have been so bad with a companion but i came here immediately after traveling around Peru by myself for two weeks and that was great fun, this however was not. Even though the rate may be a steal of a deal the added hassle of getting around and not being able to walk to places of interest is a big disappointment.

The hotel was very clean but i am now remembering that my room was never cleaned for the three days while i was there, go figure. I would really like to give this hotel a 3 but the neighbourhood and the garbage situation which i suspect was really because of the holidays and i guess that they are in no way responsible for the empty lot next door, i am forced to rate them a two

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Santana? Share your experiences!