“Great hotel , centrally located” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Presidente San Salvador

You added Sheraton Presidente San Salvador to your Saves list
Sheraton Presidente San Salvador
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. La Revolucion, Col. Sn. Benito, San Salvador, El Salvador   |
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in San Salvador
Bridgetown, Barbados
“Great hotel , centrally located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed three nights on 4th floor (business floor). This gives you free access to business lounge, one free alcoholic drink per person per day and unlimited snacks. Our room was clean and comfortable with free wifi access and we dined in the hotel restaurant which we found to be excellent. The hotel is clean, comfortable and the service was excellent. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Negotiate the rate before you book. There is a big difference between the published rate and what yo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Over the Christmas holidays we went to visit my husband's family in San Salvador, El Salvador. Usually, we stay with his parents, but this time was different. Not only did my immediate family go, but my parents, my sister and my niece went too. Too many people to bunk with the in-laws. Instead, we decided to stay at the hotel where my brother-in-law was having his wedding reception.

The Sheraton Presidente is a well known hotel in the country, from an internationally respected chain of hotels. This particular hotel is the go-to for visiting Heads of State, government officials and other notable guests. Even so, the room rates were reasonable, starting at $99 US per night.

The building is a little bit older, but much of it has been remodeled. The lobby, restaurant and grounds are beautiful, with a large pool located in the heart of the grounds, surrounded by the hotel, a mini golf area, and conference facilities. This sets it away from the main road, and makes it feel as though you are on a resort. There is also a shallow kid pool right off the main one, where our kids spent their time.
The building itself is made of concrete, as are most buildings in El Salvador, since wood is expensive and buildings need to be earthquake safe. This can give the inner hallways the feel of being in a compound, but that changes once in the lobby area or the guest rooms. Our room was a standard room with two queen beds. The hotel advised us that at Christmas, there are many events held out by the pool area, which could be too noisy if we were trying to put young children to bed early. Instead, they suggested a room with a back patio that led to a terrace, with a walkway down and around to the pool. We accepted, and I'm glad we did. We would open up our wall of sliding doors and let the kids run around outside, where they weren't bothering anyone. The view was a city one, but it was never loud.
What really stood out for us at this hotel were the service, and the food. Let me begin with the service. Yes, it's a big hotel, so good service is to be expected. Having travelled quite a bit, I know that it's not always the case. I have no complaints about the service we received at the hotel. Everyone was courteous and polite, and employees went out of their way to help us when we needed it. An example of this was during the wedding we attended. My son can't have anything with gluten, and my brother in law hadn't ordered him a special meal for the dinner. My husband asked one of the servers if he could order him a plate of something that my son could eat, and he did that for us immediately, no questions asked, rather than tell us that they could only provide what was already on the menu.

In case you're wondering, tip is included on bills. No one asked for a tip, and there weren't any tip jars to be seen. Everyone on staff was courteous and professional, clearly well trained in the hospitality industry. All staff we spoke with had a working knowledge of more than one language, as well.

The room service menu is available 24 hours a day, for reasonable prices. The prices are higher than if you bought the food at a regular restaurant in the city, but that's pretty standard of every room service menu. Still, for $10, sometimes less, you could get a meal delivered to your door, and the food was incredible. There were a few items that were safe for my son, who can't eat gluten, and after a few questions of the kitchen staff, we were comfortable ordering him food. He didn't get sick once.

We added on the $10 breakfast buffet to our room. Children eat free, so it was just the extra for my husband and I. I was a bit wary at first, because most breakfast buffets at hotels are pretty limited, especially for my son, but this one was incredible. It had:

1- Pupusa Station: Pupusas are kind of the national food in El Salvador. They're a soft corn tortilla filled with meat, beans or cheese, served with a type of coleslaw and tomato sauce. I love them. They were made fresh every morning.

2- Fruit, Cheese and Meat: There were platters of fresh fruit every morning. Strawberries, pineapple, kiwi, oranges, papaya etc. Alongside the fruit were platters of sliced meat and cheese.

3- Cereal: A variety of cereals were available next to the fresh juices and yogurt.

4- Omelette Station: A cook stood waiting to prepare your eggs however you liked them.

5- Prepared dishes: Pancakes, bacon, potatoes, plantains, beans, hash browns. The dishes offered changed a little everyday, but they were a mix of traditional Salvadoran breakfast items and more American items as well.

6- Pastries: In addition to various breads and rolls, there was an entire table filled with pastries of all kinds.

Needless to say, for $10, the daily breakfast was definitely worth our while. Our son could eat something different everyday if he wanted. We were generally so full that we didn't bother with lunch. The breakfast hours were from 6-11 am, so no one was rushing to get down before it closed.

Like every place, I'm sure I could find something to complain about if I wanted to, but honestly, I don't feel like being nitpicky. The hotel was clean & comfortable with good amenities and great service. Wireless internet was included in the price. It was well located within the city, served good food and offered enough entertainment for the kids that they didn't get bored. All for a great price.

I recommend it to anyone looking to stay in San Salvador, El Salvador.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the pool have a great view, but on site events can be noisy. City view rooms are...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Guatemala City, Guatemala, Guatemala
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Second time for business in a few months at this hotel. At booking "of course, anything you want, yes, there is wifi, you are on the Club floor, it's very VIP".. Upon arrival? First thing at check in is receiving a letter that pretty much says: FYI there is a party tonight, it will be loud until 2am.. (oh, I forgot to mention, it's tuesday). You really did not know this when I booked? (Note to self and others: rooms are NOT sound proof).. Second thing, wi fi does NOT work.. How can you be a Sheraton in 2012 in the VIP floor and not have internet I really wonder...
The most helpful person was a very kind waiter, as the rest of the "managing level" staff couldn't care less about small details including a smile when welcoming you..
Too bad, the property and name have potential!

Room Tip: Ask if there is any room where wi fi works..
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel 4 times in 2012, in different times of the year. The beds are great as in any other Sheraton I know, and it's clean.

The restaurant is ok, except for desserts and pupusas, so I would avoid that.

The location is excellent, the gym is ok but too small, so you can get stuck waiting for an ellyptical.

The only downside is that they do a lot of parties there, specially on december, so I would recommend requesting a room as far of the pool as possible.

• Stayed November 2012
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stay here every year and it's always a pleasure with helpful staff, good food and comfort. But can anyone explain why on the web booking sites including Starwood it shows as no availability after December 30th 2012?

Room Tip: Ask if there is going to be a celebration and if there is, get a room with a city view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is a beautiful property offering great service and exceptional value. The rooms are a little tired but the lobby is elegant, the restauarant overlooks the pool and the pool is set in a lovely lush environment. There are a number of fast food restaurants in the area as well as Tony Roma's. The food in the hotel is very good. The hotel is in a safe area and the over abundance of security seems excessive. It's a 47 kilometer trip from the airport but so are all of the hotels as well as San Salvador centre.

Room Tip: Try for a volcano or pool view. All views are pretty good. Ask if there are any parties happening...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We went to go to see a soccer game and stayed here and all was good from the service to the food! If your going to see soccer it's close to the staduim and to the nice mall. Also the beach and downtown are close by. The only far thing is the airport as it is out of the city.

• Stayed December 2011

Been to Sheraton Presidente San Salvador? Share your experiences!