“TERRIBLE!” 1 of 5 stars

Kiev, Ukraine
1,116 helpful votes 1,116 helpful votes
“TERRIBLE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

I followed the advice of a friend and visited "Brasserie Jean-Claude" with my wife and a friend. The restaurant is located inside Besarabska market, above the BILLA supermarket.

The interior is typical French Brasserie style, which has to be liked to be enjoyed. Since the restaurant (Sunday evening) was nearly empty it gave a cold and sterile feeling. I didn't care because I just was hoping for well prepared, simple French food.

I ordered the sauted fois gras - which came completely unsalted. It was a real petty for the fois gas since with some sea salt it would have been excelent. Unfortunatelly there hasn't been any sea salt at the table - just standard one.

For main course my wife and me ordered Bouillabaise, one of our favorite dishes when in south of France. What arrived at our table has been the worst Fish soup I ever had: there wasn't enough liquid inside the bowl, just a bit of totally tasteless liquid. The fish has been overcooked, the potatoes too hard so they didn't suck any of the liquid. Instead of sliced roasted bread they served croutons and the alioli was cheap, nearly white supermarked mayonnaise... I refused to eat it and it has been taken off the bill.

Since I've been still quite hungry I decided to give the Chef another chance and ordered the Tarte Tatin, knowing I've to wait 10 to 15 minutes. When after approx. 3 minutes the waiter has shown up with my dessert I already knew that this will be a desaster - and that it was: at this "Tarte Tatain" the apples have been forgotten to caramelize at all and the dough was just soft and spongy.

At the prices they're charging you can expect a good quality meal - not one where you would hope you would have chosen McDonalds instead!

This place, even for Kiev standards, is a lousy French restaurant.

• Visited February 2011