“Macabre, but excellent tour to Chernobyl/Prypjat” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 63 Tours & Activities in Kiev
Drachtstercompagnie
35 attraction reviews
“Macabre, but excellent tour to Chernobyl/Prypjat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We did the tour via “Stay in Kiev”. They have a professional website which is in line they offer. Our guide Misha did a great job in guiding us and explaining many details. At the end we enjoyed a great lunch/meal with many tasty food. The tour itself was something we will never forget. One get a great view on the disaster in 1986 and what this should have meant for the people that lived there. One can see reactor 4 and the building of the new sarcophagi from very close by. Further, macabre places as a complete empty village (Prypjat) with only buildings, sport accommodation with trees growing on the fields. Price/quality ratio is good.

Visited September 2013

• Thai first
Vilnius, Lithuania
“Great tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very great tour. We was able to see places, where time stopped for 20 years. Really great experience. Tour guides are really very friendly and funny. Especially i liked school, where you was able to find and old papers, with kids names and grades. We took one day guide. But i think you need atleast 2 days. Guide told us, that at night, you can experience more interesting things.

Visited May 2013
Poole, United Kingdom
“To do before you die”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We traveled to Chernobyl with Chernobylwel.come who where brilliant. It was a 2 day tour staying in Chernobyl and the guides couldn't have been more friendly and knowledgable. Email communication was fantastic from start to finish they even sent us an email a couple of days before our trip warning of the high incidence of mosquitoes due to the high temperatures. Our safety was there first priority throughout the trip and I would recommend them to anyone who was thinking of going. We have already started to save for our next trip with them.

Visited June 2013
nottingham
“Interesting and memorable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Fantastic, got back 3 days ago, and still want to talk about to everyone I meet! The empty town, and cover up story stirs all kinds of emotion, not as saddening as some of the concentration camps I've visited, that's not a bad thing by any means, but still emotional. Worth a trip.you have to book in advance with passport details, and it was done in US dollars.

Visited February 2013
3 attraction reviews
“Tour organised by Chernobylwel.com”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

There are several tour companies to choose from if you want to do a trip to the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone. I do not know how the others are, except for the responses I got by e-mail. I must've sent to most of the companies available before actually choosing.

My choice fell on Chernobylwel.com. I based it solely on the e-mail answer and how nice/eager/forthcoming they were in it. Price didn't change drastically between the companies, but there were some slightly cheaper. Either my criteria were good, or I was lucky (probably the latter) - but I did not regret I chose them. On the contrary.

They organised the tour in a professional way and I felt they involved themselves personally so as to give us value for our money. The price itself wasn't cheap, but I had expected that since I wanted a private trip for my girlfriend and me only.

The tour itself is conducted by a guide from the state institution that is in charge of such things. Therefore, whatever company you choose, you will end up with one of the same guides available from that institution. The difference is the accompanying guy from the company itself.

The guide and driver picked us up at our hotel, which we specified. We were able to specify the time on our own, but they recommended to start as early as possible - which we did.

You cross the checkpoint where they carefully go through your papers and the fun starts. First we went to the actual town of Chernobyl, which is only semi-evacuated. Checked in with the guide-institution. Then continued on to the power plant. Stopped on the way by the river to look at huge fish and to get an overview of the buildings.

At the Sarcophagus itself, we took a few pictures and had a quick look in the on-site museum.

Pripyat was our next stop. The completely evacuated city, which is slowly being re-captured by nature. The driver parked the car at the main square and we had a good walk around town. Unfortunately a new directive was in at the time, which forbade us to go into any buildings. Very disappointing. While on the tour, we found out this directive was there since some people had drawn graffiti on buildings etc. Now I've heard it is again possible to venture into buildings.

We specified we wanted to go to the small villages also, to meet with any dwellers there, if they wanted to host us. We talked a little while to this lovely little lady, living on her own in an old wooden house.

This is of course a very factual, short and dry description of what we did.
The emotions and sheer enormity of the trip is hard to put into words. It has to be experienced. I would urge everyone who is interested to make the trip! Since it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, it is well worth to pay that extra money for a private tour.

Visited May 2012