“Worst hostel we have stayed in, in 8 weeks and the most expensive!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Managua Backpackers Inn

You added Managua Backpackers Inn to your Saves list
Managua Backpackers Inn
Colonial Los Robles, 3era etapa, Casa #56 | Chaman 75 varas al sur, Managua, Nicaragua   |
UK
“Worst hostel we have stayed in, in 8 weeks and the most expensive!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

This is a terrible hostel, we stayed in a private room with aircon and private bathroom. The room was full of giant ants, the sheets didn't fit the bed, the shower (in room and communal) was so poor I couldn't rinse my hair properly. Behind the curtain in our room was a grimy.

The air con is completely controlled by the staff - so you can't change the temp or turn it down.

Staff unfriendly.

Laundry was done well and location is very close to Metrocentro

Very bad value for money, needs to be gutted and started again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

This is the cheapest hostel we could pre-book as we were arriving after midnight. We read the reviews but have stayed in basic hostels and thought we would give it a go.

We had a private room with aircon

Positive: good location 5 mins to metrocentro, good internet, cheap breakfast

Negative: the room was very poor, the sheets didn't fit, there were giant ants all over the room and bathroom. The showers (private and shared) have the worse presure and are extremly dangerous (electric shock). The service was very poor, the staff really didnt want to help with anything

Overall unclean and not worth $34 a night, would not stay again!

• Stayed June 2012
Panama City, Panama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I flew into Managua to meet my boyfriend where we stayed at the Backpackers Inn before leaving for Honduras, he had already stayed there for 2 nights before me... They were very rude to him and spoke in spanish (even though they spoke "good enough" english) when asking for helpful information. He saw the conditions of the lobby and instead of staying in the dorms which he was originally going to stay in till I arrived, and decided to get a private room, which was equally as bad or worse. There was no A/C, it was extremely muggy in the room even though there was a fan that didn't do much, the sheets were horrible, they didn't have towels so we had to use the sheets from the top bunk bed for a towel, and the staff was extremely rude as I mentioned before, which I can't really stress enough. When he told the owner that he wanted a private room the owner carried on about how I was going to be so mad at him (why?) Personally I was relieved that he got a private room and was away from the ridiculously rude and insensitive people who ran the place. They definitely weren't there to do anybody any favors. The guy also told my b/f that I had said via e-mail " screw him he can stay in a dorm till I get there" ( I was the one who ended up making reservations via e-mail and facebook) I never said any such thing to the guy, I am not sure what world he was living in or if it was just fun for him to try and make a mess out of any situation he could possible get involved with ... The area is not a good area at all and is considered one of the safer parts of town and can be quite dangerous, which isn't the hostels fault, but they didn't do much in assisting anybody dealing with the outside forces that lay beyond the hostel, actually I have talked to several people who said they either just stood there and did nothing to help or laughed at them behind their backs, like it was their form of entertainment to see travels getting chased or harassed. I have also talked to other people face to face that I have met at other hostels that stayed there and had equally as bad of an experience..." Needless to say whenever either of us have to go to the bathroom we now say I will be back I have to go take a Managua" That is the one good thing that came out of the place, we now have a new word for our... Well you get the point! Luckily for them, he decided against leaving a nice steaming pile of Managua on the floor as a thank you present for their help and hospitality... I am not one to complain easily about hostels, they are an affordable way to be able to travel, and it is appreciated that there are places that allow backpackers and budget travelers to be able to do that. I don't need anything even close to fancy or even nice and I am very low maintenance when it comes to that, but this place was on a whole different level... Like the other guy said run, don't walk away from this place... Other reviewers have gave decent reviews based on the fact that they have a pool... the whole place is a pool... a giant cesspool. And considering the conditions and maintenance of the place, there is no way I would swim in it. This place makes San Pedro Sula look like Disneyland.

Room Tip: Just say no...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Terrible! I have sat and tried to think of at least one good thing to say... the only thing I can think of was the fact that they actually had toilet paper to use... yes... that is my only positive comment.
The staff was unhelpful and they actually seemed to make fun of me when I asked simple questions, like where to safely go to get a taxi. I stayed in a private room and I have been to jail cells that were more inviting. Most of the staff only speaks spanish and are unwilling to help. The wifi and computer were both extremely slow and constantly crashed. I hated every minute I was here and I escaped as soon as I possibly could. I don't like giving bad reviews, and this is the first bad review I am giving. I typically have fairly low standards for hostels since they cater to budget backpackers, but this is the worst. I even got chased by a gang of thiefs less than a block away. The kid (who carries a machete for protection) who guards the door watched the whole thing simply shrugged his shoulders when I came running back. If you want a war-zone experience, this place is for you. If you want a friendly, fun backpacking experience please find a different location... this place and its staff are the worst.

• Stayed May 2012
Managua, Nicaragua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Stayed in the AC dorm. Worth the extra $3 or $4 to sleep well. Staff is relatively friendly, but I have stayed in friendlier hostels. Quiet hours at 11 pm is nice because everyone is afraid to go out in Managua, so they booze at the hostel. The back patio is a great place to work if you have a laptop.

The best thing is the pool. I was taking dips a couple times a day. Free internet and water is nice. Internet is fast. Also, the neighborhood is really safe, relative to other places in Managua (e.g. Tica Bus area). There is a super market near by and a mall. It's a central location close to the UCA bus terminal (walkable) so cab fares are cheap.

Room Tip: Go with the AC dorm
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I booked and paid 3 nights in Managua Backpackers Inn for the 8 dorm room (without air-con). The air-con dorms were fully booked. The following morning, I decided to check out and get out as soon as possible. Luckily, the owner was very kind enough to refund my remaining 2 nights.

Why?? The weather was so hot and it was IMPOSSIBLE to sleep in the non-air con dorm. Though there were 2 fans but the air blowing out was hot air. The dorm has no proper ventilation as the window was partially closed to block out intruder. The night was so unbearable and hot. The least they could do is to have more windows to let air comes in.

Even though the non air-con room was totally unbearable, the swimming pool was awesome. The kitchen was great and the sitting room. The staff are friendly and help.

I would stay there if during the winter or cold season, otherwise NEVER during the hot season.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

the place is clean and most of the staff is helfpul. unfortunately they forget our reservation for the airport shuttle, so we had to get there in our own. they also seemed to have forgotten abour our room reservation, so we got a better room (very nice double room with private bath) for the first night.
we definetely recommend the breakfast in the hostel (try the "traditional" one!) and the pool is very nice as well. as there is not so much to see in managua at all, one or two nights should be enough for a stay there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Managua Backpackers Inn? Share your experiences!