“Good Square for people watching overground and below” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maidan Nezalezhnosti (Independence Square)

Maidan Nezalezhnosti (Independence Square)
Maidan Nezalezhnosti, Kiev, Ukraine (Lypky)
Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 323 Attractions in Kiev
Type: Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Cultural
Winnipeg Canada
111 attraction reviews
“Good Square for people watching overground and below”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had a limited amount of time here. There was the rush pace of the traffic. But underground in the shopping mall the pace was more relaxed. Under ground is much bigger than you first think so take your time and enjoy some of the best shopping of Kiev.

Visited September 2013

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rabat, Morocco
117 attraction reviews
“fascinating place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I was sure to visit Independence Square because I remembered seeing the thousands of people camping out during the Orange Revolution in 2004. But I didn't know about the fountains, the underground market or the statues. This is not only a beautiful square in the center of the city, but also a buzzing center of Kiev.

Visited July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Great, But Be Careful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Unlike my trip to Kiev last year, I actually ventured into Independence Square, and was quite impressed. This is the centre of Kiev, a place where history has taken place, from political protests to concerts, this place has seen it all.

The beautiful fountains everywhere let you sit back and relax, and the cafes around are fantastic for a nice relaxing drink or meal. There’s the underground shopping malls, as you see quite often with the underpasses of main roads in Ukraine, perfect for buying souvenirs for those back in your home country or city.

When I went there in August this year, they were setting up the concert stage for Independence Day, and being in Independence Square on the night of Independence Day was something, a fantastic atmosphere. When I was back in Kiev in September, again they were setting up something there, I’m not sure this time. Near the square there is the iconic flower clock, a stunning floral piece, and behind the monument to Berehynia that looks over you, there is the historic Hotel Ukrayina.

The only issue I had, and something you have to be careful of are the scammers. There are people going around dressed as animals posing for photos, and probably would charge you heaps, and then there are the pigeon carriers, on both sides of Khreshchatyk. Some will leave you alone if you say no (doesn’t matter what language), while others won’t take no for an answer. I was confroted by one guy during my first week there, and I said no to him, but he still put his birds on there and grabbed my camera and started taking pictures of me. He then said it was his work, and I owed him 400 Hryvnia, I was reluctant to give him the money, and then as I was, he said it was then 1000 Hryvnia, because it was two birds! I refused (as I didn’t have the money on me, or any card to get money out), and in the end paid him 600 Hryvnia to leave me alone. These people are the only problem with it, but as I said, most will leave you alone, you just have to be firm with the real hard ones.

Visited August 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
30 attraction reviews
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Nothing breathtaking about this square, it just happens the be the most central point of some very pompous architecture in the Ukrainian capital. Lots of shops, restaurants, hotels and people here, so of course it's someting of a hotspot you should see. Just don't expect too much. The hotel behind the statue is even uglier in real life than in all the pics.

Visited September 2013
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
“Excellent evening hang-out spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Independence Square has great fooderies, shops of all kinds, entertainment (photo opportunities, pony rides, live music, jugglers etc), architecture and beautiful fountains. It is right next to 2 main Metro stations so is easily accessible. We went there nearly every evening during our Kiev trip just to people watch and relax. The monuments are impressive and during good weather it's a lovely and lively place to spend a couple of hours.

Visited August 2013