“What a great surprise!” 5 of 5 stars

507-262-3487
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 567 Restaurants in Panama City
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“What a great surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We found this on trip advisor and it was close to where we stayed so gave it a go. Thought that we weren't too hungry but they only offer 6 courses for dinner! As each course came out we were pleasantly surprised by how delicious it was! The restaurant does not look like much, but it was delicious and the service was very friendly and they were very accommodating and it was a wonderful experience sitting out on the square. I would highly recommend it for something casual but delicious. Not fancy, great food. We were overly full afterwards, as we couldn't stop eating the great food!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Great cheap eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Simple food, fantastic service and really good value. I was in the mood for chicken with some rice and the great location and friendly atmosphere was a nice surprise. Don't expect gourmet but for what it is, I recommend. I enjoyed the tres leches cake at the end

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great lunch choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

We had a delightful lunch. It's right in the center of Casco Viejo. The lunch was great from appetizers to dessert for $8.50 each.

Caribbean
“Cheap, Filling and Cheerful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Little white washed restaurant right off the church square in Casco Viejo.

Someone had mentioned perhaps not enough food by Western standards?! I barely finished half my lunch there was so much food.

It's a set menu for about 8 Balboa. Starts with a yummy fresh salad with a oil and vinegar dressing, perfect, not too heavy. Bread and a quiche come as starters as well. I was surprised by the quiche but it was good. I probably good have just had the salad and quiche and been done with lunch.

The main is your choice of chicken, beef, pork or fish. It's just grilled and then covered with a local BBQ sauce, nothing amazing but for Panamanian standards, good. It comes with a mixed rice, somewhat Spanish style which is very flavourful.

If you need more food, then there is dessert. It changes, I had a delectable little brownie with a dollop of cream.

Drinks are extra which took me by surprise, I somehow thought it was included. Had a club soda and a green tea to end. A little chuckle that in the tea selection you also have the choice of "dieter's tea".

My whole meal came to 12 Balboa. I ate outside, they have little patio tables with umbrellas. It's not much for privacy but I wanted to feel the warmth because everything is airconditioned! Inside its very compact, cute but too claustrophobic for me.

The service was excellent. The owner came out and chatted with me for a bit.

Enjoy.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“What a good surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

I decided to go there with my partner after checking all the reviews here. But the reviews weren't accurate at all. The meal was the best meal of our 3 week holiday by far. The 6 starters were divine, the mains were delicious and all this in a cosy room with an extremely attentive waiter. Recommend it to everyone comin to Casco Viejo!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere