“In a word AMAZING” 5 of 5 stars

$149*
and up
Ranked #2 of 64 Tours & Activities in Kiev
More attraction details
Owner description: Tours to Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, Missile Base, tank riding and shooting
Bicester, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“In a word AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Two of us went on a day trip booked through tourkiev. I look at other agents, but as we were booking a trip from the UK for a day tour, we wanted to deal with a reliable company, and they were.

From the moment Natasha helped me in my booking, everything was simple. We gathered outside the hotel on Independence Sq at 8.45am (book kievinn apartments if you want close, modern, and exceptional value!). We presented our passports and we were on our way in a mini bus.

The bus showed a documentary en route. Please do not watch the long documentary on youtube like I did, as it is the same on lol, but nonetheless, it was fascinating.

I am not going to write up the whole tour, it is something I think you need to experience for yourself. The commentary, professionalism, tour quality and content was fantastic. You have an hour to walk around Pripyat as a group and you get up close to everything especially the 'funfair'.

The tour lasts 9am until 6pm, its a hike in the minibus, but given that the trip cost us around £500 each including hotels,food and tour, it was worth every singe penny.

I cant speak for other companies who I am sure do a great tour, but as we we were the only group on the chernobyl tour that day, being able to wander around in a small group was amazing.

Book it!

• Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent Trip, would recommend to all.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have recently returned from this trip with 5 of my friends and its all we can talk about. It was a really well organised day and we felt Solo East ran a great tour.
From all the help we had with our online booking, as we had a few queries, right through to the meeting point & transport which were easy to find, we couldn't have asked for a better service.
Our guide on the day was full of knowledge and information on the site and had answers to all of our questions.
This trip is amazing and I would have no hesitation recommending Solo East and this tour to anyone visiting the area.

Delhi
3 attraction reviews
“Absolutely amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The trip was very well organized and everything went according to schedule. Nikolai was an amazing guide. The guy clearly loves his job and knew everything about Chernobyl and Pripyat. Seriously, he had answers for pretty much any question the tour group asked. The bus was a bit rickety but i don't mind that considering how well everything worked out.
Lunch was amazing, in fact i want to go back just for that amazing meal!! You'll love the puppies outside the canteen. Most adorable.
Highly recommended. If i ever come back to Kiev, i'm definitely going on another tour with SoloEast.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best day of our trip to Kiev!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I want to start this review with the fact that my boyfriend and I took an impromptu trip to Kiev in the middle of February. Crazy, I know. But I have to say, even though I was nervous, the trip was AMAZING, in no small part because of our trip to Chernobyl with Soloeast, which was really the reason that we wanted to go to Kiev in the first place.

We were picked up by the company in Independence Square, where Igor met us, checked our passports, and took our money. Then we piled into the van with the other American couple who were our travel buddies for the day and we were off. The video that they show you in the van was very informative and gives you a great idea of what you're in for. Our driver was a bit... shall we say... confident. I ended up making sure that my seatbelt was buckled as he swerved around the roads slightly icy at top speeds, but he did get us there are back all in one piece.

When we got to the gate, our guide, Nikolai, was waiting for us. We did have a bit of an issue getting in because Nikolai did not have the passport information for one of our travel companions on his list, which we thought was strange since Igor had checked all of our passports before we left Kiev. We ended up having to wait at the checkpoint for about 45 minutes while Nikolai sorted this out. We probably would have been pretty miffed about this if it weren't for the adorable dog hanging out at the checkpoint, who was happy to have some new people to play in the snow with. Eventually, we got the issue sorted out and were on our way.

The tour was, in a word, AMAZING. I personally don't mind the cold, so I was thrilled at how beautiful everything was covered in snow. If you go in winter, though, make sure you have good snow boots. My feet were fine, but all of my companions had soaking wet feet by the end of the day. Nikolai was absolutely amazing, and he even took us to a few extra spots because he felt bad about the passport issue at the gate. This guy clearly loves his job- he knows everything! There are several checkpoints that you have to go through, and one of them had a group of puppies, which we again played with and one of which followed us for the rest of the tour, which was adorable and added an extra level of fun! I also need to say that the lunch they serve you is DELICIOUS.

An extra level of interest during our trip was that a piece of one of the buildings by Reactor #4 had collapsed the day before, and we actually got to go see it before the press, who were being let in the next day! Though the press blew the event way out of proportion, the collapsed area was not even near the reactor or part of the sarcophagus- but it was still pretty cool to see it first. Actually, two of the other tour guides we ran into while we were at the museum wanted to see what was going on, so they hopped in the van with us and joined us for our tour.

The experience of seeing Pripyat and the reactor is one that you will never forget. Parts are creepy, parts are slightly depressing, but mostly it's just fascinating. I work in museums, so I was asking a lot of nerdy questions about Chernobyl as a cultural heritage site, and Nikolai was able to answer all of my questions. Since it was the last day of his shift (the tour guides live in the community outside of the exclusion zone for 15 days, and then get 15 days off), he rode back to Pripyat with us. On the trip back, he told us some of his favorite stories from his time working at Chernobyl and showed us a lot of pictures. I imagine that most of the guides are great, but I would definitely recommend asking for Nikolai if you book this tour! I really wish that I could give them all 5 stars, but they did lose a few points for the crazy driver and the passport issue. Despite that, I would still definitely recommend this trip!

Visited February 2013
isi11, Owner at SoloEast Travel Chernobyl Day Trip, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm glad that it is mostly positive experience you had during the trip. As per the delay at the check point it is always caused by the police and sometimes because of unfair reasons - e.g. they couldn't see a passport number on the fax copy of the program they received or there is L instead of I or visa versa - so the office in Chernobyl has re-send them a program which has to be approved by the security office again. I hope others will read this and see the importance of submitting the correct information required to enter the zone. A per driver who was speeding - I will raise this issue one more time with all of them - I'm really sorry for that I agree with you that it's not acceptable.
Berlin, Germany
35 attraction reviews
“Fantastic day, though the company were a little disorganised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The first disappointment was that the DVD player on the bus was broken so we didn't see the introductory film. In addition, we had been told that there would be around 5 people on our tour and there were closer to 20. Other than that, it was a great experience and we were taken to all of the key sights. Lunch in the staff restaurant on the Chernobyl site was included. I didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked in some of the locations, however I do not regret not going for the solo tour given the massive price difference. We organised this through Lupine travel in the UK who were fantastically helpful, particularly in getting all of the paperwork sorted (we need a referral letter from our University to confirm that we were visiting for researc purposes as the site was closed to public tours at the time)

Visited March 2012
isi11, Owner at SoloEast Travel Chernobyl Day Trip, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for your review. It's been almost a year since you took your trip with us and we improved lots since then. Unfortunately we can't fix the roads in Ukraine so we can't guarantee that a DVD player won't stop working after we hit another pit whole during our trip :( We don't promise a certain number on the group tour either - it was probably a misunderstanding between you and our partner in the UK. Eg right now the groups are small - 6-10 people, in spring and summer time they can be bigger. It all depends on the season and often on different international fairs which take place in Kiev - trade shows, soccer games etc.