Having travelled to many countries in the world looking for adventure and something different - I found it in El Salvador - Puerto Barrilas!
It's not luxury but very comfortable and friendly ( I don't like 5 star anyway) the staff are wonderful, very friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble for them.
I first visited in November 2011 and the impact had me writing a blog for my company website and a five page feature for the sea fishing magazine I work on. The blog alone attracted a lot of attention and interest, which lead to me having to organise another trip for guide two guys from England, Andyg1000 was one of them.
It's a verry loooong trip from England via Houston, Texas but worht every minute for the experience. Where else can you see sunbathing saltwater crocodiles, catch huge roosterfish from the shore and feed spider monkeys by hand? If you visit, you have to go and see the monkeys, they are amazing creatures - totally wild but know that visitors will bring them bananas - make sure you have some!
It's a great place to base yourself to explore other towns and areas, we made a few trips to Puerto Parada and the local town Usulutan - well worth a visit to get a true feel of Central America.
I have limited time off and a very busy diary this year but I'll be back for sure as there's no better place to sit back, relax and just chill out!
- Also Known As:
- Barillas Marina Club Hotel
- Barillas Marina Club Hotel San Salvador
- Barillas Marina Club El Salvador/San Salvador
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Private club located in Jiquilisco Bay, El Salvador's largest bay with abundant flora and fauna. Only one and a half hours from San Salvador. Facilities include four small bungalows for four and six large two level, fully equipped bungalows for a maximum of eight guests. Boat, airplane and kayak rentals available onsite for Bay and airplane tours. Other facilities include onsite airstrip, fuel station, business center, pool, convenience store, restaurant, bar, massages and local tours. ... more less