“Amazing Spanish experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 11 Attractions in Managua
Type: Other
More attraction details
Owner description: Viva Spanish School is Nicaragua's leading Spanish language school. Our programs focus on teaching Spanish to non-Spanish speakers. Our students include Embassy employees and their families, NGOs and mission groups, medical teams, university students and tourists. We offer cost effective, one-on-one classes with a flexible curriculum designed to meet the individual goals of our students.
Kingston, Canada
“Amazing Spanish experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I came from Canada to Nicaragua for 3 weeks for a school placement and attended Viva Spanish School for 10 hours. Our instructor (Jasson) was amazing! He was so knowledgeable, kind, upbeat, eager, and you could tell he had a love for his work. I learned so much in my time there and would definitely recommend it! Great learning experience!

Visited March 2013

Richmond, Virginia
“One on one tutoring: friendly and knowledgable staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The new owners of Viva are gems of information (born of their experience), for a newcomer to Managua. I had 2 weeks of private lessons 2 hours a day at the school in February and not only took my Spanish to the conversational level, but got a fast-forward course about life in Nicaragua.
My experience was exceptional: I had a terrific tutor with whom I enjoyed talking, and she was excellent about correcting the many mistakes I made in speaking Spanish. The coursebook was helpful, with many drills and charts, so that verb conjugations, etc., were memorized easily over time. The school itself is small, well maintained and a great meeting place for other tourists to Managua. I took one of the "field trips" that the school offers to the local food and craft market. It was fun being with another student and tutor, exploring the many stalls, bargaining for clothing and crafts, something I would have been reluctant to do alone. There are excursions almost every afternoon which offer great opportunities to further practice speaking Spanish.

Visited February 2013
NicaSpouses, General Manager at Viva Spanish School, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Mike H,
Thanks for your review and positive feedback. We're very glad that you enjoyed your Spanish classes and the "field trips" to the markets. We'll make sure and pass on your positive comments to your teacher.
Hope to see you again in Nicaragua!
Miami, Florida
“Excellent Spanish School-Quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I just returned to The States after visiting my family in Nicaragua. For the second visit, I have placed my son in Viva Spanish School while I was there. I brought him back because of the great experience we had last year after receiving a recommendation of a friend that works at the embassy in Managua. I cant say enough about the school. The staff, the materials and the general atmosphere. The school is well-run and all about quality. Even though my son was one of the youngest students (mostly adults), the staff took the time to taylor a program to keep him interested. The school recently changed hands and it looks like they are maintaining the quality and adding some services. My son will continue Skype online classes from The States so that he doesn't forget what he learned. I strongly recommend Viva Spanish School Managua.

Visited January 2013
NicaSpouses, Owner at Viva Spanish School, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Jose G, Thank you for your comments. I'm glad to hear that your son has decided to continue his Spanish classes via Skype. This is becoming a very popular option for our students. It's a great way to keep your Spanish skills fresh and continue to improve.
Please come by to see us if / when you get back to Nicaragua!
budapest
18 attraction reviews
“there are other options, so please consider carefully”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I could find only Viva in Managua when I moved here to study, so enrolled. I completed 4 levels, but was pretty unhappy from the beginning. While no longer there, the School is under new ownership/management, and it sounds even worse. The teaching leaves much to be desired, and the materials are ramshackle and mostly copied from other copyrighted materials. I don't think that the teachers are bad, but fault the School for its complete disinterest in progressive teaching and learning methodologies. So without commenting from the top down, the talent there will never be able to show itself. I still study here in Managua, but with a teacher I found elsewhere. There are other schools like the European Academy, which is expensive and, I'm afraid, not much better with its methodology. So the way to go in this city is with private tutoring, which is not even nearly impossible to find. If anyone wants suggestions, please feel free to ask me. As for Viva being the best in Managua: no; and the best in Nica: certainly not. I am passionate about learning, and Viva is a dead end.

Visited November 2012
NicaSpouses, Owner at Viva Spanish School, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Hi-we are the new owners of Viva Spanish School. I'm sorry your past experience was not good, but let me assure you we take your criticisms seriously. We bought the school on January 16, 2013 (only 4 days before your review), so please give us a chance to look into the problems you describe. We are interviewing all of our students and working hard to meet and exceed their expectations. Thanks for your feedback.
Dallas, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Trips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Took several trips with the Spanish school into Managua and the area. Guide was friendly and helpful. Well worth the money! Super small groups ...

Visited February 2012