“What a cool place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #64 of 558 Restaurants in Panama City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Latin, Coffee Shop, Family Fare, Central American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: At El Trapiche we specialize in Panamanian traditional cuisine since 1983. Our mission is to provide our guests with the best examples of our culinary traditions in a relaxed, casual atmosphere.
Spring Hill
“What a cool place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

While on a recent trip, we wanted to experience authentic Panamanian food. We asked a staff member at the hotel where we could do this. She gave us directions to a place, and then we said, "Is this where you would go for Panamanian food if you had the choice?" She said, "No, but that is where most of the tourists like to go." Then she gave us directions to El Trapiche, which is where she said the locals like to go! We are glad she did.

One of us had the red snapper, prepared the Panamanian way, one of us had fish in a garlicky sauce, and one had the pork. We all shared, and it was great! Serving portions were substantial - we couldn't finish all of the food, but it was tasty and we wanted to! We just sat up at the counter because there was some sort of get-together happening in the main part of the restaurant. The locals were involved in party games, and there was lots of laughter. The ambiance was busy, almost hectic, and we loved it. If you want traditional Panamanian food, and you like a happy, busy, noisy, fun place - try El Trapiche.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“First taste of panama”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

i went there twice. In the morning i had eggs over hojaldra bread, it was good. In the afternoon i had the hojaldra sandwich, it was awesome. I also tried the carimañolas, they were awesome. Good place to try original food without breaking the bank. They also had wifi in the albrook mall place.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Just ok - food and service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

It was my very 1st night in Panama and I was semi hungry so I ordered a shredded chicken + veggie dish w/ rice and found it dissatisfying. The portion was massive - I only ate 1/4th of it and it didn't taste very good either.
The waiter was fine but there was this "doorman" guy who was really unpleasant. He looked angry and suspicious of everyone and didn't smile.
So, I'm going to go against the grain and say that I don't recommend this place too highly.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Miami
“authentic hearty Panamian in Banking Area great prices, walk from Hotel Veneto”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I wanted to have traditional no-frills Panamanian food in a safe neighborhood near the hotel Veneto at reasonable prices and clean. I found it in El Trapiche. I walked 10 minutes from Hotel Veneto.I asked for the appetizer platter with a couple extras. It was enough for one dinner and I got a taste of Panamian snacks.The dinner cost me $6 only. I will return to start sampling the entire menu. Clearly there were no tourists which is a plus and the staff was professional, clean, and helpful. I went on a Sunday evening and it was moderately full which is also a good sign anywhere. I ate alone although there were families, couples, friends, etc. A friend who grew up in Panama recommended it and she was right. It is great Panamanian food and reasonable.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Panama City, Panama
“Inexpensive and Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I love going to El Trapiche at the Albrook mall. The service is above average, the fried bread sandwiches are absolutely amazing - roast beef and cheese is my favorite.

This is on my monthly restaurant visitation schedule. I would highly recommend it to someone looking for Panamanian cuisine.

Visited November 2012