“Soviet-style accomodations and service without a smile” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Rus
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Hospitalna Street, Kiev 01601, Ukraine   |
Ranked #34 of 114 Hotels in Kiev
Newark, New Jersey
“Soviet-style accomodations and service without a smile”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

The hotel was built in 1979 and looked like it was last renovated in 1983. The radio installed under the desk and the 13" tv was a nice touch however. Watch out for the doorman and the lady guarding the restaurant entrance, they are no joke and are not looking to joke around. I asked the doorman to hold my luggage and he gave me a sour look like I should know where it goes and I should be the one to do his job. Then at breakfast I had already checked out and turned in my room key, not knowing I needed it to enter the restaurant. The woman at the entrance (who was probably 6'5" and had more muscles than Arnold, told me repeatedly, "Key. Key."

Needless to say there is a nice ukrainian restaurant near the hotel that has good dumplings and broscht.

Room Tip: The view of the stadium is good near the top of the hotel, otherwise ask for a city view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
RusAccordHotel, Manager at Hotel Rus, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review regarding your recent stay at our hotel .We were disappointed to see that your stay was not what you expected, but I would be grateful for some more details on those situations with doorman and lady from restaurant so that I can respond to you (pr@hotelrus.kiev.ua). Once again, we thank you for your feedback.
Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bayonne, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel by recommendation of the group I was traveling with. They rented ballroom space at the hotel. The rooms are small but the internet and breakfast is free. The exchange bank near the reception area is horrible. By far the worst customer service I have ever experienced at a hotel bank. I am assuming the bank is it's own entity but the hotel management should seriously sit down with the bank staff and inform them that their customer service skills need to be improved. The front desk staff are concierge are friendly and courteous.

We weren't allowed to check in early even though our reservation and arrival times were made months in advance but because of the location and free wifi, waiting for a couple of hours was not horrible. The hotel provides guest with a complimentary drink between 6PM-10PM.

Room Tip: Try to get an upgrade if possible. I'm not sure what the difference would be but the standard ro...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review regarding your stay at our hotel. We apologize for the inconveniences you had to experience. We would be grateful if you could write us more details of the situation with bank (pr@hotelrus.kiev.ua). Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcome you back.
Nevada, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is not my first time in the hotel Rus. I’ve been here several times and I will come back more.
This is a good value for money.
Check-in time in the hotel is at 14.00, but if they will have clean rooms, they will check you in at noon without extra charge.
Also I want to point that on my last visit there were a lot of old woman on the reception desk. Now it is a lot of beautiful girls and handsome boys there. I want to pay attention on one of the reception boys. He has not very Ukrainian face for sure; I think his name is Magdi or smth. He is the most helpful hotel worker that I have ever seen.
As it was said before, standard rooms are very tiny. But it always clean and good smells. The chambermaids are doing a great job. Breakfast is good and varied. Upon your check in you will get a complimentary glass of champagne. The hotel can offer you a lot of services (relaxing, shopping and even air-tickets desk).
If you will not find something in the hotel, or you will wish to know smth.about the city the charming concierge will help you. They have all information about everything around.
Also the hotel offers its own taxi service. Professional drivers. They are English understanding more then English speaking, but they will understand where you need to go. Cars are good and new and clean. There are always several cars near the entrance. That’s why this service is more expensive then taking a local cab. I have tried both city car and hotel cars and I will recommend using the last to save your time and nerves.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
I cannot thank you enough for the very kind words you took the time to write following your recent stay at Rus Accord Hotel. We were delighted that you found your whole experience during your stay to your liking and that you will come back to our hotel. Thank you very much for great feedback about our team, I have passed on your kind words to Mehdy. Also we would like to thank you for your loyalty, we highly appreciate it. Hope to see you soon at Rus Accord Hotel!
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Two of our party of three, including myself, were upgraded to what was described as 'business class' rooms. The small, pokey bedrooms are more reminiscent of a nun's cell in a cloistered convent than a business class hotel.

Perhaps this is symptomatic of a national malaise that has persisted from Soviet times but there is certainly nothing compelling to persuade a guest to want to return to thus hotel.

The tariff is not value for money so our party will regard thus visit as a once-in--lifetime experience that will never be repeated!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking out time and writing a review on TripAdvisor. We are sorry to learn of your disappointment in our hotel. We would like to fully investigate your concerns regarding this, so could you tell us more details of your stay, please (pr@hotelrus.kiev.ua . Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your feedback. Hope to see you again at our hotel!
burton on trent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed in the hotel whilst travelling to Kiev on business in October 2013.

The hotel is in a good location, within walking distance to many shops, bars, restaurants and sightseeing activities. Its position off the main roads means that it feels very secure.

The rooms are basic (stayed in a deluxe) and the beds a little firm and small, but were very clean and contained all you needed for a business traveller, including free wifi.

The staff were generally very pleasant, returning a smile or hello if you greeted them.

I'd avoid using the money exchange facility which appeared very slow and antiquated.

Other than that I would say the hotel offered good value for money and has everything required for a short stay in Kiev.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
RusAccordHotel, Manager at Hotel Rus, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your recent review following your stay with us! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the location as well as the staff to be so nice. Once again, we thank you for your feedback! Hope to see you soon at Rus Accord Hotel!
Vilnius
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel on 2013 october 11 for 3 nights. First of all, i would like to point out the weaker sides of the hotel:
- from the first look it definately needs a renovation. My mum have been here few years after it was opened ( and it was 30 years ago) and she said, that there is no sign, that something have been changed. The room we got was really clean, it undoubtedly did not dissapoint us. Still, if it would be renovated, there would be nothing to complain about ( i am talking about standart rooms. I' ve seen photos of superior suits and others, ant it is very much better).
- there were two of us in a double standart room, but there was only one set of towels all the days.
- windows undoubtedly needs cleaning.
All these thing were really not too significant, and it really did not dissapoint us.
Plus sides:
- the hotel is on the hill, and it is really high building, so you will get a good view even from the medium floors. We had room facing the city, we lived in a 14 height, ant the view was really very good. The next side faces the olympic stadium, it is very close to the hotel.
- staff is very friendly, polite, professional and smiling. We really liked everyone in a reception, restaurant and all others. I've emailed reception few times before we came there, and i've got very quick responses. Stuff speaks english, which is really a big plus, because we've noticed, that some hotels in Kiev even dont have personnel, who speaks english. It was not very important to us because we speak russian very well, but there are lot of tourist who do not speak russian.
- breakfast was really very good. There were pancakes , sushi, pasta, vegetables, fruits, soups, sausages, eggs, meat, cheese, cakes, cereals and yogurts..The selection of breakfast was not totallly the same everyday,so some new products are offered everyday.
- reception area, restaurant and all halls really look nice and the interior is pleasant and calming.
- we found a special weekend offer on their site, so we've used it. SO we got a discount for accomodation, early check in and late check out and also free transfer to airport. We really liked it!
- it is in a old town, only 10 minutes walk from the main street Kreschatyk. Also there is a Besarabsky bazaar on the way to Kreschatyk. There you can find huge variety of food. If you dont wish to walk, or you want to reach other places, there is a metro station 3 minutes walk from the hotel. Metro is really cheap in Kiev (smth about 20 euro cents one way).
Overall, this hotel is the one, which we would choose again to live in. And it is only 3 star hotel. In a category like this star rating, it really offers very professional service!

Room Tip: When you book online in their site, you can choose the floors you want to live in. Afcorse, the heig...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a delightfully detailed review of your stay with us at Rus Accord Hotel, and for highlighting all the attention to details that you enjoyed. We apologize for the inconveniences you had to experience. It was embarrassing misunderstanding that there was only one set of towels for two of you. We would like to know more details on this situation. Please, contact us by e-mail pr@hotelrus.kiev.ua . We absolutely agree that some standard rooms still need renovation, so every day we are working on improving our rooms. Also we are glad to know that you have enjoyed our location, service and breakfasts. And we believe that one day you will return to the Rus Accord Hotel and fully enjoy your stay with us. Hope to see you again at our hotel!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and would have to say this is a decent hotel, well located with good facilities my only grumble would be the 2'6" single beds! Also an amazing breakfast spread!
A couple of tips if your travelling to kiev for the first time, take the official taxi from the airport, its on a meter and cost us 240uah one way. Taxi from rus hotel to airport is 350uah.
The l'kafa café at the bottom of the hill from the hotel is a nice friendly bar/club with good food at reasonable prices.
Its only a 10 minute stroll to independence sq and the main sights so don't bother with taxis, also take a trip on the metro at only 15p a single journey as this will get you to your destination quickly if a little crowded.
Also we wanted to do the day excursion to Chernobyl and pripyat but was told we couldn't as it takes 10 days to process the permits, however, luckily in these old soviet countries, money still talks, so with an extra payment of $50us we managed to get our permits sorted and we was on the trip the next day!

All in all a good break and I would definitely recommend this hotel as a base.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
RusAccordHotel, Manager at Hotel Rus, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
I cannot thank you enough for the very kind words you took the time to write following your recent stay at Rus Accord Hotel. We were delighted that you found your whole experience during your stay to your liking and that you will recommend Rus Accord Hotel. Thank you once again for staying with Rus Accord Hotel!
Hotel Management

Been to Hotel Rus? Share your experiences!