“Great Location but could use some improvements” 4 of 5 stars

Le Meridien Panama
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Uruguay and Balboa Avenue, Panama City, Panama   |
Ranked #10 of 108 hotels in Panama City
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Location but could use some improvements”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for the holiday break 12/26 through 1/1.
Hotel has a great location, nice lobby, bar area and the service was great! The hotel is brand new as it just opened in August I believe. However, there are some issues.

The area around the hotel isn't great as there is much construction going on in the two surrounding buildings. The pool is also very poorly located and very small. The pool should have been in front of the hotel and not in the back. I attempted to use the pool while I was there but was greeted with about 30 construction workers howling as they have a perfect view of the pool area. Needless to say, I stayed for only about 30 seconds.

I utilized the spa facilties as well. The jacuzzi and steam room were nice.

As for other comments made. The concierge there isn't that great. It was hard to obtain recommendations for restaurants and other activities. In addition, utilizing taxi cabs through them vs. regular cabs in the area is more expensive. There was one exception as the cab fare to the airport was comparable.

One last thing. The hotel is very nice, and the designs are slick. But one concern is that a lot of the craftsmanship is poor. With the hotel only open for a few months, there were already signs of aging. When my husband pulled the door in our hotel room, a part of the door came off!

Beyond some of the issues below the hotel is nice and I would recommend!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

281 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
San Francisco, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

We stayed at the Le Meridien for 3 nights on our trip to Panama City. It is a new Hotel,: only opened 4 months ago. It was listed as a 5 star but it is more like a 4 star...as it doesn't compare to other 5 star resorts I've stayed at but it is nice. It is also a non smoking facility which worked well for us Californians. The location is great, just across the street from the beach and the Intercontinental hotel. Has views of the ships waiting to get through the canal. It is 5 stories high and has a huge apartment building above it. Pool is small, gym is good, spa and sauna are clean. Rooms are spotless.

Wi-Fi works well and the charge is 15/day. Hotel is more for business travel so rates are cheaper on weekend. Taxi's are more expensive from the hotel but it is easy to hail your own. Food is a bit overpriced at the hotel but tasty.

All around good hotel, small unheated pool, nice staff and modern rooms.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

Very Cool and hip hotel, it was unexpectedly trendy to be in Panama City. It felt more like a NYC or big city W hotel than any other hotel in Panama. The Lattitude lounge had awesome drinks and a trendy crowd even on Xmas day! I highly recomend for the young business traveler or jetsetting visitors looking to get away in Panama. Great customized itineraries available from www.PanamaElite.com

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

Location is good, hotel is nice but the noise at night is not .
You cannot sleep here - not worth my money.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

This is a great hotel that fit the bill for our trip. It is conveniently located near everything you'd want to see - the Miraflores Locks are 15 minutes away; Casco Viejo is a 5 minute cab ride, etc.

The staff at the hotel were excellent. Mary at the front desk, Guilermo the Doorman, and Yasmine the Concierge all stood out. The pool is small, but we were the only ones that used it. This is a small hotel with only a few more than 100 rooms; everyone will know your name quickly.

There are two great restaurants that we highly recommend - Market (right next to the hotel) and La Posta. They are by the same chef and were incredible.

The trip to see the Embera Indians was also a highlight - I highly recommend this, especially if you have children.

The rooms here are nice (although the bathrooms are designed to offer little privacy); we especially liked our view of the Bay of Panama and the ships lined up to enter the canal.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

Being in hotels nearly 100 nights per year, for a lot of years, it is nice to find a comfortable modern place like the Le Meridien. The quality of the staff from doormen, house keeping, front desk, business center, and concierge was excellent. Concierge service was professional and determined to ensure your comfort. They were great with tours, restaurants, and other good advice.

The hotel is in a great location for food, shopping, and launching day trips from PC. The small health club has top of the line machines. The Spa treatment was excellent and reasonably priced.

The only downside is the pool. While nice, it remains in the shade of the building a lot of the day.

We will return there next time in PC.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

I am a SPG junkie and was glad to know this hotel was available and new when I was looking into our Panama City trip. I paid a rate of $205 through spg.com, which I thought was more than fair. This is a great hotel and I loved it and will absolutely stay there when I return.

Pro's:
- a couldn't be beat location - VIEWS, walking distance from the best clubs and restaurants
- wonderful bed, great big windows
- service is incomparable - the staff knew us and greeted us with huge smiles when walking in the door. they were so sweet and genuine. Jean in the bar and the other manager (can't remember his name - sorry!), Miguel and Christian at the door. So sweet and lovely - all of them. When we came back for an extra night after leaving for a few days they were all "oh welcome back! how was your weekend" so nice
- room service is good and reasonably priced
- coffee pot in room with great panamanian coffee
- wonderful spa with beautiful massages

Con's:
- taxi's - the hotel will only put you in a car from their own transportation company which is easily 3 to 4 times the price of a cab you can find in the street. And if you don't agree to take their car service, you're on your own. They will just look at you while you look for your own cab in the street. This was a very negative experience each time it occurred and it really pissed me off. This runs so counter to the service in the rest of the hotel. For example, they quoted me $30 r/t from the hotel to Casco Viejo - a 5 min ride. When we went to the street and hailed our own cab, which they refused to do for us, we paid $8 r/t. They'll probably attribute the need to security or something, but that is complete BS and we never had a problem. This is a safe city. The nerve of them. I'm obviously still bitter about their smirks as they watched us walk to the street to find our own normally priced taxi, which thankfully we did each time. Beware - if you want a normal cab price/experience, they will not help at all, not whatsoever. This is why the hotel only earns 4 stars from me.
- Showers - If you have a non-suite, your shower will have a window overlooking the bedroom. This is good for sexy time. But if you're with Aunt Edna or your sister or something, being able to see her shower might not be so good. You would also be able to see and hear her on the toilet, as that is also clearly visible and audible through the window. Caution!

But all in all, I'll be back and can't wait to see my friends at the hotel. They are a great bunch of people. I hope they can work out their kinks but I'll be along for the ride.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Le Meridien Panama? Share your experiences!