“Worst hotel I have ever been” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #20 of 49 Hotels in Managua
“Worst hotel I have ever been”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We booked three rooms at the Crowne Plaza for a one night stay by phone. Check in time is 2pm and when we arrived at 2.30pm we were told we could not go to our rooms as the existing guests had chosen a late check out and none of our rooms were available. After talking to the extremely unhelpful receptionist we realised that one of the rooms had a double bed when we had specifically requested two doubles/singles as it was for my son and daughter (both adults). They did rectify the situation but we had to speak to a manager and argue! After further discussions about our rooms not being ready, they suddenly found us another room. When we arrived the room was filthy! All the cupboards were dusty and unkept. We decided to leave as we were unhappy about paying for rooms we couldn't use - and whilst the hotel were making double money by charging existing guests for staying longer! As we were leaving we discovered the lifts weren't working either!!
Terrible experience and we will never return. Please find an alternative in Managua, as it's not worth the money, it smells and it's filthy!!!

• Stayed April 2013
MGAHA, Coordinadora de Gerencia at Crowne Plaza Hotel Managua, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Mrs. Lisamale:

Receive warm greetings on behalf Crowne Plaza Managua

It is our pleasure to receive the feedback from all of our clients that have stayed at a certain time at our hotel with the purpose to become a better team every day in our different areas.

We are grateful for the given time to write your comments and opinions about your stay in pur hotel and at the same time we want to apologize about the all the inconvenient you had.

We would like to let you know that we are taking the necessary corrective measures to turn out better according to the bullet points that you mentioned; we will be please to count with your visit again and offer you the quality of service that you deserve.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Key West, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Wasn't sure what to expect here, except some safe familiar surroundings, but I was actually pleasantly surprised. Lobby area polished and pleasant, great staff with some fluent English speakers. Room was smallish and decor a bit dated there but it was comfortable and everything worked, including the only working iron I had on my entire trip! I have to hand it to them for their noiseproofing: there was a wedding reception that evening within easy eyeshot of my window and I heard very little of it. A minor niggle is that the remote buttons were in ?Japanese, and I did miss my American coffee maker. Room service (tired, didn't want to sit in a restaurant that night) was fairly fast, decent and reasonably priced for, well, room service. The fitness area was surprisingly good, and a buffet breakfast with "Comidia tipica" was included. It was open earlier than advertised which suited me fine.
My first night in Managua, I stayed in a place twice the price of this hotel, and this was definitely much more than half the hotel! It's not a terribly romantic place, but I think it would be good for business travelers (free WiFi also) or someone just looking for a place to lodge on arrival or (like me) departure from Managua.

Room Tip: I'm wondering if the other end of the hotel (I was in Room 340) might be less noisy--again I was...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mr. Stanley:

Receive warm greetings on behalf Crowne Plaza Managua.

We are grateful for the given time to write your comments and opinions about it, at the same time we are pleased for the shown preference and for us it will be a pleasure to count on your visit since our hotel is your own home, on the other hand to offer the quality service you deserve.

Hope to have you home soon.

Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Arrived late from a delayed flight. They took care to have the check in as painless as possible. Rooms were nice, standard American style I guess you could say. Bed comfortable, nice size bathroom and good selection of channels on the TV. Pool area was amazing, unfortunately only had time to utilize it one time. The spa and gym too were of very good quality. The massage was amazing after a rough couple of days flying around central america.
Selection of breakfast and dinner too was well laid out. Finally, as a very frequent business traveler, I liked the shopping complex next door that allowed me to just stretch my legs. Also had a nice grocery store in the bottom to pick up sundries.
Look forward to staying at this property again.

Room Tip: Higher helps with the road noise. On a very busy road.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
MGAHA, Coordinadora de Gerencia at Crowne Plaza Hotel Managua, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Rmc1971:

Receive warm greetings on behalf Hotel Crowne Plaza Managua.

First of all, thank you for take part of your time and wrtie such good comments about your stay in our hotel. Is a plesaure to know you enjoy our services and we hope to have you home again.

Best regards,
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed all week and had an amazing experience. Since the pick up at the airport to the details for my event, everything was perfect.
The Convention Center team took care of all set ups and technological structure in such an effective way that I could be much more focused in delivering my 3 day workshop.
I want to extend my appreciation to the Hotel team for taking care of each and every participant and to the creative Food & Beverage staff.
I recommend this hotel as a great option in Manágua.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MGAHA, at Crowne Plaza Hotel Managua, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Mr. Rodztravel:

Receive warm greetings on behalf Hotel Crowne Plaza Managua.

It is a plesaure to hear such great news about your stay with us, our job is always to give the best of our services and we are so glad to know that we are making it happen.
Your comments about the technological support and security you received during your meeting in here is so good that makes us fell proud about it and encourages us to make it better.

Hope to have you home soon,
South Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is the hotel where I regularly stay when I visit Nicaragua (about once a month, for a couple of days). Despite the fact that it is very nicely appointed, it is the very best value around and it is very easy to get to from the airport. There is a very good fitness room, a nice pool, some of the very best views in town (Lake Xolotlan over the horizon). The staff is incomparable, the airport shuttle starts at 4:45 a.m., the bar is among the best you'll find in this town and the restaurant has a decent selection of wines and excelent dishes. In addition, you'll find nice beds, very clean rooms and flat screen TVs (I suffer from horrible allergies, but not in these rooms!) The Crowne Plaza Managua is definitely a must if you come to Nicaragua.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MGAHA, Coordinadora de Gerencia at Crowne Plaza Hotel Managua, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Pychoiseul:

Receive warm greetings on behalf Hotel Crowne Plaza Managua.

We want to thank you for take a moment of your time to write about your experience in our hotel. We are glad to know that you enjoy th Lake view of our rooms, as the confort of this as well.
Our restaurant and looby bar services have the pleasure to give the best beverage we have.

Hope to see you soon at home.

Best regards,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

If you want a local cultural type experience, this is not the place. However if you've just spent a week in bungalow style beach quarters, this can be a nice, refreshing end. Your usual ammenities - good beds, showers, business center, excellent breakfast with extensive offerings, beautiful pool. Additionally, we had a friend join us last minute and they gave him a portable bed - not a cot, but a portable box spring and bed for only $15. The room itself was also very affordable for the value. Also only 15 minutes from the airport. Was a bit disappointed to find out the shuttle only left every 2 hours, so I opted for a $15 cab to get in some more pool time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
MGAHA, Coordinadora de Gerencia at Crowne Plaza Hotel Managua, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Rachel:

Receive warm greetings on behalf Hotel Crowne Plaza Managua.

We want to apologizes about the inconvenient you have with our shuttle time, we will try to make it shorter in order to not make our guests waitting to long. In the other hand, we are making changes in the entire hotel to make you fell more confortable and we hope our next style like you more.

We will be please to count with your visit again and offer you the quality of service that you deserve.

Managua, Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I think it's a very nice place. the people is very kind and willing to help you in every
need you have.

The food in general was delicious, specially breakfast.

I enjoyed laying by the pool and enjoy the sun at this season of the year.

I definetily will return to Crowne Plaza Managua in my next visit to NIcaragua.

Room Tip: don't hesitate to stay at Crowne Plaza Managua when you have to choose a Hotel in Managua
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Jabu:

Receive warm greetings on behalf Hotel Crowne Plaza Managua.

We are so glad to hear about your satisfaction with the services we give you during your stay in our hotel. Is good to know you enjoy the pool and the food in our excellent Los Continentes Restaurant.

We hope to have you here soon.

Best Regards,

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Managua? Share your experiences!