“Good standard but nothing more” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Rus
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Hospitalna Street, Kiev 01601, Ukraine   |
Ranked #34 of 114 Hotels in Kiev
Coventry
“Good standard but nothing more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Due to regular business trips, I stay in this hotel at least once a year. It represents good standard, however the building is neither modern nor new, so rooms and equpment are already a bit worn out.
Staff is friendly and mulitingual. Location is OK - not very far from metro station and the centre (Khreschatik Street) is within walking distance. Wi-Fi works, however speed is far from perfect (don't expect too much as it is really big hotel and there are plenty of Wi-Fi users, all the time).
Breakfasts are also good and there is decent selection of food, however if you want to have a good lunch or dinner I recommend to go to one of restaurants outside, rather than eat at hotel's one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
RusAccordHotel, Manager at Hotel Rus, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your stay with us. We value your feedback and were happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff and breakfasts. We hope you continue to choose our hotel in the future.

Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My girlfriend and me stayed in Hotel Rus for roughly one week in May 2012, just before the Euro 2012 Football Championship.

The hotel is a higher-end Eastern European standard. If you know what you CAN expect in Eastern Europe and treat the occasional brusqueness philosophically, this is a very tolerable hotel. Personally, I have gotten used to it since I am fond of Eastern Europe.
The rooms were reasonably fresh, although worn down.
A nice touch was that every day we had a new bottle of water in the room, which is very appreciated in any country where you cannot drink tap water.

The breakfast is a very important part for me in any hotel experience.
The Hotel Rus had an ample selection in their breakfast buffet, but maybe not the highest standard of goods. Since there was quite a lot to choose from, it made up for the slightly lower quality. I do not mean any horrible standard at that, just not the top of the top. Then again, I am quite picky when it comes to these kind of buffets.

We ordered pick-up to and from the airport. Which was very much worth it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
RusAccordHotel, Manager at Hotel Rus, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your opinion with us. Thank you very much for your loyalty, we highly appreciate it! I am glad that you had a pleasant stay and that you enjoyed the facilities and services that we provide. Hopefully see you soon!

Bern, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

When on business trip to Kiev I usually stay at Rus hotel. Rus offers a reasonable overall quality for a pretty fair price - but nothing exiting and not comparable with a typical business hotel of an international hotel chain which you typically can find in any capital city around the world. What I like there is the typical ‘charm’ of a Soviet-era hotel, even if the better days of Rus were probably in the past. Rooms are quite ok (if you get a refurbished room!) and provide sufficient comfort to stay for a business week. It's quite clean, at least if you don't look too carefully in corners and other 'hidden' spots. What I particularly like at Rus is the breakfast buffet (somehow more like a lunch buffet), but what I definitively missed during my last stay was typical Russian breakfast items such as Bliny, Zapikanka and Syrniki – this shall be a must at this hotel! Staff is surprisingly and helpful. There is a good service with 24hrs money exchange and bar. On a negative note, better do not use the hotel taxi service - it's largely overpriced (approx. 2-times more than city taxi you can order over mobile) - but at least cars are clean.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your opinion of us with the travelling community. It is so pleasure to read you continuing to choose the Rus Accord Hotel for your visits to Kiev. We will consider your recommendation about typical Russian breakfast items. Thank you once again for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Lucerne, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel is quite big compare to other hotels in the capital. It stays somehow separately from busy and noisy streets. However, it took me only 10 minutes walking to the main street Khreschatik. They have good and large parking zone. There was no any problem where to park a car. Reception staff was friendly and nice. I do not trouble reception and other staff too much so I can not say how helpful they can be. But I know mentality and can say that they will give and do for you whatever you want (even if it is a 3 star hotel) if you give some tips. I stayed in a double room with my friend. And It was a medium sized room with good furniture again as for 3 star hotel. Bathroom was well equipped. About room cleanness nothing to say--it was perfectly clean. I think a hotel owner wants to renovate the hotel and make it 4 star hotel or just very good 3 star. I was surprised in a nice way by rooms, but not with a breakfast. That hall was also clean and food was ok, but furniture and atmosphere were more like from 90 then from 2010's. I hope it will be renovated soon. I did not visit any bars or restaurants there because as far as I know they are not elegant and fancy but prices are!! I prefer to eat somewhere out of hotel. In general I can say that I saw worse and better hotels in Kiev. Still hotel worse to stay in.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
RusAccordHotel, Manager at Hotel Rus, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your recent review following your stay with us! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the location as well as the staff to be so nice. Yes, you’re right, we are working on renovation of Rus Accord Hotel, but, as you know, it takes some time. Once again, we thank you for your feedback! Hope to see you soon at Rus Accord Hotel!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Service bad ,only 1 lift working ,no tea or coffee facilities in room when asked reception for kettle for room that's what I got then they wanted paying for it, they could not understand tea coffee and sugar and milk would be useful ,the presidents hotel is far better at least the reception staff are friendly will not be coming again

• Stayed November 2012
RusAccordHotel, Manager at Hotel Rus, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking out time and writing a review on TripAdvisor. We are sorry to learn of your disappointment in our service. We would like to fully investigate your concerns regarding this, so could you tell us more details of your stay, please (pr@hotelrus.kiev.ua). There are 5 guest elevators in our hotel and only one of them is under technical meant.

Information regarding our room facilities (tea, coffee, water and kettle are not included in the price of standard room) is provided on our website, so customers may view this at any time.
Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your feedback. Hope to see you again at our hotel!

York, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Not more than ok but old hotel and rooms. Not a real value for the cost. Buffet breakfast not more than average. Not bed restaurant for lunch and dinners. 10 minutes by a taxi from Kiev main street.
I travelled with work and the room is small and old. The staff are lovely and it has almost everything you'd expect. Wifi was free anywhere and pretty quick

A couple of points that let it down:
* Check in took forever (the wait just to see someone was over half an hour and my colleagues who arrived later in the week took over an hour to complete check in!)
* No explaination as to where/what time breakfast is (in the seperate restaurant out the front), also the people in the restaurant serving breakfast had no english menu and spoke very little English themselves.
* the street noise is quite loud, even with the windows closed
* There was no bath in my suite - Not such an issue on business, but had I stayed on holiday I would have been disappointed.
Other than that, though, for a boutique hotel it was pretty nice.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review regarding your recent stay at our hotel .We were disappointed to see that your stay was not what you expected, but I would be grateful for some more details on those situations with your check-in and restaurant staff so that I can respond to you (pr@hotelrus.kiev.ua). Once again, we thank you for your feedback.

Hotel Management

Been to Hotel Rus? Share your experiences!